OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a year of constantly battling a clogged return strainer (usually when I am on vacation), I decided to update my return in my overflow after talking with @Jedi1199 about his set up. I added a REDICULOUSLY larger strainer (see link) to my return. Of course this meant I had to run to the hardware store and get new junctions because I used to have a 1 1/4 reducing to a 1 inch bulkhead and this beast is 1 1/2. While I was at it, I decided to reduce the return pipe height by about 2 inches. I was noticing a skim on top of my DT water that I could only remove when I manually triggered a siphon to drop the water level in the overflow. Now the water level in my overflow is JUST below the overflow strainer but not low enough to make a sound but enough for all of the surface schmutz to leave the DT. My return has quieted down a LOT now that I have a better durso design as well as I not have more 'emergency' time for a siphon to trigger if ever needed (which I doubt because of the size of the strainer) will do an edit with my new config picture once i can find my camera and phone.

E2A8C5B2-C24C-4485-8C81-BB90CE17982D.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to do a DIY gravity fed phyto reactor utilizing replacement parts from the @AVAST Marine K1 Kalk stirrer. Parts in order and will post updates once I get it put together

also got 26 new pieces from SBB corals. Gonna have a nice full tank again. Really excited!!

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Decided to do a DIY gravity fed phyto reactor utilizing replacement parts from the @AVAST Marine K1 Kalk stirrer. Parts in order and will post updates once I get it put together

also got 26 new pieces from SBB corals. Gonna have a nice full tank again. Really excited!!
Can't wait to see your haul!!!

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Phyto reactor pics. Gonna be a while before it is concentrated enough but she’s up and running

Attachments

• 028403DF-2390-4A25-ADA6-1C1788F4282E.jpeg
    028403DF-2390-4A25-ADA6-1C1788F4282E.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know. I am waiting on my Triton ICP test to come back. All of my parameters are as perfect as you can expect. Complete mystery.
Test came back today

Little high on Bromine
Little High on Lithium
Little low on iodine

If I am to blame this on anything, it has to be the Reef Crystals has some impurities. Based on the Red, yellow Green scale, I am in the green/yellow local for my issues. I am not seeing anything really sticking out as problematic which puts me right back to the place of 'jeez, i give up on SPS'

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to post an update. I have all but given up on SPS and LPS and have focused on just doing a Nem Tank and it is thriving. Got a nice little variety going: Rainbow, Rose, Hawaiian punch, green, Black Widow, Colorado Sunburst, White Tipped and a greenie or two. I have a purple passion coming on Wednesday.

Might be looking for a chicago sunburst and maybe a holy grail (yup...i fall for marketing too) but honestly dont think there are other BTAs out there.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Decided to post an update. I have all but given up on SPS and LPS and have focused on just doing a Nem Tank and it is thriving. Got a nice little variety going: Rainbow, Rose, Hawaiian punch, green, Black Widow, Colorado Sunburst, White Tipped and a greenie or two. I have a purple passion coming on Wednesday.

Might be looking for a chicago sunburst and maybe a holy grail (yup...i fall for marketing too) but honestly dont think there are other BTAs out there.

Michael, it's looking lovely!
I love the color varieties!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

@Goaway

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back