5 gallon DIY Fuge feedback?

TheWackyWiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I recently posted about the HOB 70 refugium have set up and ya'll really came through with great guidance so thank you for that! I've been thinking more about my set up and I have a Marineland 5g Portrait that I am wondering if I could turn into a stand alone fuge?

I would locate this fuge below and to the left of my display tank (~4 feet below the display tanks water line). Here is what I am thinking of doing:
  • Use one of my existing HOB impellers to pull water down to the tank (or use an overflow+gravity though I'm a bit confused on how this works?)
  • In the tank I'll have a series of baffles set up.
    • First stage will have some sort of filter sponge/activated carbon for mechanical filtration
    • Second stage will be where my marine block, chaeto, live sand and pods will be
    • Third stage will house the return pump and an additional heater.
I am not planning to have any sort of protein skimmer or activator for now.

One of my biggest questions is how do you regulate the rate of water flowing in and water being returned? I keep picturing a nightmare scenario where either the inflow or return pump is faster than the other and I end up with too much water being taken out of the tank.

Does anyone have experience with building something like this and might be able to guide me on the parts I need?

Cheers!

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I recently posted about the HOB 70 refugium have set up and ya'll really came through with great guidance so thank you for that! I've been thinking more about my set up and I have a Marineland 5g Portrait that I am wondering if I could turn into a stand alone fuge?

I would locate this fuge below and to the left of my display tank (~4 feet below the display tanks water line). Here is what I am thinking of doing:
  • Use one of my existing HOB impellers to pull water down to the tank (or use an overflow+gravity though I'm a bit confused on how this works?)
  • In the tank I'll have a series of baffles set up.
    • First stage will have some sort of filter sponge/activated carbon for mechanical filtration
    • Second stage will be where my marine block, chaeto, live sand and pods will be
    • Third stage will house the return pump and an additional heater.
I am not planning to have any sort of protein skimmer or activator for now.

One of my biggest questions is how do you regulate the rate of water flowing in and water being returned? I keep picturing a nightmare scenario where either the inflow or return pump is faster than the other and I end up with too much water being taken out of the tank.

Does anyone have experience with building something like this and might be able to guide me on the parts I need?

Cheers!
No need for sand in the refugium. IMO, it's just waiting for an opportunity to get into your return pump and cause issues. With the marine block, you should have plenty of bio filtration.
As far as getting water into the sump and back into the tank, you will need some type of overflow on the display tank. Either one that is attached through a drilled hole (best option) or a HOB overflow with siphons. In either setup, the pump you need would be located at the sump (either internally or externally). You then pump the water up into the tank, which then flows into the overflow, gravity has it fall into the sump, and now the cycle is complete!
In your return line(s), you'll want to have some safety feature to prevent a siphon when it turns off. Some people use one way valves on their returns....I don't trust them. For me, I drill a small hole on each return in the tank. When the water level drops below that hole, it breaks the siphon.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWackyWiz

TheWackyWiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for sand in the refugium. IMO, it's just waiting for an opportunity to get into your return pump and cause issues. With the marine block, you should have plenty of bio filtration.
As far as getting water into the sump and back into the tank, you will need some type of overflow on the display tank. Either one that is attached through a drilled hole (best option) or a HOB overflow with siphons. In either setup, the pump you need would be located at the sump (either internally or externally). You then pump the water up into the tank, which then flows into the overflow, gravity has it fall into the sump, and now the cycle is complete!
In your return line(s), you'll want to have some safety feature to prevent a siphon when it turns off. Some people use one way valves on their returns....I don't trust them. For me, I drill a small hole on each return in the tank. When the water level drops below that hole, it breaks the siphon.
Hi TJ,

Thanks for the feedback! One thing I am still having trouble wrapping my head around is the return pump. I understand the need to prevent a reverse siphon in the event of a power outage but how do I prevent a situation where for some reason the pump is not getting enough water?

Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 10.07.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 10.09.05 AM.png

I keep picturing a situation where the outlets from the chaeto chamber to the pump get clogged, causing the level in the pump chamber to drop and creating a situation where the pump is running air instead of water.

Am I worrying about something really unlikely?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I worrying about something really unlikely?

Thanks!
Perfectly normal concern, and not out of line. In fact, most modern pumps have a built in failsafe just for this. My return pump has two of these: A float and an auto-shutoff if it runs dry. I've tested the float, and if the water drops, it immediately shuts off the pump. I haven't tested my pump's "run dry" shutoff, but I assume it'll work.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWackyWiz

TheWackyWiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfectly normal concern, and not out of line. In fact, most modern pumps have a built in failsafe just for this. My return pump has two of these: A float and an auto-shutoff if it runs dry. I've tested the float, and if the water drops, it immediately shuts off the pump. I haven't tested my pump's "run dry" shutoff, but I assume it'll work.
Thanks!! What pumps do you use?

Upvote 0

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! What pumps do you use?
This is what I use for my main return. I don't even hear it running. I do wish I had gone one size up, but otherwise it's perfect. I have it plumbed externally.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back