5 microns rollermat

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you aware of any 5 microns roller mat for clarisea or bubble magus roller filter?

as i would like to buy a roller filter but i'm also fighting with dinos, a 5 microns mat would help, or i have to use both the roller and the sock

OP
OP
I

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked into this last year, there really aren’t any third party rolls available sadly. When I ran a roller mat I added a T w/valve so I could use a hang on sock holder and socks as needed
could you please take a picture, Just to see how you did the job?

OP
OP
I

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get you, but at 5 micron, you will burn through media, rapidly. I think the smallest micron I've seen that's generally available is 30. I have a bubble magus and have tried just about all there is out there.
the clarisea should be 20microns i think

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
400 liters net
If you truly want to filter down that small you best bet is to use a cartridge filter possible in conjunction with DE. Marine land makes a small one but your tank might be on the higher side for its capabilities. Lifegard makes various sizes as well. Either way this is a filter you would run for short terms in your system.

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. Just a suggestion for fighting dinos since you mentioned that was your main problem in your OP.
I tried a lot of stuff to fight dinos and the best way by far is to add biodiversity to kill (out-compete) them off. During a 3 day black out, I added microbacter7, copepods and phytoplankton (Ocean Magic from Algae Barn). And in less than a month they were gone for good. Many times dinos (and cyano) take over when nutrients are too low, which was my situation. So I have to make sure to maintain a bioload that is high enough.
Dr Tim’s also sells a packet for fighting dinos that you may want to look into.
You also have the choice of running a uv filter, but make sure to size it correctly…..although this is just a bandaid IMHO. And uv filters only work on dinos that disperse into the water column at night.
I’m a firm believer that biodiversity is key. One of the best things I’ve done is start running a large refugium with a dirty bottom (rocks with some detritus) to help propagate copepods and other micofauna. Currently my nitrates are 0,01 and phosphates are zero. And I’m fighting to raise those levels. Lol. But I have no problems with nuisance algaes any more. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's still relavent to the discussion, when I had a dino outbreak, I examined some spent clarisea fleece (stock) under microscope. I observe plenty of dino trapped by it. There are plenty of dino in it. Very few dino found in sump detritus (zeo reactor), very few dino found in the skimmer neck scum and skimmate.

It sees the stock fleece is sufficient to trap LCA, SCA and Ostreopsis. Although cells are smaller than the micro size, perhaps most still get trapped due to film forming, or some other mechanisms.

It's not conclusive by any means, just an observation.

On a separate note, a smaller micro fleece will dramatically reduce the flow rate. Making it impractical.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back