5 Tangs too many?

Siddogg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I currently have a Blue Hippo and a Sail-fin Tang in a tank I’m taking down (temporarily). I have these 3 Tangs coming, Red Tail, Purple, and a Yellow. Too many to put all in a 130 Gallon. Currently has 8 Chromis, 2 Lightning Maroons, and Blue Star Leopard, and a Banghai Cardinal
89AF1CCD-3FD9-488F-BC16-9372CE3E4881.jpeg

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, three Zebrasoma's in a 130 is risky, especially when one is already established. That being said, I have a yellow, purple and sailfin in a 6' 180g tank. They were all added at the same time. I suggest rearranging the landscape when adding the new tangs; may prevent the existing ones from being territorial.

315wall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are most likely going to have a dead tang or two on your hands. When I first read your title I thought you were trying 5 different species and that has more opportunities.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that a hippo and sailfin need at least a 180, if they grow to full size they probably would prefer an 8 foot tank. But yes I’d say that’s too many tangs for your tank size.

OP
OP
Siddogg

Siddogg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, three Zebrasoma's in a 130 is risky, especially when one is already established. That being said, I have a yellow, purple and sailfin in a 6' 180g tank. They were all added at the same time. I suggest rearranging the landscape when adding the new tangs; may prevent the existing ones from being territorial.
They aren’t in established tank. Going from a 54 gallon into a 130 gallon along w new arrivals at same time. After QT

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of the 130? I have a Z. desjardini in my standard 180 and I worry that it may outgrow my tank. If it's a 6 foot tank you'll probably be ok with the yellow, purple, and white tail. If it's not 6 feet I would keep only the white tail and either the yellow or the purple. Anything less than 6 ft isn't really enough for multiple zebrasoma tangs (some say it's not enough for even one). The sailfin and hippo both belong in another reefers larger tank and nowhere near your 130g.

pancholt1z28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's too many tangs for that size tank in my opinion. Tangs can be very aggressive to each other. As others have said, I'd be concerned about quarrels between the Zebrasoma tangs.

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have a Yellow, Sailfin, Purple, Blonde Naso. The Yellow and Purple went in at the same time and they do not like each other. The Purple is smaller than the Yellow. I think getting relatively same sized Tangs is a must. The Yellow tries to show the larger Tangs who is boss but they arent having it. The Purple is smaller so he has to retreat when the Yellow tries to chase him off the Nori. This is in a 200 gallon tank. Luckily they don't bother each other too much other than at Nori feeding time.

If you happen to get any Tangs with aggression issues you're going to have a problem in a tank that size with that many.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If small, youre good. . . That is For Now but plan on upgrading within a year as fighting alone will be the least of your issues.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If small, youre good. . . That is For Now but plan on upgrading within a year as fighting alone will be the least of your issues.

sure, however I feel that experienced people in this hobby should really stop giving this advice, as it is an enabler, and we all know that most never upgrade.

Hersheyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 is def too many... i have 3 in my 200 gal right now, a purple, yellow and tomini and seeing how fast they growing.. i like i'm already pushing it...

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love tangs.

However, I wouldn't do what you're doing. I have 10 currently and two in QT and they can race down my 8' tank in two seconds flat. I'd hate for my tangs to be cramped in a tank as small as yours, and I feel mine is getting small.

OP
OP
Siddogg

Siddogg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for all the advice. I am going to go with the Purple and Whitetail together only.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back