50 gallon-5 month old tank

daso

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 24, 2014
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Location
Houston, Tx
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all! I wanted to share my progress. I am very impressed with the way the tank is coming along--yes, I am tooting my own horn. Although, I am concerned with an algae outbreak--diatom I'm sure.

I have an Eheim 2213 canister filter, current USA marine orbit LED light, and 800 gph wave maker., which I bought two, and am only running 1. Heater as well, and I am still in the FOWLR stage, although I did have some hitchhikers on my already cycled live rock. I did not add the polyps in there. Eventually, I will upgrade to a sump and whatnot. I am taking this one stage at a time. I'm a science teacher, and don't have a whole lot of free time, but enough for what I have.

tank3.jpg

Here is my set up. I have 6 snails- 2 which are turbos. 2 peppermint shrimp, due to an outbreak in guess what! :tongue:
I also have a scooter blenny and six lined wrasse. I did have a banded goby and oscellaris clown, but my electricity went off when I went out of town, and the little guys didn't make it. So, I am starting over with these two. They have so much personality!

tank1.jpg
tank2.jpg


I am wanting to add more rock into the setup. I have 50 lbs right now, with about 60 lbs of substrate. As of right now, I am having an issue with diatom, and my pH is running high every once in a while.

I am really open for some responses about my tank! There are just so many opinions to the hobby! I like to hear them all!

Thanks! and Enjoy!
 
If you add more rock you tank will cycle again, the diatoms will go away after a while, or you can kill them off faster if you turn your lights off for a few days.

You do not need a lot of rock in your tank if you do not wish for it.. I have about 30 lbs in a 30 gal tank.. Just make it look nice and be happy with it :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new