50 gallon cube stocking ideas

Snarbleglarf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I’m getting a 50 gallon cube (24x24x20) and I was wanting to add a few new fish I’m going to be transferring 2 clownfish, 2 yellow watchman gobys, a springeri damsel, and a scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp into the 50 gallon system from one I already have established but I was wanting to get some ideas on other fish I can keep that are reef safe and compatible with my current stocking,
Let me know what you think :)

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank, always fun

maybe a small wrasse like a carpenter? Dart/fire fish possibly. I’ve never had one, but a basslet.

Should be someone around tonight to help out

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 50 gallon cube

i ended up with:

2 clowns
1 bangaii cardinal
1 springer damsel
1 orchid dottyback
1 red line wrasse h. biocellatus
1 yellow canary wrasse h. chrysus
1 flame angel
1 midas blenny
and 1 azure damsel in the sump (springer wasn't having a single damsel addition)

however, if i could redirect you towards a different kind of stocking list i think that's what i'd go with today. jake adams has/had a 50 or 60 gallon cube at his house and i like the cryptic kind of fish he was rocking. although he had a yellow tang in there that i wouldn't recommend. but he had stuff like (off the top of my head) a cave basslet, swalesi basslet, royal gramma, firefish, bangaii cardinal, yellow assessor, and a sunburst anthias. stuff like that would be really cool

they talk more about the coral and he totally disregards the fish lol, but you can see what's cruising around in there

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 azure damsel in the sump (springer wasn't having a single damsel addition)
1579490967639.gif

OP
OP
S

Snarbleglarf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 50 gallon cube

i ended up with:

2 clowns
1 bangaii cardinal
1 springer damsel
1 orchid dottyback
1 red line wrasse h. biocellatus
1 yellow canary wrasse h. chrysus
1 flame angel
1 midas blenny
and 1 azure damsel in the sump (springer wasn't having a single damsel addition)

however, if i could redirect you towards a different kind of stocking list i think that's what i'd go with today. jake adams has/had a 50 or 60 gallon cube at his house and i like the cryptic kind of fish he was rocking. although he had a yellow tang in there that i wouldn't recommend. but he had stuff like (off the top of my head) a cave basslet, swalesi basslet, royal gramma, firefish, bangaii cardinal, yellow assessor, and a sunburst anthias. stuff like that would be really cool

they talk more about the coral and he totally disregards the fish lol, but you can see what's cruising around in there

Thanks! Sorry for the really delayed response I didn’t realize anyone answered, I must not have had notifications on.
that seems like a lot of fish I was under the impression that you could only have a few so that’s good news! I went from a 50 cube to a 54 gal Red Sea reefer 250 in hopes I could keep some different fish that needed more swimming space and I am really interested in a potters angel and a royal gramma. What’s the most amount of fish you think I could keep in that tank with an 11 gal sump?

OP
OP
S

Snarbleglarf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 4 in my 45 gallon cube till the diamond goby made it through the mesh top this morning ;Rage
Dang that really sucks :( I currently have 5 in a 30 cube
2clowns
2 yellow gobys
And a springeri damsel

should I just add one at a time and monitor how it effects my water parameters?

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang that really sucks :( I currently have 5 in a 30 cube
2clowns
2 yellow gobys
And a springeri damsel

should I just add one at a time and monitor how it effects my water parameters?
Yes. You could probably get one more fish in there. I have a leopard wrasse, lawn mower bleny, and a clown in there now. Probably going to try a finer mesh and get another diamond goby.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Sorry for the really delayed response I didn’t realize anyone answered, I must not have had notifications on.
that seems like a lot of fish I was under the impression that you could only have a few so that’s good news! I went from a 50 cube to a 54 gal Red Sea reefer 250 in hopes I could keep some different fish that needed more swimming space and I am really interested in a potters angel and a royal gramma. What’s the most amount of fish you think I could keep in that tank with an 11 gal sump?

the additional length is definitely a win, some jumpy stuff that probably wouldn't do great long term in a 2x2 cube could work in there. small fairy wrasses and flasher wrasses should be alright

i feel like my flame is ok in my cube, although better would be a pygmy angel of some sort. plus i'm working on an upgrade because the flame and two wrasses just look too big in the tank now. they aren't super jumpy so i don't think they'll run into a wall or something, but i'd like to give them a bit more elbow room. have you seen luis rosa's tank? he has that tank i think and had a cherub angel in there and it looked great

idk, total stocking depends. some people just prefer to have fewer fish. i do a skimmer + fuge + nopox to control nutrients along with water changes. life is definitely easier with a smaller stocking list, but i like a busy tank

there's also aggression with not a whole lot of area to avoid fish. i've never kept a potters and i believe they're known to be a bit more relaxed for a centropyge, but my flame came into the tank and immediately decided he was in charge. i'd expect most angels to be quite bossy.

Back