50 Gallon Reef

Tateopotatoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after a dabble in the nano tanks, I decided I wanted to upgrade. I have a ten gallon reef. It has been up and running for about two ish months. I saw an add for a bunch of stuff with a 50 gallon tank (it might be 55, I need to check) and I couldn't pass it up. I got it yesterday and have already finished most of the stand. Right now I'm not really sure what to stock it with. I know I want a reef, and I'm taking the three blue green reef chromis from my ten gallon, but what else? I'm moving in a year, so I want pretty cheap livestock (if I can't sell it it won't be too much of a loss). I love smaller fish, but I would like a larger fish so that people walking by have something to look at. I would want some kind of tang or something, but a 50 is a little too small, I think. Any recommendations?
3f74327da64560f24486614833cf07b2.jpg

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It usually takes a new tank about 6 months to become aged and stable enough to support corals. If you are moving in a year, I might think about making it FOWLR (fish only with live rock) and get the live rock good and aged. Then when you move, set back up and start your corals once things settle down.

OP
OP
Tateopotatoe

Tateopotatoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It usually takes a new tank about 6 months to become aged and stable enough to support corals. If you are moving in a year, I might think about making it FOWLR (fish only with live rock) and get the live rock good and aged. Then when you move, set back up and start your corals once things settle down.
I think I'm going to stick with a reef, just only hardy and cheap softies. The goniapora I got isn't doing so well, so right now I'm leaning towards a softie only tank. I'm not gonna get lots of frags, just a few fast growing ones so they can grow out.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 44 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 48 48.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 7.1%
Back