$50 water test?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A water test sent to Germany for fifty bucks is a very high price. The Triton Salt isn't even available yet.
How about testing our water for $35.00. Then when the first evaluation of the chemicals needed to balance our tanks are available we could maybe pay $36.00?

Gene

ewelch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't pay 50$ for my test but I think that the price is reasonable for the time and skill involved in testing. I am still not convinced on "Triton" as a system but I think that the data they are making available is well worth the money .I will be trying the triton system over the next few months and cant wait to see how it goes .

maharsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think $50 is reasonable, people spend that much on additives, IE strontium, potassium, iodine,additives....with no clue whether or not they actually
need them. I am anxious for my results, because I would be doing needless water changes (hopefully), and only adding what the tank is lacking. So it
would be possible to spend less money in the long run, and have a healthier reef system. I think these test are mostly geared towards SPS like me, these
corals are more finicky than the more forgiving LPS.

Triton US

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand the initial "sticker shock" over a $49 water test...I won't reiterate the same stuff that ewelch and maharsreef stated...They are correct.

I think you will easily, easily realize the value of the product once you see the results, and apply them to your reef. And the salt is really not the main component of their system..Use whatever brand you favor.. The reality is, the salt is designed for correcting imbalances and such. The multi-part solution and elements are more at the core of the system. Triton gives you a level of understanding and precision that has not been previously available. As we've reiterated countless times- it's not the only way to ru na reef- not the best way to run a reef for everyone...but we think it is a giant step forward from the evaluation tools we've had available in the hobby in years past. The precision is amazing, and the ability to understand is great.

BTW, we expect to have all of the Triton trace elements, salt, and Base Elementz available around the first week in November..they are shipping to us via sea freight as we speak.

Thanks! I think you'll be pleased with Triotn...

-Scott

BNUTTHEHUT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$50 is a steal. I bet the margin on these tests is pretty slim. I work in AG and a regular water test is $49, tissue test as much as $75 and a soil is around $100. And these are basic NPK Test. If you would like to spend less then $50 a test, just buy a years worth of test = $41.50.

gregoryleonard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased my test pack from UniqueCorals today. Hope to get it by the weekend so I can send off on Monday. Really want to know what is lacking (or too high) in my system and just address that ongoing instead of changing the chemistry with every weekly water change.

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$50 is pretty reasonable.

Analytical laboratory grade instruments are extremely expensive to purchase and maintain.
I suspect the profit margins on the analysis alone are not worth the investment.
My guess is they essentially break even on the testing, but make the profit from the salt and supplements people purchase based on the analysis.

Course I could be mistaken!

Either way I see the value in the testing.
Does Triton provide calibration records as part of the data package?

Last edited:

Triton US

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$50 is pretty reasonable.

Analytical laboratory grade instruments are extremely expensive to purchase and maintain.
I suspect the profit margins on the analysis alone are not worth the investment.
My guess is they essentially break even on the testing, but make the profit from the salt and supplements people purchase based on the analysis.

Course I could be mistaken!

Either way I see the value in the testing.
Does Triton provide calibration records as part of the data package?

Good discussion by all. Triton will provide LOD's (limits of detection) for the trace elements it tests for. Not 100% what you mean by "Calibration records." If you can clarify, I will try to find out for you!
-Scott

OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[h=2]Three steps to a successful reef aquarium with the Triton Method.[/h][h=3]Step 1 – Status quo[/h]We recommend an initial water analysis to prepare your aquarium for care using the TRITON method. Based on the laboratory results, the diversity of species and the population of your reef, we offer you the 'status quo' – a mix of materials composed specifically for your aquarium, which is added to your tank on a one-time basis. Adding the 'status quo' balances dosage shortfalls in your tank and allows your water to mirror the quality of seawater as closely as possible.
Steps 2 and 3 follow to ensure long-term consistency of this water quality.
[h=3]Step 2 – Basic care[/h]TRITON Elementz basic care, consisting of three different solutions containing over a hundred relevant materials for your aquarium, can be added to the water by hand or using a dosing pump. This ensures that all the coral, snails, prawns and other sea dwellers living in your reef aquarium are caredfor optimally.
[h=4]How is the individual dosage amount determined?[/h]a) Setting the carbonate hardness
At the very start the carbonate hardness of your aquarium should be measured and, if necessary, raised to 8 KH degrees, for instance with TRITON Alk-Stabilizer.
Only then can the addition of TRITON Elementz be begun.

b) Determining the consumption of Elementz
To begin with, add doses of 10 ml of all three Elementz solutions per 100 l of tank contents every day. Please be sure to add the elements individually and at different places in the tank, in order to preclude the agents reacting with one another.
Test for carbonate hardness on a daily basis. If it increases, reduce the quantity of each Elementz solution. If the hardness decreases, slowly increase the quantity added. Measure carbonate hardness every day until it remains constant; once this has occurred, you have arrived at your individual dosage of Elementz.
c) Need for adjustment of dosage
Experience shows that conversion to the TRITON method results in significant coral growth and the consumption of Elementz rises as well. For this reason you should measure carbonate hardness regularly in the first few months - ideally 3 - 4 times a week - so that consumption can be adjusted, if necessary.
[h=3]Step 3 – Individual supplementary care[/h]Depending on the number, size and composition of animals in the tank, higher consumption of boron, lithium, potassium, magnesium, strontium, fluoride or other materials may occur. TRITON offers these elements for supplementary dosage in the product series 'Trace Base'.
How are individual requirements determined?
Two water tests with an interval of 30 days are conducted in order to establish precise monthly consumption and determine what substances may be missing. It is possible to accurately calculate consumption from the difference of the concentration of substances of each individual element and to add the element, if necessary.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering the time and money invested Into a reef tank 50.00 seems cheap to make sure the single most important aspect is in check, your water.

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just sent an email to Triton about costs, today. For $50, you can bet your butt that I will order a test.

Not only that, but this will make for a GREAT Holiday gift for my reef addict friend!

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good discussion by all. Triton will provide LOD's (limits of detection) for the trace elements it tests for. Not 100% what you mean by "Calibration records." If you can clarify, I will try to find out for you!
-Scott

PM Sent
Just wanted some clarification and thought it better to do privately.

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just signed up on there web sight how do I get the water sample to them.
What is the next step please advise
Thank You Greg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back