500g shark pond placement

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also want to put this here for your future reference re: sharks.
CASE STUDY TIME:

Let's take a slightly related shark, the coral catshark (Atelomycterus marmoratus ). It maxes out at 28" long (2.33'). Assuming the fish is a walking benthic class shark, you're looking at a tank that, according to the MFK posts, should be at least (3.5x2.33'=) 8.15' long by (1.5x2.33'=)3.5' . I personally think that the fish should always be able to go at least snout to tail from the height, so let's say the tank is 2.5' tall (30")

Assuming you're making a custom plywood tank, that's around 2' high, you get the following size tank:
(3.5*28")*(1.5*28")*30"=123480 cubic inches.

The conversion for cubic inches is 231 cubic inches per gallon. Therefore, we can convert our cubic inches to gallonage:
123480 cubic inches * 1 gallon/231 cubic inches ~= 535 gallons.

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also want to put this here for your future reference re: sharks.
CASE STUDY TIME:

Let's take a slightly related shark, the coral catshark (Atelomycterus marmoratus ). It maxes out at 28" long (2.33'). Assuming the fish is a walking benthic class shark, you're looking at a tank that, according to the MFK posts, should be at least (3.5x2.33'=) 8.15' long by (1.5x2.33'=)3.5' . I personally think that the fish should always be able to go at least snout to tail from the height, so let's say the tank is 2.5' tall (30")

Assuming you're making a custom plywood tank, that's around 2' high, you get the following size tank:
(3.5*28")*(1.5*28")*30"=123480 cubic inches.

The conversion for cubic inches is 231 cubic inches per gallon. Therefore, we can convert our cubic inches to gallonage:
123480 cubic inches * 1 gallon/231 cubic inches ~= 535 gallons.
Thx for the math I'll use that as a reference, how do you make a custom tank, do you just do plywood and seal it? I'm confused

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for the math I'll use that as a reference, how do you make a custom tank, do you just do plywood and seal it? I'm confused
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
However, as my handle/username implies, I'm a fish geek. I know very very little about construction/plumbing. Hopefully anybody who knows about this type of construction will be able to teach you (and me!) about what stands behind the construction of a good plywood tank. But I digress.

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
king of diy has a series on it but i've never built a tank so idk if any of his info is right
fair enough, also every diagram I make is just 2 squares one is a equitment cabinet one is a tank
also same i can't draw diagram's

Bhor217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your enthusiasm and please try to keep it going!

I would highly recommend not trying to build your own tank, as too many things can go wrong.

You likely could accomplish your goal of staying below $2,000 but it is important to research twice and buy once. I cannot tell you how much money I have wasted on buying things twice when trying to cut costs.

Reccomend you check out https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.138750/ to get basic information on what you are looking for to set up a tank. the link will have all the information on equipment you need.

Just so you know, sumps typically go directly below the tank, housed within a stand, which will not affect your overall footprint, so you could keep that additonal space to the side open for an ATO or somehting else you inevitably need down the line.

I have had predator tanks and they are great, rays are one fish i have not had but they are very similar in terms of care to sharks. Need as much open substrate as possible, and look for a more softer, finer substrate so they dont irritate their bellys.

I know it is hard to do, trust me, but try to come up with a full plan on everything and then buy rather than try to do it piecemeal. You could even get lucky and snag a second hand tank or specific equipment on the cheap on CL or Facebook.

Keep asking questions and helpful people will answer you, you will never stop learning things on here!

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your enthusiasm and please try to keep it going!

I would highly recommend not trying to build your own tank, as too many things can go wrong.

You likely could accomplish your goal of staying below $2,000 but it is important to research twice and buy once. I cannot tell you how much money I have wasted on buying things twice when trying to cut costs.

Reccomend you check out https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.138750/ to get basic information on what you are looking for to set up a tank. the link will have all the information on equipment you need.

Just so you know, sumps typically go directly below the tank, housed within a stand, which will not affect your overall footprint, so you could keep that additonal space to the side open for an ATO or somehting else you inevitably need down the line.

I have had predator tanks and they are great, rays are one fish i have not had but they are very similar in terms of care to sharks. Need as much open substrate as possible, and look for a more softer, finer substrate so they dont irritate their bellys.

I know it is hard to do, trust me, but try to come up with a full plan on everything and then buy rather than try to do it piecemeal. You could even get lucky and snag a second hand tank or specific equipment on the cheap on CL or Facebook.

Keep asking questions and helpful people will answer you, you will never stop learning things on here!
awesome, thanks for the help! I do have a question what sand do I get? is there specialty sand for it? I have very fine sand in my reef tank, but I've heard they need really soft fine sand

Bhor217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finer coral sand or fine argonite sand should be more than enough. Keeping stable water parameters will also be important as species like sharks and rays do not do well in high nitrate systems.

If you have an established, successful reef tank, you likely have the foundation for success in place, so making aure you have the proper sized tank for a ray is key as well as setting up the scape specifcially for the ray. (alot of open space on sandbed, minimal decorations, basically kinda boring.)

I take it you are comfortable with testing and monitoring your water parameters?

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finer coral sand or fine argonite sand should be more than enough. Keeping stable water parameters will also be important as species like sharks and rays do not do well in high nitrate systems.

If you have an established, successful reef tank, you likely have the foundation for success in place, so making aure you have the proper sized tank for a ray is key as well as setting up the scape specifcially for the ray. (alot of open space on sandbed, minimal decorations, basically kinda boring.)

I take it you are comfortable with testing and monitoring your water parameters?
Yes, I am comfortable in testing and monitoring parameters, I've heard of people using playground sand and pool filter sand, but i don't trust that, I'm thinking a 150ish gallon tank

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ello, again, I have constructed a plan for my ray tank
I will get a 150 water container (one of the big plastic tubs), I'll it with a canister filter and a protein skimmer that is a little overkill, I'll put some powerful powerheads for water movement and some very basic led lighting that will look nice and is cheap, oh also some sand, thought?

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you said you were 14 right?

what do you plan to do if you want to go to college in a couple years
or if you are to busy from school?

Eagle.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go on amazon and get a pool that is 4,000 gallons for like 250 $.

Eagle.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow thanks that's so easy never thought of that omg thanks! so cost effective not like 25% water change is hundreds of dollars that's crazy

make sure it is one of these. ^. with the stands and not the inflatable ones. and I don't know about sharks but if they have sharp fins get a tarp. But filling it up and cycling it will probably take more than 4 months so be patient.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 49 52.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.6%
Back