540g Display, 1025g Total System Build

SWEmotions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has begun:

My wife and I recently purchased our dream house in the small town of Basehor, KS on 3 acres.
We decided early on while house shopping that a very large basement where I could build out my fish room was a must and we just happened to find it.

We are walling off the far end of our basement to build my fish room that will display my 540g display tank (8' long x3' width x 3' height) as a picture frame view surrounded by a stone fascia. In the back of the fish room I will house 2 x 90g Aquarium Masters Frag Tanks (72" length x 24"width x 12" height) a 180g Oceanic (72" length x 24" width x 24" height) live rock tank and pod farm, and all tanks will be supported by a 125g Marineland (72" length x 24" width x 18' height) custom built sump by "Local Kansas City Forum Acrylic Master "Dave - Inky"

The 540g will be plumbed with a closed loop system powered by a Reeflo Gold Snapper/Dart Hybrid using a Ocean Motion (option 3) 4 way valve to allow for variable flow. I am going to be draining the display tank into the sump using the bean animal system via a 4' long overflow box that is being custom built for the tank by Inky, while the other 3 aquariums will all have the standard sized Inky Boxes installed to drain to the sump. (So far I am thinking of using 4 x 32" Reef Breeders Slim LED Fixtures but have not yet ordered anything, I want 24 hour a day electronic adjustable lighting for the tank so that no matter when I go down to see my tank I can see my tank...)

The 125g custom built sump by "Inky" will house a Super Reef Octopus Regal 300-INT protein skimmer, a pair of 1000w heaters controlled by a pair of CA Controller's and contain my ATO that is fed by a Spectra Pure MaxCap 2:1 Automatic Flush 90-GPD RO/DI System. The sump will feed all the aquariums from a Reeflo Gold Hammerhead/Barracuda Hybrid. There will also be 2 x BRS Dual Reactors all 4 chambers running lignite carbon for water clarity feeding into the sump.

The twin 90g frag tanks will be lit by 6 LavishBoxes (120w fully controllable LED units).

The 180g tank will be used as liverock and Pod Farm and will be unlit.

At this point we have removed the carpet from the new fishroom area, we have built the rear support stands for the dual 90g tanks and the 180g leaving plenty of room for salt storage and other goodies on the bottom left corner of the stand (See pictures)

The steel stand was just load tested at 8000lbs and held strong, its being sent out to paint after a final clean up and the addition of some custom braces I requested to stand on around the tank.

Once the stand is in place and the tanks up on top we will begin the polishing project as this was a used 540g acrylic tank that fell into my hands for a great price...

The electricians are supposed to be coming out today to begin work on the dedicated circuit, installing all my new outlets and setting up the generator feed to ensure that I never lose power to my system during our cold Kansas Winters, they will also be setting up a humidity controller and fan system that will auto vent the room outside the house as humidity levels rise.

Well that's about it for now...I'm sure I forgot a thing or two but will add them along the way...

Now for some pics...

Here is the stand right after the pressure test:
IMG_0326.JPG

Here is the area of the basement where the tank and fishroom will be located: (Sorry for the Photobomb this pic was taken by my wife when we were touring the house with a realtor considering making the offer) "Yes that is the central drain for the house just beside where the tanks going for easy water changes, that is also the central water supply to the house on the back left side of the wall for easy water access"
IMG_2324.JPG

Here is the aquarium: (it originally had some crazy foam background the prior owner removed)
IMG_0313.JPG

Here is the construction so far of the back half of the fish room:
IMG_0314.JPG

Last edited:

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats my friends.
Nice build!

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be an incredible build!!

OP
OP
SWEmotions

SWEmotions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the stand finally arrived and thankfully they got the cross braces in the exact right spots where they wont interfere with my closed loop system.
Now to convince 6 friends to stop by to help me get it on the stand...

My two 90g frag tanks found their way downstairs to their future home, so here is a nice photo of them to go along with the shots of the stand.

The guy that built the stand only brought me a 1/2" sheet of plywood for the bottom which bowed when we put any weight across it. It is going to be replaced with a 3/4" piece of plywood tomorrow to better support the sump and return pumps.

IMG_0373.JPG IMG_0374.JPG IMG_0375.JPG

OP
OP
SWEmotions

SWEmotions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the electrician has been hard at work here since 10:30am.
We discovered shortly after buying our house the complete lack of electrical plugs in the Aquarium Room area and the fact that it was all concrete walls on 2/3 of the area.
We also joyously discovered our primary fuse box was full. Thankfully we found a great local electrician to come out and install a secondary breaker box next to our main control panel to add space for additional home improvements. Due to the need for multiple electrical access points to power the system along with needing the bypass for the Generator hook ups he is installing a third breaker box in the Aquarium room for quick access in the event of an emergency. We are installing 2 x 4 outlet boxes (1 for each of the 90 gallon frag tanks) under the back wall stand, 2 x 4 outlet boxes on the right wall facing the tank for hooking up all the sump equipment, then 2 x 4 outlet boxes close to the ceiling for all the lighting each set of boxes will be on their own breaker.

Here are the progress pics from today:

IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back