55 gallon options.

Josh752

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all brand new to the salt life. But I have a friend who’s gotten me interested is hooking me up with a sump live rock and protein skimmer all I need is the tank he has ro water and is going to help me through the cycling and full process which is amazing! But I’m leaning towards a 55 gallon it’s about all I have room for and I can generally find the best deals on used tanks in my area that are 55 gallons.. but now comes the big question after looking more at tanks and things the biggest question I have is can this tank support a one spot fox face honesty the only reason why I’m really wanting to get into this hobby is to keep one and a mandarin goby by far the 2 best fish I’ve seen is it possible to get away with these 2 fish and a pair of clowns in a 55 gallon will it be big enough for the fox face for life ?

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all brand new to the salt life. But I have a friend who’s gotten me interested is hooking me up with a sump live rock and protein skimmer all I need is the tank he has ro water and is going to help me through the cycling and full process which is amazing! But I’m leaning towards a 55 gallon it’s about all I have room for and I can generally find the best deals on used tanks in my area that are 55 gallons.. but now comes the big question after looking more at tanks and things the biggest question I have is can this tank support a one spot fox face honesty the only reason why I’m really wanting to get into this hobby is to keep one and a mandarin goby by far the 2 best fish I’ve seen is it possible to get away with these 2 fish and a pair of clowns in a 55 gallon will it be big enough for the fox face for life ?
In my opinion, no unfortunately. Though you’d get a good few years before needing to rehome it, if your morally ok with that sort of thing.

OP
OP
Josh752

Josh752

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay well I will try to find a 75 it’s just in this area they are crazy. Expensive compared to a 55 and I’m just curious why exactly would they need a 75? I mean they only get 6 or 7 inches and the 55 is still a 4 foot tank?

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay well I will try to find a 75 it’s just in this area they are crazy. Expensive compared to a 55 and I’m just curious why exactly would they need a 75? I mean they only get 6 or 7 inches and the 55 is still a 4 foot tank?
They are super active and seven inches is a big fish for a four footer.

OP
OP
Josh752

Josh752

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay would you even say they would be okay in a 4 foot tank for life? I’ve also done some reading and not a wild caught but a captive bred yellow tang I’ve heard averages out at a max of 5 inches would that be acceptable for the 55 instead? I just want to try and work in 1 bigger fish that would be okay with for life and build the rest of the tank around them any suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay would you even say they would be okay in a 4 foot tank for life? I’ve also done some reading and not a wild caught but a captive bred yellow tang I’ve heard averages out at a max of 5 inches would that be acceptable for the 55 instead? I just want to try and work in 1 bigger fish that would be okay with for life and build the rest of the tank around them any suggestions are welcome and appreciated!
It’s an opinionated topic but in my opinion a yellow tang needs 5’ bare minimum. I personally wouldnt keep one in a tank smaller than 6’. Smaller bristletooth tang species could work in a 4’ maybe have a look if there’s any of those you like :)

Fishkins88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an opinionated topic but in my opinion a yellow tang needs 5’ bare minimum. I personally wouldnt keep one in a tank smaller than 6’. Smaller bristletooth tang species could work in a 4’ maybe have a look if there’s any of those you like :)
I have a Tomini / flame fin tang and find them beautiful. Mine has a fantastic personality and interacts great with my smaller fish. These fall in the category of the bristletooth species. I am in the process of upgrading to a 55 gallon and feel that I can keep him for life in it.

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can we get the dimesnsions. I was taking standard 55 gallon size which is 3' x 18" x 18". If it has a 12"+ depth i think the foxface might be fine, however the tang is too active.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can we get the dimesnsions. I was taking standard 55 gallon size which is 3' x 18" x 18". If it has a 12"+ depth i think the foxface might be fine, however the tang is too active.
Standard 55" is 48"x12" footprint.

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard 55 gallons are 4’ long not 3’

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They recently just had a sale at Petco for 75 gallon tanks, I think it’s over but I’m sure they will have another sale soon

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo I think most fish you can have in a 75 gallon you can have in a 55 gallon. standard 75 gallons are the same size as standard 55 gallon besides the width, and I think fish need more space length wise than width wise.

Last edited:

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know people are going to bash me for this but I think most fish you can have in a 75 gallon you can have in a 55 gallon. standard 75 gallons are the same size as standard 55 gallon besides the width, and I think fish need more space length wise than width wise.
fair enough, yet unless the fish grows longer than the depth of the tank

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also a mandarin dragonet is very hard to feed so you might want to rethink that one... they need live copepods and you only get that in putting a lot in or a old tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back