5g Arcrylic ATO duel feed

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. Been a while since I've done any DIY and had a some free time this week so I did a couple of little projects.

First up is the duel feed ATO Container. I've also posted the design specs for anyone to use. This designe will hose 2 pumps as it's a pretty large container which will feed the 110g DT and the 30g QT tank or a frag system at a later date.

I went for the grey and orange to match the plumbing which I had to change out but there you go lol.

Anyhow once the Arcrylic was cut to size I joined it all together with Masking tape just to ensure the panels were a solid fit which they were, so onto the cutting a drilling. Unfortunately I didn't have access to my router so all was done by a not so great jog saw. Not the best finish but for my use it'll have to do. Note that any edges to be bonded should not be flame polished. Any finished edges can be roughed up with 280 grid sandpaper.

When welding this together I started by using one side as my flat surface as this was the biggest panel, first panel to fix was the front panel, followed by the base then the rear.

It was important to leave the top off at this point until the leak test was complete as any leaks would have been difficult to repair on the inside with only a 4" access hole to reach into.

When welding each panel I used the pin method and clamps. I let the panel sit for approx 15 min before moving onto the next just to be sure there was no movement (no second chance with welding Arcrylic). For drilling the threaded holes this was done with an M6 tap. Using wd40 as lubricant. (plz ensure the material is sufficiently cleaned before using on your system if you use this method)

Leak test was all satisfactory so the top was welded on and all is good.

Note that these measurements are based on 5.5mm Arcrylic sheets and adjustment should be taken into account for different sized material.

Arcrylic is a great material to work with for us DIY'ers and anyone wishing to try should definitely go for it. Every project you do will turn out better than the last.

Finally I had some left over Arcrylic which I used to make the 5 tube holder. Nothing special here but worth to mention drill before you cut, it's easier to hold a larger piece of material when drilling than the final working size. As for the holes they were all started with a 2mm drill bit to ensure correct allingment then onto the final 6mm for RO tubing.

OK guys/girls thnx for checking the build out and I hope some of you can make use of this.

IMG-20190523-WA0058.jpeg
20190523_004651.jpeg
20190523_192957~2.jpeg
20190523_194653~2.jpeg
20190523_202118~2.jpeg
20190523_203717~2.jpeg
20190527_231256~2.jpeg
1558984055103~3.jpeg
20190527_171311~2.jpeg
20190527_231515.jpeg
20190527_171458.jpeg

First-time Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very clean approach to an ato reservoir. Thank you for this as I'll soon be putting together one of my own. Looks great!

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very clean approach to an ato reservoir. Thank you for this as I'll soon be putting together one of my own. Looks great!
Tha k you. I hope this has inspired you.. I'm. Sure you have your own design but feel free to use this [emoji4]

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had a few set backs... the doors and ATO won't fit. back to drawing board! ;Dead
Oh dang. Sorry to hear that. Can't say I've not made the same mistakes before [emoji85]. Keep at it. It'll all be worth it in the end [emoji106]

lvsuckerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Build.

I under/over measured when I built my ATS well it is still sitting in the garage. I measured everything but the bottom Plate So I was a 1/2 in off. As The wise words are always used "Back to the Drawing board"

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Build.

I under/over measured when I built my ATS well it is still sitting in the garage. I measured everything but the bottom Plate So I was a 1/2 in off. As The wise words are always used "Back to the Drawing board"
Ahhhh. I've done that before. Lucky for me I over measured and it was wood so easy fix. A wise old man once told me. Measure twice do the job once lol. I still use that philosophy now.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say, I did measure twice. Problem is I can’t move my sump once it’s full. So I *can* fit my ATO reservoir in under my stand but I won’t be able to take it out, once the sump is full. Still unsure if I should use it knowing I won’t be able to remove it, or replace it with one I will be able to remove to clean easily.

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say, I did measure twice. Problem is I can’t move my sump once it’s full. So I *can* fit my ATO reservoir in under my stand but I won’t be able to take it out, once the sump is full. Still unsure if I should use it knowing I won’t be able to remove it, or replace it with one I will be able to remove to clean easily.
Can you get your hand inside of it. If the opening is large enough I'd go for it. Once it's in if you can clean it in there it'll be OK I guess. Shame to not use it [emoji4].

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back