60 cube after a 12+ year break

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Decided to get back into the hobby. I have 3 daughters and they (2 of them) missed having a tank and the 3rd one is just 18 months old, but she LOVES fish so it was only a matter of time before I started another tank or needed a reason to start one.

To my shock, when I got home with a 60 cube, my wife said "that's it". She is used to an 800 gallon in wall being the largest to the smallest of 240 gallon. When she said that, I thought to myself what have I done, I missed the opportunity to go bigger. But I am happy with my decision, so I bought equipment that could always go on a larger tank down the road. I didn't want to spend a ton of money in case I just didn't have the passion I used to have. So I was going to go cheap, but that just doesn't happen in anything I do, so I spent way to much but I wanted to have the best equipment I felt was on the market.

Tank: Deep Blue 60 Cube RR
Stand and Hood: Custom built to my spec's from a company in Florida (they deliver free to my LFS)
Sump: Eshopps RS-100
Lighting 1: Started with a Reef Breeder (didn't like it) went with a EcoTech Radion Gen3 Pro
Lighting 2: T5 - 4 x 24 watt mix of ATI and Kz bulbs
Flow: 2 x VorTech MP10QD
Return Pump: Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One 4000 Pro Series Pump
Moon Light 1: Reef Brite MML200 Mogul Moonlight LED
Moon Light 2: Neptune LMS w/5 pods
Skimmer 1: Vertex Omega 130 Internal Protein Skimmer (too big for sump for my liking) Removed
Skimmer 2: Reef Octopus 110SSS (using for now) Fits the sump better
Carbon Reactor: Avast Marine Works MR10 Reactor w/QuietOne Pro 400
ZEOvit Reactor:
SKIMZ MONZTER ZM120 w/Quiet One Pro 800
Controller: Neptune Systems Apex System - NextGeneration w/Amazon Fire
AFS: Neptune Auto Fish Feeder so when I travel, they can still eat.
ATO: Neptune Breakout Box - using ReefKeeper Float Switch Kit (digital aquatics)
Daily Water Change: Neptune Systems PMUP Practical Multipurpose Utility Pump
Dosing Unit: Neptune DOS/DDR using BRS 2 part.
Heater: Cobalt Aquatics 150 Watt Neo-Therm Heater
RODI: Vertex PuraTek Deluxe 100 GPD RO/DI
Filtration 1: Live Rock
Filtration 2: Full ZEOvit system
ATO Container: Custom 50 gallon acrylic box (being built now) Will sit next to tank

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScottW

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where the bug came back. Decided to stop by my LFS just to see the new stuff. I liked the stand, liked the tank, but with kids no chance I was going rimless. But this gave me the idea. I want this stand with all 3 sides that could open, a hood to match, and this tank with a rim. I asked if she could order that for me, and she said yes, then I put a deposit down, and it all happened so fast, but now I am buying this lol.

Parts started showing up in droves.. My wife asked me if I was really setting up a 800 at the amount of boxes I was getting every day to 2 days.

I bought some stuff, that I didn't like, so you will see some items that I upgraded lol.

Stand and hood came about 4 weeks later.. This part was killing me! Sorry you have to see my ugly mug in the shot, but I was happy she was all loaded up in the back!

Her face says it all.. OMG why did you buy such a small tank... lol

Had to have full access, I am small by no means, so trying to get into 1 opening wasn't going to happen!

Toys

Plumbing parts - Also went with colored PVC

Painted the back black.

More stuff... This was the photo I got from my wife when she was wondering if I was really buying stuff for a bigger tank..

Came for salt on Black Friday... That didn't end well. Left with a Radion and ReefLink and Test Kits...

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh it's beautiful!!! This is going to be SO nice. You'll come to love the size and hate the size. I think it's the more appropriate size with 3 kids to look after. Your life is full enough.

OP
OP
ScottW

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is MADNESS! I quickly remembered why I got out of this hobby, I hate plumbing tanks lol.

I don't even know where to begin...

Started dry-fitting stuff. Added the wall behind the sump, I literally had no where to plumb anything, what the heck was I thinking going with a 60. NO ROOM under to move.

Hard plumbing put too much stress on the bulkhead, went to this. WAY too ugly. Sorry but I have to have everything perfect and this tub-o-tube wasn't going to work for me!

Hated how it looked from the other side.

MUCH BETTER! I hate to admit it, I re-plumbed that side 6 times before I was happy. I made 4 trips to lowes that day alone (45 minutes round trip)

Setting up the brand new in box Reeflink... OH SORRY ITS DOA.. Called their support, tried a few things, said it was DOA.. Guess what, 2 weeks later still don't have the replacement, he failed to mention to me they were out of them and waiting for them to come in from wherever they are made. Upset... Very Upset. But I will live, he emailed me yesterday and said maybe Monday or Tuesday of next week they will be in.. You would think they would overnight on their dime.. NOPE 2-3 days. I could have taken it back, but its not the LFS fault I got this DOA Reeflink.

Installed the Radion and plugged it in, programmed it, and then unplugged it.

Supplies started to show up. (Huge thank you to Scott at Aquarium Specialty) best in the business

It came... Only in the end to end up back in the box and will be there to sit for the immediate future.. I won't return it, it was my fault for bad measuring.

Started to install things.

It fits.. but I didn't have the probes in there yet... so sad.. such a beautiful piece of equipment.

Started hooking up the DOS/DDR

Not all but most.

Starting to plug things in, label in the software.

ZEOvit reactor

6 pucks installed so I can see.. Thank you Costco :)

Literally touching my probes... NOPE

Cleaned up the wires.. I hate wires... Still not happy, may build a false wall.

Yah... Water... from a bottle of water, I dumped some in to get out the dust and stuff.

Finally getting real.. Sand and 1 piece of rock :D

I hate rock-scaping FYI.. That is about the only thing I suck at.

This was about as good as it was getting.. Used some glue and called it a day.. They will be covered in Acro's so it won't matter!

Water in the sump.

Now in the tank and sump.

Right before I was done for the night (last night)

Nope... I hate this skimmer touching the probes.. I had to take it out lol, I would never have fallen asleep!

sad...

50 gallon ATO being built! I got pic's last night from Joe Olive at 302 Aquatics

MermaidTail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I love this stand. I have a 60g cube and can't find a sexy white stand like this anywhere!

OP
OP
ScottW

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following Along.:)

Welcome back to the addiction!!!;)

Thank you very much for the welcome back. I always loved this site back when I had tanks, so I figured it was only right to do my build thread here!

Oh it's beautiful!!! This is going to be SO nice. You'll come to love the size and hate the size. I think it's the more appropriate size with 3 kids to look after. Your life is full enough.

You are right, older 2 play travel soccer, weekends are gone (oldest (12) tore her ACL in a game a month ago so she is out until ~June, so its only 4 games a weekend instead of 8... Oh, they did give us a weekend off.. oh wait no they didn't indoor starts tomorrow lol.. Not a weekend off between seasons... But this will give us all something to do, they can help me dose the tank, pick the fish (already had to say no to the first 10 they wanted) they are used to saying anything and it was possible with the 800. I told my wife they made me get the black tangs and Gem tangs in the old tank... she didn't believe me... My 12 year old wants a 32 AIO so I bought her this last night.. Wife doesn't know yet.. So this will be from Santa so she can't yell at me :D

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Keenly following along I am setting up a 60 CAD lights. I was going to use the Eschpps 75 due to space but seeing yours in the cabinet may work. I need space for other containers and this seems to work.
Following.

OP
OP
ScottW

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome! I love this stand. I have a 60g cube and can't find a sexy white stand like this anywhere!

That was the requirement from my wife. she said it has to look good.. meaning it couldn't be something I built lol.

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for the welcome back. I always loved this site back when I had tanks, so I figured it was only right to do my build thread here!

You are right, older 2 play travel soccer, weekends are gone (oldest (12) tore her ACL in a game a month ago so she is out until ~June, so its only 4 games a weekend instead of 8... Oh, they did give us a weekend off.. oh wait no they didn't indoor starts tomorrow lol.. Not a weekend off between seasons... But this will give us all something to do, they can help me dose the tank, pick the fish (already had to say no to the first 10 they wanted) they are used to saying anything and it was possible with the 800. I told my wife they made me get the black tangs and Gem tangs in the old tank... she didn't believe me... My 12 year old wants a 32 AIO so I bought her this last night.. Wife doesn't know yet.. So this will be from Santa so she can't yell at me :D

I bought the BC29 last year for my son for Christmas!;)
He loved it ... Mommy loved it more:rolleyes: ... Here we are a year later about to start cycling my Reef Savvy 56g,:rolleyes:

OP
OP
ScottW

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks Keenly following along I am setting up a 60 CAD lights. I was going to use the Eschpps 75 due to space but seeing yours in the cabinet may work. I need space for other containers and this seems to work.
Following.

I wish the RS-100 was like 3" wider, I would have been able to keep the better skimmer.. Now I am thinking I need to plumb something in the basement, I have a storage room right below my office, but I am not sure how my wife feels about me drilling a hole in our brand new home, she might actually murder me.

OP
OP
ScottW

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought the BC29 last year for my son for Christmas!;)
He loved it ... Mommy loved it more:rolleyes: ... Here we are a year later about to start cycling my Reef Savvy 56g,:rolleyes:

haha... NICE! Those RS are so beautiful.. I almost went with their I think it is 150 gallons or 140 gallons.. Long, wide but not tall. I love that look

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome build so far and looking great!

OP
OP
ScottW

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome build so far and looking great!
Thank you very much!

I'm in! Anyone who buys a second tank before the first one is even together is an addict like me for sure! Good looking stuff!

hahaha.. Thank you very much.. I think my daughter is really going to love it! Just got a quote on a custom stand for hers and it was under $200, ordered it up!

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish the RS-100 was like 3" wider, I would have been able to keep the better skimmer.. Now I am thinking I need to plumb something in the basement, I have a storage room right below my office, but I am not sure how my wife feels about me drilling a hole in our brand new home, she might actually murder me.

My wife was won over when I had a small flood. I told her the only way that I could guarantee no floods upstairs was to plumb the sump in the basement. She looked at me kind of funny when she saw 4 holes for 1.5" PVC, but I'd made sure to drill them when she wouldn't be able to change her mind halfway through.

OP
OP
ScottW

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My wife was won over when I had a small flood. I told her the only way that I could guarantee no floods upstairs was to plumb the sump in the basement. She looked at me kind of funny when she saw 4 holes for 1.5" PVC, but I'd made sure to drill them when she wouldn't be able to change her mind halfway through.

Hahahaha. That is a very smart thing to do! I might have to do it that way myself.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back