60 Cube Clownfish Harem

eacass02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my build thread on my 60 Cube clown harem.

The main thing that drew me into this hobby was the symbiotic relationships that can exist in the ocean and our tanks. I think there is no better example of this than the relationship between clowns and anemones. I've had a lot of success with bubble tips, they don't seem to be as difficult as many say as long as you take care of the tank they thrive. Clowns aren't my favorite fish, but there's nothing better than seeing them dance around in their anemone home. So i bought a new 60 Cube and decided to give a harem a shot. I know how difficult it can be to curb aggression and keep all the clowns happy, I am hoping I have the same success that many others have.

Equipment:
60 Cube rimmed. Marineland I think. My LFS ordered it and the stand for me. I really like it, good solid construction.

I also found a small stand for a freshwater tank that I thought would make a cool controller cabinet. So I painted the front the same orange as my dining room (which is next to the tank and living room) and drilled holes for the grommets on the front. I think it turned out pretty cool. Better than hiding all the equipment inside. Plus it also holds my bucket for RO.

Lights: Aquatic Life T5 hybrid; 2 blue and 2 coral plus bulbs. and a hydra 26 I found used. I absolutely love both these lights. the T5/LED hybrid is the way to go for me. The Anemones seem to love the light, and because this light combo has been extensively reviewed by BRS I know exactly what kind of strength they are putting off. No more guessing.

Skimmer: Simplicity 120 skimmer. Just an okay skimmer, does what it's supposed to i guess. It's the only brand my main LFS sells and I always try and buy from them when I can. BRS has enough money I think.

return pump: SICCE Syncra pro 1000gph. This was a old pump from a previous tank. It works well but it has quite a bit of vibration coming from the pvc hard plumbing since its connected to the side of the stand. I found a used Varios 4 that will be here this week so I am hoping a nice DC pump will quiet the vibration a little bit. Plus its always nice to have a spare of everything.

Wave makers: Skimz SS6 and a NERO 5. Flow seems really good in the tank, the nems seem happy. The Nero in particular is very cool. Very controllable through the app. Plus the nem guard helps me sleep at night.

Plus I have a reactor for carbon/GFO, but i'm not using it right now

Controller: APEX EL. Love this dang thing. Due to my own inexperience and bad luck I have had some equipment failures in the past kill my first tank, a small biocube 16. I got it in my head that the heater controller I was using wasn't working so I plugged my little heater directly into the surge protector and went to work. Came home to a cooked tank. It got stuck on the one time it was unplugged after only a few months of use. So now i invested in an apex to make sure nothing like that happens again.

With the Apex i have the ATK top off. Works fantastic, great ato. And I have the Auto feeder coming from BRS this week. I am going to feed heavy 4 or 5 times a week like BRS recommends to slow aggression. Nutrient export will definitely be a battle.
Livestock.

The tank has been running for a little over 6 months. The rocks and sand were re used from a 75 gallon tank I had in my bedroom that I tore down. The tank was used and old and developed a small potential leak. So I used it as an opportunity to buy this new tank. Plus it was a mistake putting a tank in my bedroom. I am so much happier it's in the living room.

I currently have 8 BTA's of various sizes. Got them all from LFS's. I still want one or two larger ones before my clowns come, to make sure there is plenty of places to live for everyone.

Got my first fish yesterday. A Diamond goby to chill out in the sand and take care of it. I love this fish. One of the coolest fish to watch. Some people don't like them rearranging their sand bed but I think it's awesome. It's their home, they can do what they want with it.

I have placed an order for 10 clowns at my LFS. They are getting them from Sustainable Aquatics so I know they will be happy and disease free. hopefully will be here by next weekend. I went with Snowflake clowns. Really nice patterns and they are one of the cheaper options.

IMG_0596[1].JPG IMG_0598[1].JPG IMG_0597[1].JPG

OP
OP
E

eacass02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of close ups of my Nems. The first nem i got a couple months ago and has recently split. I've recently been feeding them daily by
IMG_0603[1].JPG
IMG_0599[1].JPG
IMG_0602[1].JPG
IMG_0601[1].JPG
dissolving a cube of mysis and using a turkey baster to spread it around to everyone. I hope to see some good growth in the coming months. Does anyone have any advice on feeding? is there a better way? or better food?

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of close ups of my Nems. The first nem i got a couple months ago and has recently split. I've recently been feeding them daily by
IMG_0603[1].JPG
IMG_0599[1].JPG
IMG_0602[1].JPG
IMG_0601[1].JPG
dissolving a cube of mysis and using a turkey baster to spread it around to everyone. I hope to see some good growth in the coming months. Does anyone have any advice on feeding? is there a better way? or better food?
i dont even feed mine but my clowns will feed it if they see a big piece of food going by they will grab it and give it to the anemone

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honeslty I strongly recommend you invest in an ATO. definitely worth the money, up the aesthetic, and help keep things organized.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! Any odd difficulties you encountered in yours?
Mine all came from the same tank at the store, so it helped with integration.

Firs couple weeks there was fighting and bickering but over time they all worked things out with one another LOL

OP
OP
E

eacass02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine all came from the same tank at the store, so it helped with integration.

Firs couple weeks there was fighting and bickering but over time they all worked things out with one another LOL
I’m hoping since they are all the same type and are all coming from SA I won’t have too many issues. BRS says it’s best if they’re from the same clutch. I don’t think SA can really do that but they should still all be uniform in size and coloration. Racist clowns

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once that goby hits 4 inches it will start burying corals at mid level same with nems. It along with my coral beauty have killed 90% of my coral. The coral beauty only killed two. My diamond goby killed roughly 20 including those I put up high in my 60g. I love to fish too much to trap it so whatever.

shamin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
E

eacass02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finally got my clowns in from Sustainable Aquatics! I got ten snowflake clowns. Really pretty patterns while still being one of the cheaper options they have. I have about 13 nems of various sizes. They haven't gone in them yet, but I am expecting that to take a while. Hopefully the shear amount of nems will mean the clowns will find them before too long. The clowns are very tiny so they have a lot of room to grow.
IMG_0615[1].JPG
IMG_0611[1].JPG
IMG_0611[1].JPG

OP
OP
E

eacass02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a couple nems I found from my LFS including a huge black widow that I couldn’t pass up. I think that brings it up to about 15 or so nems. The clowns are doing super well, I’m feeding heavily 3 times a day. I’d like them to grow quickly because right now they are small enough to get through the overflow weirs. I’ve had to put a little netting on the overflow to keep them from getting in. A little bit an eye sore but it works good.
Unfortunately the clowns still haven’t explored the nems yet. I know this can take some time, but I was hoping the sheer number of clowns and nems they would find each other fairly quickly. Any advice to speed it along or should I just let it be and hope? I would hate it if they just started hosting the powerhead or mag float or something
35E2E136-762B-4C0D-B76C-6A95F715D33A.jpeg

Mooses

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a couple nems I found from my LFS including a huge black widow that I couldn’t pass up. I think that brings it up to about 15 or so nems. The clowns are doing super well, I’m feeding heavily 3 times a day. I’d like them to grow quickly because right now they are small enough to get through the overflow weirs. I’ve had to put a little netting on the overflow to keep them from getting in. A little bit an eye sore but it works good.
Unfortunately the clowns still haven’t explored the nems yet. I know this can take some time, but I was hoping the sheer number of clowns and nems they would find each other fairly quickly. Any advice to speed it along or should I just let it be and hope? I would hate it if they just started hosting the powerhead or mag float or something
35E2E136-762B-4C0D-B76C-6A95F715D33A.jpeg
This guy actually had pretty good success. Might be worth a shot!

OP
OP
E

eacass02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I really like it. I thought about trying the tube method, but I don’t know where I’d get one lol. They have touched the tentacles every now and then and they immediately dart away so I think it will take a lot of time for them to get used to it

Mooses

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I really like it. I thought about trying the tube method, but I don’t know where I’d get one lol. They have touched the tentacles every now and then and they immediately dart away so I think it will take a lot of time for them to get used to it
You can just go to HD & get a piece of PVC. 3 or 4 inch should be fine.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back