Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the overflow I’m getting.

I do plan on having a valve.
Get at least 1 Spears gate valve for your main drain, they are pricy but it’s what you want. For flow on your returns and other valves I like hydroseal ball valves.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have mainly softies and Lps. I wouldnt feel comfortable even trying sps with my current setup, but I’d really like the option.
Lots of options then. What’s the dimensions? For flow I would do maxspect gyres, big cubes can be hard to get good flow throughout. Lights depends on your budget and goals. If you want acros eventually it’s better to spend more upfront than to upgrade imo.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of options then. What’s the dimensions? For flow I would do maxspect gyres, big cubes can be hard to get good flow throughout. Lights depends on your budget and goals. If you want acros eventually it’s better to spend more upfront than to upgrade imo.

Looked up the spears valves. Considering the prices of other things, it's not totally out of reason.

Yeah, I'd rather go with something that is good and not have to upgrade later. I really would like to do some acros. I was using the same principle with the sump and stand. Both are much larger than this tank, but I figured it gives me some space to increase tank size without changing everything. The stand is 48 inches wide and the cube is only 24 inches. The sump can handle up to 125 gallon tank, which is right at the biggest I could put on the stand. I have a similar thought with return pumps too. If I do change the tank size, *hopefully* I only have to change the actual tank and add another light.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good to know! I’m drilling it myself. I’m going to put the overflow in the center and it’s got a pretty low profile. So I’m hoping that will maximize real estate.

What is your opinion on painting the back black? I’ve went back and forth. I feel like it will loose some of the allure of the cube if I paint the back, but I love the look in non cube tanks.
My cube was in a corner so there were two sides up against a white wall. My 60 was not painted. That’s one thing I wish I’d done. I ended up getting a sheet of the plastic aquarium background that was black on one side, then I wrapped it around the two sides against the walls. It worked ok. It always bothered me though.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cube was in a corner so there were two sides up against a white wall. My 60 was not painted. That’s one thing I wish I’d done. I ended up getting a sheet of the plastic aquarium background that was black on one side, then I wrapped it around the two sides against the walls. It worked ok. It always bothered me though.
Thanks for the input! I will def plan on painting it too then.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh lord... the WWC live sale is this weekend. I totally forgot about it and am kicking myself for not getting this tank set up sooner. I don't have a place for the corals I bought during the LAST Live sale... :D They're still on frag racks.

I may be looking into an AIO frag tank if I can't pull this off quickly. Any pointers in cycling a frag tank super quickly?!?!?!? JK.... kind of. :)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be looking into an AIO frag tank if I can't pull this off quickly. Any pointers in cycling a frag tank super quickly?!?!?!? JK.... kind of. :)
I recommend patience. There will be many more live sales. ;)

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't really understand your question, but the Fiji cube overflow you bought comes with a nice drill template (I have the same overflow).

The template also has an approximate water line marked. Drill the holes based on where you want your waterline to be. I drilled it so the waterline would be hidden by the top brace on the tank

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't really understand your question, but the Fiji cube overflow you bought comes with a nice drill template (I have the same overflow).

The template also has an approximate water line marked. Drill the holes based on where you want your waterline to be. I drilled it so the waterline would be hidden by the top brace on the tank
It’s rimless. If I had drilled it as close as possible to the edge of the glass, it would have been too close to the edge, according to some things I read. But I wasn’t sure how close you could get it.

I probably could have been a bit closer to the edge, but it’s done and it didn’t break!

44088062-7C47-46BA-AC17-54997306F8B3.jpeg

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to stop in and check out you build:)
Hopefully there will be a bunch of new corals in it before long from the sale tonight.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s rimless. If I had drilled it as close as possible to the edge of the glass, it would have been too close to the edge, according to some things I read. But I wasn’t sure how close you could get it.

I probably could have been a bit closer to the edge, but it’s done and it didn’t break!

Nice job!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How long did it take you to drill each hole?? Well done !!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The WWC live sales are fun, I have been showing up for years, I picked up two. The live sales are a lot tamer than they used to be. I hope you scored some good pieces and we will see then in you cube grown out soon.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm having the same dilemma. 2 sides against the wall...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back