60 Gallon Cube

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And apex is on the list but unfortunately it will be a year down the road.

If you set one gyre to run for 20 seconds and the other to run for 15 seconds, you can have the effect of one being off while the other is on, vice versa, and both on. That way you don't need an apex.

OP
OP
501Reefer

501Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you set one gyre to run for 20 seconds and the other to run for 15 seconds, you can have the effect of one being off while the other is on, vice versa, and both on. That way you don't need an apex.
The amount of control is what sold me on the icecap gyres. Hopefully I will be able to get the effect I want without having to add any more powerheads.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of control is what sold me on the icecap gyres. Hopefully I will be able to get the effect I want without having to add any more powerheads.

They should work well. The big question is if you want the gyres opposite each other or perpendicular. I guess it matters if it is a corner overflow or a standard overflow in the center back.

OP
OP
501Reefer

501Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should work well. The big question is if you want the gyres opposite each other or perpendicular. I guess it matters if it is a corner overflow or a standard overflow in the center back.
Center overflow, whats your opinion on placement?

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Center overflow, whats your opinion on placement?

I don't know how big the gyres are or how big your center overflow is. There may not be room to have them on the back wall. I would have them horizontal up top on the side left and side right (opposite side). The other options which depending on your landscape could be even better would be to place them vertically on the back wall on either side of the overflow pushing forwards. I think either one would work great. Try each one and report back which looks and performs better.

OP
OP
501Reefer

501Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how big the gyres are or how big your center overflow is. There may not be room to have them on the back wall. I would have them horizontal up top on the side left and side right (opposite side). The other options which depending on your landscape could be even better would be to place them vertically on the back wall on either side of the overflow pushing forwards. I think either one would work great. Try each one and report back which looks and performs better.
Unfortunately it will be atleast a month before the tank is wet. Should be ready for pickup Thursday. Then I have to get a stand built.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second that. I have a 70 gallon cube and finally figured out the perfect flow for the tank

0DB05A69-5684-4447-9550-E2C62340256F.jpeg

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For flow, I went with a larger than needed return. The tank has dual returns tipped with the random flow ends from VCA. Going to add the AI Nero 5 dead center back to front of tank and I have a little Jaboe DC in one corner back along the bottom Using sine wave flow to help kick up detritus. I am going to light mine with 2 ft 4 tube Aquatic Life and a Kessil 360. Hoping I can finally do sticks with this. Good luck on your build. I love cube tanks myself..

OP
OP
501Reefer

501Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright just got an update, tank will be here Thursday, gryes friday. Next order of business is a sump. I'm debating between the icecap 24 and a diy 20h with an ebay kit. Any suggestions or opinions?

OP
OP
501Reefer

501Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I came to my first bump in the road. I ordered the standard version of the tank not thinking there would only be 2 holes drilled. So to my knowledge I'm left with 2 options, durso or get a 3rd hole drilled for bean. Noise is not a huge factor, as long as it's not obnoxious. However cost is becoming a factor ( or atleast my wife thinks). What should I do?

nick0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 gallon cube, with a sump - 70.
I have 2 MP-10 on the side walls and behind the corners of 2 Tunze 6055.
MP-10 operate in a short pulse mode, Tunze works alternately for 6 hours each.
Tunze are installed in the direction of the surface of the water to constantly create ripples on the surface of the water.
MP-10 cannot be installed on the surface (sucks in air).

nick0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display tank is 50 gallons (26 "X 26" X26 ")
From lighting Aquatic Life 4XT5 + Kessil A360we at 100% power and 50% color
Do you think this is enough?
What kind of lighting do you use?

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(26x26x26)/231= 76 gallons. In my personal experience one kessil is not going to be enough for my 60 cube if going full mixed reef with a lot of sps. LPS and sofities okay. See how everything does and supplement. You could always add orphek light bars or add another kessil, but wait 6 months or so. Corals color up well with kessils. Plenty of people have them on 60 cubes with success.

OP
OP
501Reefer

501Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be running 1 ai prime hd for ramp up and ramp down, my primary lights will be 3 orphek OR blue plus bars

Back