60 Gallon Mixed Reef Stocking

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a Red-lined wrasse (Halichoeres biocellatus)?

Also, I don't agree with the opinion that a 60-gallon WITH THOSE DIMENSIONS (long, as opposed to tall) is too small for one of the smaller bristletooth tangs. Tomini, White Tail, and Squaretail all stay under 6" fully grown, and as long as you only pick one of them, I think it would be happy and be an awesome centerpiece fish.

Highly recommend the Tomini Tang. I feel like it’s pretty popular opinion that they’re the most docile of the bristle-tooth’s.

they’re also always out swimming or nipping algae off rocks and can be a great “centerpiece”.

White Tails are the best looking imo, but are a lot more expensive.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly recommend the Tomini Tang. I feel like it’s pretty popular opinion that they’re the most docile of the bristle-tooth’s.

they’re also always out swimming or nipping algae off rocks and can be a great “centerpiece”.

White Tails are the best looking imo, but are a lot more expensive.
Uh… Docile? Where’s that at?
All of the ones I have ever tried have been ********, all 3 of them. My only peaceful tang has ever been the Twin Spot Bristletooth.
I have kept smaller ones (1” specimens) when working at the LFS but the 3-4” adults I have attempted to put in the 5’ main display were hell wreckers.

I disagree with the 3’ tank and a tang issue. If you have EVER seen a tang 4’ tank vs a 3’ tank they will look way happier and not get quite so aggressive. Then compare 3’ to a 5’ tank and you’ll see the same thing, a more peaceful adult tang.

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh… Docile? Where’s that at?
All of the ones I have ever tried have been ********, all 3 of them. My only peaceful tang has ever been the Twin Spot Bristletooth.
I have kept smaller ones (1” specimens) when working at the LFS but the 3-4” adults I have attempted to put in the 5’ main display were hell wreckers.

I disagree with the 3’ tank and a tang issue. If you have EVER seen a tang 4’ tank vs a 3’ tank they will look way happier and not get quite so aggressive. Then compare 3’ to a 5’ tank and you’ll see the same thing, a more peaceful adult tang.

were you keeping the tomini with other tangs or alone?

Ive seen a few other threads where people haven’t reported many issues with them.

Ive had a few over the years and never really saw any aggression out of them - another example of “sometimes you get a nice fish, sometimes you get a mean fish” ‍♀️

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
were you keeping the tomini with other tangs or alone?

Ive seen a few other threads where people haven’t reported many issues with them.

Ive had a few over the years and never really saw any aggression out of them - another example of “sometimes you get a nice fish, sometimes you get a mean fish” ‍♀️
Two of the tominis were with other tangs later in life which seemed to distract them from bullying others but the one that was alone hated everything and anything, still can’t figure out why.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back