60 x 24 x 24 MH Lighting Options

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mike S
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Mike S

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 1, 2011
Messages
313
Reaction score
145
Location
NJ
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Im in the process of downsizing to a 150 gallon 60x24x24 inch tank. The plan is for it to be SPS dominant. On my old tank I ran 3 250 watt radiums in Cuzumel pendants with LEDs (BMLed 20k and SB blue strips). Liked the pendants but was looking for something not as massive with this build. I’m considering the Hamilton Cayman and Reef Brite pendants to pair with my led strips. Should I be planning on 3 250 watts or 2 400 watts hung a little higher? I’d love to get my hands on a used Giesemann Sepctra or Infinity fixture but it seems that 48 inches would be my only option there unless I could find two smaller ones. Finding them might be a challenge. Assuming two bulbs with either of those should I be considering 400 watts or would 250 be sufficient? An 8x80 watt ATI Tt fixture with the led strips is also in consideration. Thanks for any advice.
 
For a 24" deep tank, I would think that 2 x 250W MH would do the trick. My first large (135g) system years ago had 3 x 250W and did great. If you are concerned you could certainly do 2 x 400W and raise it, Or 3 x 250W for more even light distribution.
 
I’m going to try the reefbrite hybrids on my new build
 
I have 3 AI 64 HD’s, so far pretty happy. Mix of SPS and lps
 
If you wanted to hang with the metal halides I’d probably get a pair of the reef brite halide pendants with 10k bulbs and hang them high. If you like a blue color then go with 3 pendants and get 20k bulbs and hang them lower. Pair of reef brite blue leds and there it is. Use a par meter to dictate how high the pendants go
 
Thanks guys. Sounds like two might be a good starting point and I can go from there. Can always increase the wattage or add another pendant.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new