0482FB85-FF7E-487E-9A5E-5ED53E92DBF8.jpeg
C762E187-E99A-4CA7-9144-11A2435A5CAC.jpeg
1BA2163C-1AF2-4709-888F-48DAFFB43774.jpeg

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I admit I was getting nervous reading the tank lifting part of this thread.

And am I the only one who looks at the sump below the tank and groans with the thought of how much work is involved in this setup? I like reef tanks but dang... not a full time job for a few months.

But hmm.. my tank while smaller will eventually end up the same way. Just takes me a couple of years while it runs.

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok. I admit I was getting nervous reading the tank lifting part of this thread.

And am I the only one who looks at the sump below the tank and groans with the thought of how much work is involved in this setup? I like reef tanks but dang... not a full time job for a few months.

But hmm.. my tank while smaller will eventually end up the same way. Just takes me a couple of years while it runs.
Sure it's a lot of works in the beginning however this tank will be setting up for the least maintenance as possible. The owner only have to feed the fish and everything will be automate. The bigger the tank the more works have to be done but it will be rewarding at the end

rygh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome looking tank!

A bit concerned about that stand in an earthquake though. Zero sheer supports, thin legs, very heavy tank.

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome looking tank!

A bit concerned about that stand in an earthquake though. Zero sheer supports, thin legs, very heavy tank.
It has cross's brace in the middle 2x1 steel and build by Elos so they should know the load of the tank. Full warranty with Elos stand.

OmriA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, just going to mix in the tank. Going to fill it up with RODI first and run for 2 days. Check for leaks and clean the system. Drain it then refill and mix salt.
This is amazing. I’m a step or two behind you on my first big tank. 140 gallon Red Sea peninsula. Can you explain why you are filling with RODI then draining and filling a second time? Are you just testing for leaks or are you rinsing the rock and sand, or is there another reason to do this? Also, is your RODI hose going straight from your water mixing station? I’m trying to figure out how to avoid making RODI into trash bins and having to roll them to the tank and pump them in to save on the shlepping.

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In my view, a best-practice for this type of setup is to fill RODI containers with RODI water, and have the waste water line (at roughly 2x volume of RODI) go into the tank to check for leaks and wash sand if desired. Pump that out (it has to go down the drain anyway) and then put in the RODI water that you made and stored. Boom.

OmriA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my view, a best-practice for this type of setup is to fill RODI containers with RODI water, and have the waste water line (at roughly 2x volume of RODI) go into the tank to check for leaks and wash sand if desired. Pump that out (it has to go down the drain anyway) and then put in the RODI water that you made and stored. Boom.
Smart and thanks for the tip! This way you don’t waste all that new RODI water in case if a leak and rinse the tank!

Back