65 gal Stocking Suggestions

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on a stocking list for a 65 gal tank with softie corals. But I'm only in the initial planning phase. Fish aren't listed in the order, they will be introduced (just draft list).

*Flame Hawk- love , love this fish

Mimic Saddle Puffer (valentini puffer mimic)
(Paraluterus prionurus)

Potter's Angel (maybe)

Wheeler Goby

I would love a 'show fish' for the tank- something with striking colors or a very friendly personality fish. Prefer to avoid aggressive fish or fish that hide (cryptic fish) most of the time. My all time favorite fish are the ones that really imprint on their owners & eagerly come out to see you.

Last edited:

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do a single yellow tang. IMO the Potter's Angel would be the show stealer. A coral beauty/ flame / lemon peel/ black nox, or any other dwarf angel would be fine in a 65, but only add one. You could look at a flasher wrasse (lots of different kinds).

A pair of clowns would be a nice addition. Blennies have a real nice personality and do good at picking at algae.

Some other tangs besides the yellow include: tomini, kole, 2 spot, or a square tail (only add 1 tang)

You can also go with a dotty back/ basslet/ gramma- they also have a good personality! Most dottybacks and some basslets/ grammas can be territorial.

dmh41532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flame tail tang in my 65. If you put a dottyback in, I recommend and orchid dotty, pretty peaceful fish. The puffer would be an interesting addition. Though I don't think I would add a tang and puffer to a tank that small. Tangs are eating/pooping machines, and puffers tend to be messy eaters.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the potters stealing the show! I probably wouldn't do a tang in this size tank if you don't want semi-aggressive, they can be kind of territorial. If you did, the tomini would be the best choice as it's the smallest.

Basslets are good choices. I love the quirky yellow assessor, and always liked the look of the swissguard. These fish can be a little shy at first but become much more bold once established.

Flasher and smaller fairy wrasses are active and colorful. Jumpers though, so will need a covered tank. If you can get a good specimen and are up to the challenge of getting them eating initially- leopard wrasses are some of my favorite fish. I'd stick with one leopard in a 65 though, they are pod hunters.

And, can never go wrong with a nice pair of clowns :)

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gold assessor is on my want list as well as a firefish. I also love the flame hawk. Mine is in a HT right now. Only 35 days to go in Fallow! Please QT.

OP
OP
Eva Rose

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flame tail tang in my 65. If you put a dottyback in, I recommend and orchid dotty, pretty peaceful fish. The puffer would be an interesting addition. Though I don't think I would add a tang and puffer to a tank that small. Tangs are eating/pooping machines, and puffers tend to be messy eaters.
The mimic saddle is actually a filefish that looks like a valentini. I like puffers but feel the filefish would be easier.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eva Rose

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about clowns. I considered a pink skunk OR Madagascar (Amphiprion latifasciatus) Clown pair - since they are a little different. But I need to find out more about their temperament.
I've also always liked a Sunburst Anthias. But I've heard they stay hidden a lot.

Last edited:

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about clowns. I considered a pink skunk OR Madagascar (Amphiprion latifasciatus) Clown pair - since they are a little different. But I need to find out more about their temperament.
I've also always liked a Sunset Anthias. But I've heard they stay hidden a lot.

How many fish you do plan on having? I have the same size tank. There are more fish that I want than I can fit for sure. So you have to choose carefully. Two clowns would be nice but that also takes away from your space. That's why I'm thinking only one.

OP
OP
Eva Rose

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fish you do plan on having? I have the same size tank. There are more fish that I want than I can fit for sure. So you have to choose carefully. Two clowns would be nice but that also takes away from your space. That's why I'm thinking only one.
I want 6 fish total.
So 4 fish on my list & 2 more.

2 others could be a clown pair OR
instead Sunburst ( if I get info they don't hide as much as I've heard) and 1 more fish .

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do anthias in a 65g. They are very social and active fish that like a lot of swimming room.

Sun bursts as well as a few other varieties are deep ocean fish, so they will like dimmer lighting and will most likely hide often

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you only want 2 more fish, the only anthias I would consider is a sunburst. They hide in the begining, but become moderately bold.

I would also highly recommend a purple tilefish. They are peaceful, and their color is a bright purple that almost glows.

A flasher or small fairy wrasse would also work. Or you could even try an easier leopard wrasse species, such as ornatus or bipartitus.

My favorite natural-but-uniquely- patterned clown is A. nigripes.

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confused here the leopard wrasse on live aquaria said expert level for care.

OP
OP
Eva Rose

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasse can be finicky eaters. The ornatus or bipartitus are easier than say a potter's , choati leopard wrasse etc.
From what I've read this would be a good plan:
Get an ornatus or bipartitus from Diver's LA that is already eating and then QT it on arrival.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confused here the leopard wrasse on live aquaria said expert level for care.
Leopard wrasses don't ship well, but after the first couple of weeks can be quite hardy. Getting them from a reliable source, either an LFS where they can be observed, or LADD.

I feel @Eva Rose has the skills and experience to do a leopard.

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasse can be finicky eaters. The ornatus or bipartitus are easier than say a potter's , choati leopard wrasse etc.
Get an ornatus or bipartitus from Diver's LA that is already eating and then QT it on arrival.

They are a very cool looking fish!

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you only want 2 more fish, the only anthias I would consider is a sunburst. They hide in the begining, but become moderately bold.

I would also highly recommend a purple tilefish. They are peaceful, and their color is a bright purple that almost glows.

A flasher or small fairy wrasse would also work. Or you could even try an easier leopard wrasse species, such as ornatus or bipartitus.

My favorite natural-but-uniquely- patterned clown is A. nigripes.

Would 3 resplendents work as well ?

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My list continues to change. Only 35 days left then I can stock away.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 65 Gal:
2 Snowflake clowns
3 Red Belted Anthias
1 Sixline Wrasse
1 Flame Hawk
1 Yellowtail Damsel
1 Kole Tang

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back