65 gallon build thread

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep up the work. Eventually your tank will reward you to where you can get away with changing water monthly. That takes time. And it's worth it.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep up the work. Eventually your tank will reward you to where you can get away with changing water monthly. That takes time. And it's worth it.
awesome! How long would that take, a year or so? I dont mind changing water, but its always nice to do it less often...

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be a safe bet to add some zoanthids and soft corals tommorow right? Also could make my tank have a urchin? Im over 3 weeks in, and still have a tad bit of algae on the rocks I want gone. I only have a small CUC of 8 hermits, 3 astrea snails, and a turbo snail, so I want to get some more tommorow.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am slightly past the 1 year mark. I skipped my last water change and am aiming to change it monthly now. You just watch your water tests, keep them on logs. And they will speak to you about a lot of things. Right now, my calcium, alk, mag consumption is very low. Live rock has become very stable. I am just dosing amino acids atm with 2 part A,B dosing. Phosphates are keeping at a stable .05 and hardly any nitrates. I am trying to increase it to 10.

So your test kits are going to help you track your needs of water changing.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would be a safe bet to add some zoanthids and soft corals tommorow right? Also could make my tank have a urchin? Im over 3 weeks in, and still have a tad bit of algae on the rocks I want gone. I only have a small CUC of 8 hermits, 3 astrea snails, and a turbo snail, so I want to get some more tommorow.
Before you even think of adding any urchin. They are very sensitive to high nitrates, they will shed their needles and eventually die. So, I wouldn't get one if there isn't enough coraline and algae on the rocks. Along with nitrates over 20.
As far as corals go, that depends if you have seen any big swings in alk and ph. Calcium shouldn't really fluctuate a lot. It does for some people.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you even think of adding any urchin. They are very sensitive to high nitrates, they will shed their needles and eventually die. So, I wouldn't get one if there isn't enough coraline and algae on the rocks. Along with nitrates over 20.
As far as corals go, that depends if you have seen any big swings in alk and ph. Calcium shouldn't really fluctuate a lot. It does for some people.
ok thanks

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Zoas and mushrooms are very tough. Unless they are the super expensive ones. They come in a wide range of care levels.
Don't buy anything that will make you cry if it should die. Putting corals in, that's up to you if you are willing to run the tests needed to see what is going on and fix the issues.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Update!

Went to my lfs today and bought a medium 3.5 inch long Tomini Tang, and 3 corals.

Bought a pulsing xenia coral, ricordea, and a leather. Pulsing xenia is huge for $10, the ricordea is 1.5 inches by 1.5 inches for $15, and the leather is 2 inches long, 1.5 inches wide, for $20. Very good deals!

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20210807_155924706.jpg
IMG_20210807_171703291.jpg
IMG_20210807_171710477.jpg

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some new corals and inverts today.

Got a new tiger pistol shrimp cause my old one is presumed dead
Got a coral banded shrimp
Got a feather duster
Got a candycane coral
Got gsp
Got a red zoa

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I started a Red Sea tank 55 gallon DT a little over a month ago or so and got 2 clowns and now have a coral beauty in QT with a slight issue being taken care of.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back