65 gallon build thread

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read this entire thing as building a 65 currently to add my Fuval 13.5 corals to
is this still active??

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full tank shots? No need to be embarrassed. We all hit those parts of the map. Well, most.
Hi, yeah ill post some. Parameters are stable, tank running almost a year now. Used RODI, every day i pluck some of the stuff off the rocks and powerhead. Grows so fast. Got a urchin and fighting conch to help, Urchin helps a lot, the conch eats poop on the seabed i guess. No fish died so far, or inverts. Coral grew A LOT, only the pulsing xenia though. My leather is so small, and algae grows on him so fast that he doesnt open. Alive though. Im getting a lid for christmas, gonna add some wrasses after that. Everyone is doing great, even my feather duster which suprised me,I just dont understand why this algae is going insane. Any advice? I was thinking maybe a UV sterilizer but my parents dont like the idea.

IMG_20211210_095505568.jpg
IMG_20211210_095508083.jpg

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, yeah ill post some. Parameters are stable, tank running almost a year now. Used RODI, every day i pluck some of the stuff off the rocks and powerhead. Grows so fast. Got a urchin and fighting conch to help, Urchin helps a lot, the conch eats poop on the seabed i guess. No fish died so far, or inverts. Coral grew A LOT, only the pulsing xenia though. My leather is so small, and algae grows on him so fast that he doesnt open. Alive though. Im getting a lid for christmas, gonna add some wrasses after that. Everyone is doing great, even my feather duster which suprised me,I just dont understand why this algae is going insane. Any advice? I was thinking maybe a UV sterilizer but my parents dont like the idea.

Bump

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A UV sterilizer won't help with this. My 16 gallon AIO tank in my home office looked just like this. I was changing 1/2 of the water weekly to lower the nutrients, but the standing crop of algae was unaffected. I ended up buying a huge assortment of CUC and now the tank is pristine.

Jay

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A UV sterilizer won't help with this. My 16 gallon AIO tank in my home office looked just like this. I was changing 1/2 of the water weekly to lower the nutrients, but the standing crop of algae was unaffected. I ended up buying a huge assortment of CUC and now the tank is pristine.

Jay
Would you suggest purchasing herbivorus fish, or inverts? I have about 15 hermits, 4 astrea snails, 1 turbo snail, pincushion urchin, fighting conch, emerald crab, and tomini tang as my CUC. Should I buy more hermits and/or snails? Whats the best CUC for the algae im dealing with (I think its hair algae)

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have life rock, i read that if i scrub it, the beneficial bacteria will get off
Don't use fresh water, just a tooth brush to remove the long hair algae. And not the whole rock. Or, pluck and pull the algae in your display if you like. Siphon up all you can.

Long hair algae is bitter and will be ignored by your CUC. You have to get it short enough they will maintain the rocks.

Less hermits, more snails.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use fresh water, just a tooth brush to remove the long hair algae. And not the whole rock. Or, pluck and pull the algae in your display if you like. Siphon up all you can.

Long hair algae is bitter and will be ignored by your CUC. You have to get it short enough they will maintain the rocks.

Less hermits, more snails.
ok I will try that, thanks

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: My Diamond Goby died a few days ago... He jumped out of the tank for reasons unknown. Found him dried up under a pillow in a different room. Tank's SO MUCH BETTER with the algae bloom..Still some hair algae, but its doing good. Testing water today or tomorrow (most likely tomorrow), ill upload them here. Other than that everyones doing great, going to the LFS later this week (day unknown), and I will get a wrasse!!!!! I got a lid recently... Need to figure out how to build it :).

I dont think I mentioned this here, but my skimmer exploded the poop inside it and it foamed up in the sump. This happened a few months ago. removed and changed all sump water and it was fine afterwards.

sumpppp.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back