65 gallon marineland w/ corner over flow

Thereefdoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the summer I found a 65 gallon rr tank w/ wet dry filter, dry live rock, an eshopps x120 skimmer, t5 lights and a bunch of other random stuff for 150$. I was already looking at tanks to segway back into the hobby after a 3-4 year break. So I jumped on it and took it home. I was so excited I didn’t even tell my wife . After ALOT of persuading she agreed that I needed a fish tank again. She also agreed to let me set it up, as long as it was Not on the main floor of our house (I’ve made several reefing mistakes in the past that she considers disasters). To take advantage of this golden opportunity I set it up as fast as I could without an ounce of planning. Now I’m realizing that was a dumb move. It needs a lot of changes that are easier to do when the tank isn’t running.

I decided to start a build thread to document it.

AF3179A3-F1B2-4351-B862-9B8D0ED0BD54.jpeg 034C892E-EF3D-466A-BB0D-0F661E2C85C7.jpeg 9266E4F4-9B01-4977-9F2A-3CDB64B7AC48.jpeg CC0FA052-7533-4870-93E3-93F5B32EFFE4.jpeg 978474E6-BD94-423D-852D-D7F34D35DB34.jpeg FA199400-CD6B-42F5-8F6E-2EB4EC9B7A90.jpeg 8B6CDDB7-FADD-4FC2-93EA-5A18B8D4FF4B.jpeg

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First update- install trigger emerald 26 sump and convert current durso overflow to a herbie style overflow.

98BE6C44-9642-4885-987A-D977E1A376FA.jpeg A6B5C72E-2635-4E96-8737-9913A2542281.jpeg 29722C40-EABA-4BDE-B8E0-DB221C5E5BB7.jpeg 77FD3F9A-7AB3-4327-AB61-8AD0A2B57808.jpeg 613C126D-8333-44EF-A3C6-DDD4D22CC4E3.jpeg
Why did you choose that height (length) for the pipe with the strainer? I have a Marineland 93 cube that I am in the process of building. I would have had a taller pipe for my main drain. What height? Should I change mine? This will be my first SW with a sump/refugium.
Your pictures helped me alot.

OP
OP
Thereefdoc

Thereefdoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you choose that height (length) for the pipe with the strainer? I have a Marineland 93 cube that I am in the process of building. I would have had a taller pipe for my main drain. What height? Should I change mine? This will be my first SW with a sump/refugium.
Your pictures helped me alot.

the pipe with the strainer (main drain) should be atleast 6 inches lower than the emergency drain. This reduces the chances of getting air inside the main drain, and in turn minimizes noise making it easier for the siphon to restart after the pump has been shut. Another thing to consider when choosing the main drain height, is the amount of extra water the sump can hold without overflowing. The water in the overflow will drain to the height of the pipe when the return is shut. The emergency drain should be 1-2” below the teeth of the overflow.
This site has been EXTREMELY HELPFUL

There’s a-lot more pictures coming. I’m glad this helped.

OP
OP
Thereefdoc

Thereefdoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after gluing everything I found two leaks. One from the pvc pipe going into the bulkhead and one from the union on the main return. I redid the whole line, reinstalled the bulkheads and placed some silicone around the dry side of the bulks heads as a safety measure. Right now I have the tank and sump cut off. So the water only stays in the tank. My wife is already livid and if she sees me assemble and disassemble the plumbing/sump again she’ll probably want me to get rid of it. How would I go about testing the plumbing before installing it? Should I just just add the water back and run it again or is there an easier way?

danzig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the pipe with the strainer (main drain) should be atleast 6 inches lower than the emergency drain. This reduces the chances of getting air inside the main drain, and in turn minimizes noise making it easier for the siphon to restart after the pump has been shut. Another thing to consider when choosing the main drain height, is the amount of extra water the sump can hold without overflowing. The water in the overflow will drain to the height of the pipe when the return is shut. The emergency drain should be 1-2” below the teeth of the overflow.
This site has been EXTREMELY HELPFUL

There’s a-lot more pictures coming. I’m glad this helped.
I have the same EXACT tank i am working on setting up. I drilled another hole in overflow so i have a herbie with emergency and my return. I love this tank dimensions so far. Your link helped me immensely even though i knew the basics and had a tank with herbie many years ago. Any updates? Also no real way to test other than use water. Wait for her to be somewhere else.

OP
OP
Thereefdoc

Thereefdoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same EXACT tank i am working on setting up. I drilled another hole in overflow so i have a herbie with emergency and my return. I love this tank dimensions so far. Your link helped me immensely even though i knew the basics and had a tank with herbie many years ago. Any updates? Also no real way to test other than use water. Wait for her to be somewhere else.
I love this tank too! It’s a perfect size. I didn’t have the guts or patience to drill another hole. I appreciate the kind words, I’m glad it helped! The tank is doing great! After a few days struggling to take care of the leak, I finally changed the bulkhead and all was good. I actually started an ig account for this tank. @the_reef_doc. I’ll post some updates here as well. I’m about to start the plumbing on my current project, a 24” cube.

danzig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love this tank too! It’s a perfect size. I didn’t have the guts or patience to drill another hole. I appreciate the kind words, I’m glad it helped! The tank is doing great! After a few days struggling to take care of the leak, I finally changed the bulkhead and all was good. I actually started an ig account for this tank. @the_reef_doc. I’ll post some updates here as well. I’m about to start the plumbing on my current project, a 24” cube.
Awesome thanks for the reply, ill deff check out your IG! When i get mine setup ill show you my setup, doing aomething unique and using a redsea reefer 350 v1 sump with frag tank and refugium under stand

OP
OP
Thereefdoc

Thereefdoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks for the reply, ill deff check out your IG! When i get mine setup ill show you my setup, doing aomething unique and using a redsea reefer 350 v1 sump with frag tank and refugium under stand
Nice! I’m excited to see it, sounds awesome. You should definitely start a build thread on here so everyone can follow along.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back