65 Gallon Reef Stocking (Again)

RedReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I posted a week or two ago with a stocking list and I have since changed most of the fish as I’ve been looking around and seeing all of the options I have. I have finally know what I want but am not 100% sure if they are are compatible/ will work in my tank. It’s going to be a euphyllia/zoa dominated tank. Fish aren’t in any specific order.

- Pacific Redstripe Hogfish
- Pair of Occ Clownfish
- Pair of Yasha Hasha Gobys + Pistol Shrimp
- Black Leopard Wrasse
- Magma Fairy Wrasse
- Lamarck Angelfish

My main concern is if the black leopard wrasse and the magma fairy wrasse will get along.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lamarcks get big for a 65 and need lots of open swimming space.
The fairy and leopard will probably get along, but leopards are titchy and may not compete for food with another established wrasse. You are liable to run into compatibility issues with the Hogfish. Hogfish can be quite intolerant of other wrasse, and quite aggressive in general.

Ligeia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd nix the Lamarck's. If you really want, try a MORE reef safe dwarf angel like a Coral Beauty, Flame, Shepardi, or Multicolor (all fish I have kept and weren't interested in Euphylia or Zoas but all fish are different!)

Redstripe hogfish are big d-bags, especially once they get established. If you really want a hogfish maybe a Terelabrus would be better! They aren't always available but are super peaceful.

OP
OP
RedReef

RedReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think it would probably be best to not have a Hogfish and wait to get a Lamarck till I upgrade from the 65 to a larger tank. Would it be possible to add a longnose or falco hawkfish to the list? Or would it eat the pistol shrimp? Or maybe a small school or red stop light cardinals?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea.

Long nose hawk is a must for a 65 gallon. Pistol shrimp will be fine, as long as you don't drop a tiny pistol shrimp in a tank with an established large hawk.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back