want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After years of telling my husband that we should have seahorses, he has finally agreed to help me set up a seahorse tank! We currently have a 125 gallon reef tank, a 29 gallon biocube, and a 15 gallon frag tank. Back in the fall we purchased a 65 gallon tank with stand, and have slowly been accumulating the necessities for the tank.

My husband ordered some Tonga rock, and we finally aquascaped just a couple weeks ago. Once we got all of the plumbing sealed we added water. We've got a nice bacteria bloom starting, so the cycling is underway!

I was wanting to have black sand for this tank, but after doing a lot of research and reading (a lot here on r2r), it seams that a light color would be best for seahorse coloring. We'll have a shallow sand bed with lots of sifters. Although I read a bare bottom might be a better choice, I just can't do it. We also might add a colored backdrop.

I plan on putting in lots of soft corals and macro algae, I'd like to avoid using any artificial décor. And we'll add a few tank mates, but we will be super picky as to who will make the cut.

Below is a pic from when we aquascaped, though we did take out the left most rock. So we'll have a nice open sand bed.

I'll post more pics as the process continues!

pic.jpg

OP
OP
want2bsleepy

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've had some delays getting everything to get the tank up and running, major car repair, lots of $$$! So...still waiting on a few big ticket items for the tank. In the mean time, I've been taking the Ocean Riders Seahorse Training Course. It has been a good refresher for general tank stuff, and lots of great info for our future ponies!

I've compiled a list of critters I want for the clean up crew to be added to the tank in 3 phases. I want to have a wide variety to make sure we have critters to help with any type of algae and/or detritus.

Phase 1 (when cycling is complete):
3 Astrea Snails
3 Trochus Snails
3 Red Foot Moon Snails
3 Nerite Snails
3 Cerith Snails
2 Turbo Snails
2 Nassarius Snails
4 Scarlet Reef Hermits
4 Left Handed Hermits
4 Peppermint Shrimp

Phase 2 (when the tank has matured a bit)
3 Astrea Snails
3 Nerite Snails
3 Cerith Snails
2 Nassarius Snails
4 Dwarf Blue Legged Hermits
4 Red Legged Hermits

Phase 3 (fully matured tank)
1 Conch
2 Sea Hares
1 Sand Sifting Starfish (if additional sand cleaning is needed)

Any yays or nays to my list? Would love some first hand good/bad experiences with these critters.

JHuneke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the scape! If it was me, I would remove any crabs , I know that they are considered low risk, but I have seen them really pick at ponies and can cause some injury . Opening the door for bacterial infection. I am a stickler about tankmates , with ponies being sensitive .
I would also consider only one seahare ( IF you need one to clear nuisance algae) They eat ravenously , and if your algae can't support both they will perish and seriously foul your water. I've kept one in a 40g DT with no issue for 1.5 yrs, he was well fed and a big help with algae :)

OP
OP
want2bsleepy

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the scape! If it was me, I would remove any crabs , I know that they are considered low risk, but I have seen them really pick at ponies and can cause some injury . Opening the door for bacterial infection. I am a stickler about tankmates , with ponies being sensitive .
I would also consider only one seahare ( IF you need one to clear nuisance algae) They eat ravenously , and if your algae can't support both they will perish and seriously foul your water. I've kept one in a 40g DT with no issue for 1.5 yrs, he was well fed and a big help with algae :)
Thanks! I think we'll give the crabs a try, and if we see any issues remove them then. I might start with one seahare since you say they eat a lot, and add another if we think the tank needs it.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tank is different but my cuc are 5 or 6 trocus snails and 2 feeder shrimp that the ponies decided were too big to eat. That keeps my algae in check pretty well. You may not need as big a cuc as you think, especially once your macro algae is established. Nassarius snails are terrific with a sandbed so definitely keep all of them.

OP
OP
want2bsleepy

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up some paint for the back of the aquarium today. I'm really liking the color! I hope the seahorses like it as well.

I noticed a small turbo snail in the tank, chompin' away at the algae. He must have come over with a piece of live rock we moved over from our 125. First critter in tank was an accident! Lol

f6563430d1ff14b95f00de2c5715f1a7.jpg

be52b73ed3a71da6b150af5b1640a0c2.jpg

OP
OP
want2bsleepy

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got the filtration/pump running this week. Even without a light the algae is starting to grow, so we might have to give the loan turbo snail a few buddies. Ugh, I so wish we have money to get this tank together!

OP
OP
want2bsleepy

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we are waiting for our funds to replenish, we threw on a spare light we have to keep the cycling going. The live rock from our other tank brought over some copepods and anthropoids, so any algae that had started they have taken care of. Let's hope they make lots of babies before we start adding the fishes!

a90e0c7e82709263ac92c9b09c2c7356.jpg

OP
OP
want2bsleepy

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates or projected timeline for the seahorses' arrival?
sigh, no. I need to win the lottery first! lol. It is taking forever to get our finances back on track, but at least in the meantime our tank is getting the time it needs to fully cycle. We tested all of the parameters a couple days ago and it is cycled, so we could throw some critters in there now if we were ready. Our lone turbo snail got too close to the pump sitting in the tank (no power heads yet) and got sucked in, so now it is just the thousands (they are all over the place!) of little critters keeping the algae at bay. I am, though, collecting some awesome zoas and mushrooms to go in the tank once it is ready!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back