65gal reef tank

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so this is going to be my very first saltwater tank project so go easy on me, any and all advice is much appreciated though. Its a 65 gallon, the stand was a DIY im gonna add doors eventually. At the moment only the aquascaping is in the tank. I get the last of the equipment I needed to finally put sand and water in tomorrow. After I get everything situated I will take more pics. I do have 2 AI Prime HD 16 LED lights but im going to let the tank cycle for a few before mounting them and getting them set up. Once I get to that I'll also update on where exactly they are mounted and PAR levels. Its going to be a little process to getting corals in there but I'll get there. I made the stand larger than the tank cause I already have a sump in mind for future updates as well. Let me know what you guys think along the way, im like a sponge right now trying to get as much info as possible since this is my first tank.

20200624_113744.jpg 20200630_000047.jpg 20200630_000103.jpg

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank and welcome to the hobby! Say goodbye to your cash flow the addiction is real:). Lol

In all seriousness just go slow, I recommend that you research everything before adding anything. It’ll save you a lot of time and money in the long run. You’re already off to a great start with your cycle approach. Are you going hanging on back (HOB) on the filtration? Do you have access to RODI water? Just some things to think about. I’ll keep following along, excited to see the progress!

OP
OP
Funston07

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank and welcome to the hobby! Say goodbye to your cash flow the addiction is real:). Lol

In all seriousness just go slow, I recommend that you research everything before adding anything. It’ll save you a lot of time and money in the long run. You’re already off to a great start with your cycle approach. Are you going hanging on back (HOB) on the filtration? Do you have access to RODI water? Just some things to think about. I’ll keep following along, excited to see the progress!
The addiction is crazy lol. Im looking at stuff learning about it that either I wont even implement into my system for a year or more if ever but I find it all very interesting so it's not like its wasted time researching. Currently I have a HOB filter but don't plan on having it for any long period of time. Kinda planning on getting a HOB OF and 34in sump within 6 months. Im not a huge fan of the HOB OF either but giving this is my first tank I just wanna get the process of everything down and then go all in on my next tank once this one is successful, i didnt wanna wait to get this one drilled and then wait to be able to afford a sump and everything ya know. Just wanted to get the ball rolling. I do have an RODI system, I live in a very rural area so the closest LFS is about 45min to an hour away. Plus $1.25 a gallon it just wasnt really an option to not get a system and install it here. But yeah as far as the cycling I wanna minimize the ugly stage.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community!
Tank off to a nice start

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
well i already welcomed...so here for the ride ;) :cool:
what skimmer are you planning on,hob octopus bh models are great no chance of overflowing ;)

OP
OP
Funston07

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i already welcomed...so here for the ride ;) :cool:
what skimmer are you planning on,hob octopus bh models are great no chance of overflowing ;)
Im not 100% sure on the skimmer yet. There's sooo many of them lol. But my goal kinda is to be able to get a 34" sapphire trigger sump to add to this system before I would even technically need a skimmer that way I have the option of getting an internal one if wanted and also add a refugium. I was all for just getting HOB equipment at first but after going down the saltwater wormhole I just really like how organized and out of site the sump makes equipment to free up your DT.

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r looks like a good start make sure you put thin polystyrene under the tank before you fill it especially with it being on untreated wood as it will move a bit with temp swings the polystyrene will help spread weight of the tank once filled so it won't crack at the bottom good luck and rmemebr only tell the mrs half what everything costs

OP
OP
Funston07

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r looks like a good start make sure you put thin polystyrene under the tank before you fill it especially with it being on untreated wood as it will move a bit with temp swings the polystyrene will help spread weight of the tank once filled so it won't crack at the bottom good luck and rmemebr only tell the mrs half what everything costs
Dont you only have to worry about that with fully flat bottom tanks? Obviously the tank bottom is flat lol but what I mean is this tank has trim around the edges and braces across it, all the weight is technically supported around the edge. I knew it was basically a must for tanks that their glass sits flush with the stand. It originally was on a metal stand that had no center at all. The lady I got it from said it supported it fine but I wasnt risking that, it was extremely unstable IMO. I'll attach a picture of the original stand.

20200624_112844.jpg

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my fresh water tanks is similar I don’t have anything under it is only planted but you have a lot of rock in yours so it maybe worth putting something within the Frame just to support glass someone else may chime in and say otherwise but I’d rather be safe than sorry

OP
OP
Funston07

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my fresh water tanks is similar I don’t have anything under it is only planted but you have a lot of rock in yours so it maybe worth putting something within the Frame just to support glass someone else may chime in and say otherwise but I’d rather be safe than sorry
No you do have a valid point, definitely dont wanna worry about leaks if I can help prevent it. I was planning on putting sand and water in today but I might wait until tomorrow. I got some 1/4" weather resistant neoprene at work I can get my hands on cause we throw away sections we cant use which would be more than what I even need. I'll just basically need two sections to fill in those 16x24 sqaures that are not fully supported.

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you do have a valid point, definitely dont wanna worry about leaks if I can help prevent it. I was planning on putting sand and water in today but I might wait until tomorrow. I got some 1/4" weather resistant neoprene at work I can get my hands on cause we throw away sections we cant use which would be more than what I even need. I'll just basically need two sections to fill in those 16x24 sqaures that are not fully supported.
Cool it’s a lot quicker than cleaning water off the floor look forward to seeing the rest of the build

OP
OP
Funston07

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool it’s a lot quicker than cleaning water off the floor look forward to seeing the rest of the build
I don't even wanna imagine having to deal with that lol. Plus my gf hasn't even asked what this has cost me so it's been smooth sailing with her but if that happened it definitely wouldn't be anymore. We have original hardwood floors from 1941 throughout the entire main floor so if that happened she might figure out a way to get her small hands arounds my neck

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,do not try to fit in pcs between trim on bottom ,make sure fully on pad ,trim distributes equally ,just under the glass is a recipe for disaster!!

OP
OP
Funston07

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,do not try to fit in pcs between trim on bottom ,make sure fully on pad ,trim distributes equally ,just under the glass is a recipe for disaster!!
Thanks, I originally thought this. Thats why the tank was on a stand that didnt even have a center, it was only supported under the outside trim area. Plus it does have a brace dead center under the bottom of the glass to help support it as is. I wasnt gonna fully support just the glass, just kinda create a cushion but still supported by the trim, im gonna leave it as it is now I think it will be fine. Plus idk how big of a difference it is but the bottom pane of glass is tempered

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
tempered makes no difference,its the twist that does it,i use wood stands but use 3/4 pink foam board ,tank will" melt" in true level,at this point ,i would recommend using stuff from work,after full a couple of days trim off extra,always better,safe than sorry ;) :)

OP
OP
Funston07

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so quick update. I got a 1/4" sheet of all weather resistant neoprene that I laid down for support of the tank and had enough too cover the entire top of the stand which will help protect against any water damage to my stand from any spills. I mixed up my first batch of saltwater last night and left in the barrel with a powerhead on to help with making sure it was mixed well. Im gonna go to home depot really quick to get some tubing im going to need later on and add the sand today and start transferring water into the tank.

20200701_074128.jpg

Back