7'×6'×4.5' tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jayden K
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jayden K

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 9, 2024
Messages
537
Reaction score
282
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody, it's been in while since I've been on r2r, I just finished my first round of college applications last week. I'm looking for someone to build me a large tank in my home, I don't know if I want it to be fresh or saltwater yet, but I just want to get a cost estimate for a tank that size. Has anyone built a tank this size, either hiring a company or building it yourself, how did you do it. Any information would help.
 
@Joe Glass Cages can help I'm sure! I would advise you to consider a shallower tank though, a 4 foot deep tank is gonna be a nightmare to maintain.
I want to see it eye level, I don't really know what maintance you would have to do other than water changes, everything else can be done with one of those trash picking up tools. I just got on the phone with 2 builders both said it would be around 70k. Im like most people and don't want to spend 70k on the tank alone, maybe for everything combined that makes sense. I just need a way to buy glass panels and everything else I can do on my own.
 
@Joe Glass Cages can help I'm sure! I would advise you to consider a shallower tank though, a 4 foot deep tank is gonna be a nightmare to maintain.
I'll reach out to him though, thanks for the help.
 
I want to see it eye level, I don't really know what maintance you would have to do other than water changes, everything else can be done with one of those trash picking up tools. I just got on the phone with 2 builders both said it would be around 70k. Im like most people and don't want to spend 70k on the tank alone, maybe for everything combined that makes sense. I just need a way to buy glass panels and everything else I can do on my own.
yeah, I can imagine $70k isn't ideal if you're working on college apps! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
 
You understand that this tank won't fit through any standard size doorways (35/36" wide and 80" tall). Also, consider it's weight. It would need to be placed on a very solid, likely reinforced and engineered, concrete slab. 1,413 gallons (11,304 pounds) plus the weight of the glass tank itself (likely 2,000 plus pounds).
Best of luck! Dream BIG but be realistic! Please start a build thread when you get it going.
 
yeah, I can imagine $70k isn't ideal if you're working on college apps! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
At 70K... gotta be Acrylic. @jayden kolonne

Let's look at Glass. will not be able to do 54 Tall though. Max height with a 72 width would be 36" with Glass

$11,345 84 x 72 x 36 Tall Glass Aquarium with Euro Bracing, 935 Gallons

Hope this helps.
 
At 70K... gotta be Acrylic. @jayden kolonne

Let's look at Glass. will not be able to do 54 Tall though. Max height with a 72 width would be 36" with Glass

$11,345 84 x 72 x 36 Tall Glass Aquarium with Euro Bracing, 935 Gallons

Hope this helps.
Hey @Joe Glass Cages , what would be the cost of a 96" x 36" x 30" tall eurobraced tank with low iron glass and coast to coast external glass overflow on rear panel?? Please and thank you! -David
 
Hey @Joe Glass Cages , what would be the cost of a 96" x 36" x 30" tall eurobraced tank with low iron glass and coast to coast external glass overflow on rear panel?? Please and thank you! -David
for sure.

This is with Low Iron Front only, Coast to Coast overflow on the back and with all the bulkheads, 96 x 36 x 30 tall. can go to 31 Tall for the same price. $5,920


We do have a fun tank building video game on our website.

https://build.glasscages.com/
tons of stand options being added weekly.
 
for sure.

This is with Low Iron Front only, Coast to Coast overflow on the back and with all the bulkheads, 96 x 36 x 30 tall. can go to 31 Tall for the same price. $5,920


We do have a fun tank building video game on our website.

https://build.glasscages.com/
tons of stand options being added weekly.
This is very appealing!! I will put together a few questions and send you a PM shortly. Thank you sir!! -David
do it jewish GIF
 
At 70K... gotta be Acrylic. @jayden kolonne

Let's look at Glass. will not be able to do 54 Tall though. Max height with a 72 width would be 36" with Glass

$11,345 84 x 72 x 36 Tall Glass Aquarium with Euro Bracing, 935 Gallons

Hope this helps.
What is euro bracing? Is that the plastic corners that support the tank?
 
Glass bracing around the perimeter of tank. A quick Google is worth a thousand words...
I did, i was confused if it was that overlapping glass pattern like inner than outer or the glass lip. When I searched it up the pictures had both.
 
There are different styles. The general idea is that the rim(and sometimes bottom of vertical panes) around the aquarium is reinforced/ attached to each other by glass/ acrylic, not just the seams. It can be 2" Strips of glass around the perimeter or it can be 1 solid piece on top. Makes the tank much stronger and contains water from splashing over the edge. A must have for large tanks.
 
Hello everybody, it's been in while since I've been on r2r
What ever happened to your Parameter monitor that you were working on? I haven't seen any updates..

Regarding a tank of this size, the continuous running cost will easily be in the hundreds if not thousands per month just to maintain. Have you calculated the energy cost to run a tank that size? You would need dedicated circuits put in for the tank...and as previously mentioned the structural requirements and even getting it into the house, you would have to cut a hole in the side of the house. The initial cost for just the tank is a small portion of the total cost to do a project of this size. You can't just place a tank of that size on the first floor of a house unless the house sits on a properly reinforced slab.

As a college bound highschooler I would highly encourage you to think much smaller. Unless your parents are millionaires, I have no idea how a high school student would pay for a project like this?
 
LOL, the sump would be HUGE! I'd be curious as to what the total cost would be after all the equipment is taken into consideration as well. You'd have to have a small room dedicated for behind the scenes. And plumbing from afar would drive your pump cost up hard-core! If I had more time on my hands I'd LOVE to do a cost work up on something like this!
 
You understand that this tank won't fit through any standard size doorways (35/36" wide and 80" tall). Also, consider it's weight. It would need to be placed on a very solid, likely reinforced and engineered, concrete slab. 1,413 gallons (11,304 pounds) plus the weight of the glass tank itself (likely 2,000 plus pounds).
Best of luck! Dream BIG but be realistic! Please start a build thread when you get it going.
My 2 large tanks, (roughly 700 and 800g’s) were built on site as fully built tanks would not fit in service elevator. They are on the 26th floor of a 5 year old condo building. The building architect engineer did sign off on the projects with no additional modification’s needed. On a single family home, it is probably best to have an engineer validate.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new