7 months of coral growth in 30 seconds

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a fun video to watch! Being new it was great to see what we might be able to accomplish over time. Thank you for sharing this.

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone!!

Basically, it's any sunscreen containing the chemicals oxybenzone and octinoxate, which is most of them. The safe ones are the zinc-based sunscreens.

Whiskey

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone!!

Basically, it's any sunscreen containing the chemicals oxybenzone and octinoxate, which is most of them. The safe ones are the zinc-based sunscreens.

Whiskey
Nice video. If I understand correctly you put your hands/arms in tank to do maintenance and there was sunscreen on your skin still and that's how it happened?. I've been keeping fish FW for over 40 years, just started my 1st reef tank an since day one whenever I kknow I'll be working on tank I always used Ivory soap to wash my hands/arms and then rinse thoroughly to avoid contaminating the tank. I've found that Ivory soap has very few "chemicals" in it compared to other soaps and rinses off ur skin pretty easily without leaving a residue on the skin.

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice video. If I understand correctly you put your hands/arms in tank to do maintenance and there was sunscreen on your skin still and that's how it happened?. I've been keeping fish FW for over 40 years, just started my 1st reef tank an since day one whenever I kknow I'll be working on tank I always used Ivory soap to wash my hands/arms and then rinse thoroughly to avoid contaminating the tank. I've found that Ivory soap has very few "chemicals" in it compared to other soaps and rinses off ur skin pretty easily without leaving a residue on the skin.

That is correct, I was careless. I've never been careful enough in washing my hands before working on the tank actually, it's something I'm correcting now. I had played golf in the morning and went to feed the fish in the evening and really didn't think anything of it. If I'm remembering right a snail was upside down in the sand and I just flipped it over as I always do when I see that, I didn't give a second thought to the sunscreen I put on that morning.

Whiskey

Joshua Kerstetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent work. I also have a webcam setup on the long side of my tank. Its currently integrated into Fusion, but something like this, automated daily pictures really interests me. I have a media server that I could use to do this, any links to any programs you've used or any guides?

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent work. I also have a webcam setup on the long side of my tank. Its currently integrated into Fusion, but something like this, automated daily pictures really interests me. I have a media server that I could use to do this, any links to any programs you've used or any guides?

Thank you! If you do make a video be sure to post it! I really enjoy seeing these clips.

I did a write up on how I do it, it's changed a little now because I made a better mount out of acrylic but here is the info:
http://whiskey.xj42.com/Dead_Silent_mixed_reef/raspberry-pi-timelapse

Here is the program I use for making time lapse.
http://www.virtualdub.org/index.html

This is a good write up on it:
http://timelapseblog.com/2009/08/04/using-virtualdub-for-time-lapse/

Whiskey

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back