sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there.

Long story short, here is how it will (I hope) look like:

70g.jpg

Custom eurobraced glass tank and sump. Herbie external glass overflow. DIY stand, lights, canopy and everything else I could do myself. Nyos 120 skimmer. Two Tunze 6055 DC powerheads to make laminar right-to-left flow pattern (no equipment on the left side).

My main goal is DEAD silent system. This tank will be three feets from my bed, so it must be silent.

Nothing special really, but it's my first big (not a pico) reef tank, so I'm very enthusiastic about it :)

pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg Tank.jpg

OP
OP
sikorskys

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand is not symmetrical, made of real 2x4s (100x50mm) and has NO side supports. AFAIK, side supports are optional, so I decided to go without them to save some space.

stand1.jpg

stand2.jpg stand3.jpg stand4.jpg

OP
OP
sikorskys

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump is 20x20x12". I don't want to use filter socks all the time (just when really needed), so it's removable.

There are three sections: for skimmer (going to buy Nyos 120), return pump and a fuge (chaeto). All plumbing is 1".

pic3.jpg

OP
OP
sikorskys

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the tank.

It's custom made of 3/8 glass (10mm). Dimensions are 40x20x20" (100x50x50cm), approx. 70g. Most notable features:
  • Three side 2" recessed eurobracing
  • Front and left panels are low-iron (OptiWhite)
  • Right panel is made of smoked glass
  • 3D-printed "craddle" for removable overflow weir
  • External glass Herbie overflow 10" tall (for 1" plumbing)

Looks good enough for me :)

glass02.jpg

glass03.jpg

glass01.jpg

glass04.jpg

OP
OP
sikorskys

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a thing, that bothers me and here is it:

glass05.jpg

My tank is not sitting on right vertical supports of my DIY stand. I know that it _should_ be ok, 2x4 pine rails must withstand distributed weight of 600-700lbs just fine.

Still, I'm nervous about it :) Is it really safe?

OP
OP
sikorskys

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My scape is ready, finally. Took me two days to put it together :)

It's 46lbs of dry CaribSea Base Rock, though it has been cycling at my LFS for at least a year.

I wanted to create a simple and practical rockscape, with emphasis on negative space. My tank will be LPS dominated most likely, so I need some horizontal space also.

P1220742.JPG

P1220747.JPG

P1220892.JPG

P1220898.JPG

P1220904.JPG

OP
OP
sikorskys

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still have no sump, so decided to make a small "hang-on" fuge out of my external overflow box :)

P1220942.JPG

P1220949.JPG

P1220970.JPG

P1220976.JPG

P1220957.JPG

OP
OP
sikorskys

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put in some new fish. Don't have proper light yet, so my tank will be FOWLR for a while.

I have 4yrs old daughter and live in Ukraine, so I just can't go without clownfish and azure damsel :) And besides that, I love cardinals.

Sorry for this ugly yellow tint, it's my old DIY freshwater planted fixure.

P1230507.jpg

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a thing, that bothers me and here is it:

glass05.jpg

My tank is not sitting on right vertical supports of my DIY stand. I know that it _should_ be ok, 2x4 pine rails must withstand distributed weight of 600-700lbs just fine.

Still, I'm nervous about it :) Is it really safe?

That’s an important place. At a bare minimum, if it was mine, I would cut another sheet of plywood and styrofoam and slide it under to support from front to back, since I assume it’s the same way in the adjacent corner. Also cut a block of 2x4 to support the inside corner. Glued and screwed. Even then, that makes me a little nervous.

It also makes me nervous the way the existing plywood isn’t being pushed down. That means there is uneven contact for some reason.

OP
OP
sikorskys

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s an important place. At a bare minimum, if it was mine, I would cut another sheet of plywood and styrofoam and slide it under to support from front to back, since I assume it’s the same way in the adjacent corner. Also cut a block of 2x4 to support the inside corner. Glued and screwed. Even then, that makes me a little nervous.

It also makes me nervous the way the existing plywood isn’t being pushed down. That means there is uneven contact for some reason.

Thank you. My plywood and especially beams are curved a bit, that's why it looks that way.

By the way, I've created another thread dedicated to this issue, there are some really great replies here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-diy-stand-design-is-this-safe.397537

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boring FTS.

P1230665.jpg

P1230685.jpg

Not boring at all. I have been thinking about your earlier post. I find it interesting that you had your dry rock cycled in the LFS. I have never heard of that, but it is a great idea. It looks like you got some coralline from it. Have you discovered any other life?

OP
OP
sikorskys

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not boring at all.

Thank you.

I have been thinking about your earlier post. I find it interesting that you had your dry rock cycled in the LFS. I have never heard of that, but it is a great idea.

It wasn't planned. I was looking for dry rock to cycle it with bacteria-in-the-bottle for two or three months on my own. They offered me this rocks instead.

My LFS was forced to move to another place approx. year ago. As far as I know, they just put dry rocks they had in a tank to save space or something like this.

I have been thinking about your earlier post. I find it interesting that you had your dry rock cycled in the LFS. I have never heard of that, but it is a great idea. It looks like you got some coralline from it. Have you discovered any other life?

Just one or two amphipods and that's all. I would not buy it otherwise, don't like surprises :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back