72 Gallon Bow Front - newbie

BewareOfButtlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured i would start a threat showing the progress i make on my tank. This is my first saltwater tank that i've purchased for a really good price. It comes with pretty much everything needed to start including sand and live rock! Although i do need more live rock, replace some hoses, and media. So here it is. I will log even my failures! Hopefully get a few good tips along the way.

The tank from day 1 inside my room... Had to stop filling the tank with the RO since i noticed my room shaking more than usual when walking past the tank.. time to reinforce the floor (which will be done today with cinder blocks)

8669982966_b5d3ccbd57_b.jpg

and after emptying the tank to reduce the weight on the floor, i took advantage of this to put in new lights and rearrange the liverock. I think i need more or to move them to the middle but i havent decided yet.

8668881563_7b54c66645_b.jpg

Hopefully be filling the tank back up with the RO, hooking up (but not running) the filters, and adding salt.

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice! Thanks for sharing!

Chasing the Dream Giver, not the dream! Tonya

OP
OP
B

BewareOfButtlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultimately the tank had to move! I had to clear out my closet and put the tank in there. it was a PERFECT fit and looks great. Cranked up the RO, started filling the tank full of water again, and mixed it with salt. I'm slightly over what it should be (1.027) so ill do a small water change and see what happens.

Live rock is starting to show signs of life! Have some green blotches on my live rock which I'm hoping its some nice coraline rather than algae. Along with that, are some great purple blotches on the surface of the rock.

8693392889_ee04c27b7c_b.jpg

Only problem i have been running into is surface protein. I've got the Red Sea Prizm Protein Skimmer Deluxe with the surface skimmer addon and it doesnt seem to be getting anything from the surface. Bought two brand new Hydor Koralia Evo 1050's to add some current to the tank and agitate the surface but its still there in the corner by the Prizm's surface skimmer... Guess ill get a dedicated surface skimmer soon!

Anyway, here is the tank!

8694213988_fd28147860_b.jpg

I will be getting two damselfish in the next couple days after i test water and get everything straightened out.

So far the tank specs:

72 Gallon Bow Front Tank w/ Glass top
Stainless stand and canopy
Aquatop D2Ht-300 Digital Heater
Rena Filstar XP3 Filter w/ jet
Coralife Turbo Twist 3x UV Sterilizer
Read Sea Prizm Deluxe Skimmer
2x Hydor Koralia Evo 1050
48" Coralife Aqualight Deluxe 53106 2x 10k and 2x Actinic

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not get damsels you will regret it later. I would add a bacterial additive to start cycling the tank then test before adding livestock.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you are off to a great start!!

OP
OP
B

BewareOfButtlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not get damsels you will regret it later. I would add a bacterial additive to start cycling the tank then test before adding livestock.
hmm yeah good choice. After finding reasons why you shouldnt have those fish, i'm deciding against it. Thanks for the warning, dont want those little jerks in my tank lol

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be very agressive.:fencing:

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank!

I would just add ether some fish food or a uncooked prawn from the grocery store to get the cycle going.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool tank!

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank. Agree with skinz for getting the cycle started. When I had my 72 set up as a saltwater tank I used a piece of raw shrimp to start my cycle. To make it easier to remove the shrimp later I used a piece of cheese cloth to put the shrimp in.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
B

BewareOfButtlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i decided against getting fish to cycle the tank and bought the API Saltwater Master Kit, which i am impressed with. I tested the water and was at 0 Ammonia, 0 no3, 0 no2, and PH at 8.2. I purchased two Picasso Clown fish about a week ago which seem to like each other and get along with little jockeying.

Here is one of them

8731584333_0380bc731c_b.jpg

Since then, im having either diatom blooms or a brown algae build-up that is starting. I picked up 4 turbo snails, 1 peppermint shrimp, and 10 small crab (cant remember what they're called....) Only one of the crab probably hasnt made it. As soon as i put him in the water, he ran out of his shell. After putting the shell back in front of him, he checked it out then passed it up.

You can definitely tell where the turbo snails have cleaned! The back of the tank and parts of the live rock are looking a lot better. The sand still needs some work so i might pickup a Goby. Only thing is i hear the like to jump out of the tank in small openings. The top is covered in glass except for the rear of the tank where the wires and pumps come in. Should be fine though?

nanoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i decided against getting fish to cycle the tank and bought the API Saltwater Master Kit, which i am impressed with. I tested the water and was at 0 Ammonia, 0 no3, 0 no2, and PH at 8.2. I purchased two Picasso Clown fish about a week ago which seem to like each other and get along with little jockeying.

Here is one of them

8731584333_0380bc731c_b.jpg

Since then, im having either diatom blooms or a brown algae build-up that is starting. I picked up 4 turbo snails, 1 peppermint shrimp, and 10 small crab (cant remember what they're called....) Only one of the crab probably hasnt made it. As soon as i put him in the water, he ran out of his shell. After putting the shell back in front of him, he checked it out then passed it up.

You can definitely tell where the turbo snails have cleaned! The back of the tank and parts of the live rock are looking a lot better. The sand still needs some work so i might pickup a Goby. Only thing is i hear the like to jump out of the tank in small openings. The top is covered in glass except for the rear of the tank where the wires and pumps come in. Should be fine though?
\

Depends on the goby. I had the same outbreak happen at first. Seachem purigen helped a bit. Just give it some time for the new to wear off. After I went through the diatom bloom in my sump I had a bacterial bloom. The tank was cloudy for a week or so. Again the purigen really helped shorten it. After that cleared its been smooth sailing so that's what worked for me.

OP
OP
B

BewareOfButtlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like im making a trip to the fish store again. Ill give the purigen a try and see how it goes. This is why i love forums like these!

nanoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used it several times and it is hands down my favorite filter media. It is cheap, effective, and reusable. What more can ya ask for.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back