75 Gallon build

jjj5311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

New user here, I purchased a used setup (equipment only) and am getting it all cleaned up after I leak tested the main tank. My only saltwater experience was a pufferfish tank that I had in college years ago.

My son won a goldfish at the fair and we got it setup in a tank and it kind of re-ignited my interested in saltwater tank. My goal is to have a few fish, clean up crew, and corals eventually.

Equipment that I got with the tank:
-75 gallon tank, drilled for a sump, single drain and fill. (no actual pic, you can see it behind the sump pic)
-30 gallon sump, I know the tank overflow went into left side and not sure what was in middle section and then heater, skimmer, and return pump were all in the right side.
1638292182559.png

-Stand (didn't actually fit the tank so I am going to build a new one)
-1000gal/hr water pump
-Skimmer, no markings or anything on it so i have no idea what it is.
1638292126878.png

-Current Loop wave pumps and light... 2 wave pumps and a 48" light with the controller. Is there a manual for this or do you just set time and it does the rest? I did plug it all in and troubleshooting got it working, i believe this is the closest thing i could find. I am sure mine is a few years old. https://current-usa.com/orbit-marine-led/
-Coralife 2 bulb t5 48" fixture with 54W ATI aquablue and blue plus bulbs
-2 other circulation pumps
-300W Heater
-Misc stuff, like test kit, refractometer, digital salinity gauge. Basically they gave me all their stuff as they were getting out of hobby.

Stuff i have purchased so far:
-RODI system
-20 lbs of live rock in a tub with heater and circulation pump (I purchased this and the guy gave me the 70 gallon tank and the sand as he didn't want to deal with it).
-40 lbs of dry rock

Couple of questions I have
1. Sump setup, how would you do it if it was your setup? I don't know enough to tell if this will work as is or if i should start over.
2. Overflow plumbing to sump, do you plumb it to the bottom of the sump or let it drop in the top?
3. Used sand... do i reuse the sand from the tank i got the live rock from? I have read different opinions in my research.
4. Refugium, i think i want one and have seen a few DIY "external" refugiums that i might try. Is it worth it?
5. Startup... i read Lasse 16 step method and i kind of like that method as it seems to move a little faster.

Tons of good info here so far and I am pretty excited to get going on this process.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Myself, I'd buy something like a Trigger sump. Your existing sump is missing things like filter sock holders, ATO, refugium chamber and much smaller return pump chamber.
2. About 4-6" or so from the bottom (but under the water).
3. You can (just clean it thoroughly). All new substrate was once used, lol.
4. I don't use one, but many people do like them (see #1).
5. Insta-cycle is the only way to fly...

OP
OP
J

jjj5311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Myself, I'd buy something like a Trigger sump. Your existing sump is missing things like filter sock holders, ATO, refugium chamber and much smaller return pump chamber.
2. About 4-6" or so from the bottom (but under the water).
3. You can (just clean it thoroughly). All new substrate was once used, lol.
4. I don't use one, but many people do like them (see #1).
5. Insta-cycle is the only way to fly...
Thank you!

OP
OP
J

jjj5311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got around to building a stand. Still got to make it pretty. I am thinking of doing magnetic wood accent panels so I can pop them on and off easy for fill access to sump area.

I made it tall to give me plenty of room underneath but didn’t stray far from the tank dimensions.

live rock appears to have some life on it in its temp home.

I took out the sump baffles and am going to redo it to include a refuge.
94249AB9-71C7-42D5-9528-6B724F17BD2D.jpeg
7DBF027E-ED21-4197-8672-7E9BABDAAEE8.jpeg

OP
OP
J

jjj5311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaked test and let it run to ensure i liked the sump layout for a couple days.
IMG_5009.jpg

Good backwards picture of the sump. I hate these stupid hoses so it will be PVC once it goes inside. Drain and skimmer will be in far right, live media, ceramic rings, small live rocks, etc in the 2nd chamber. 3rd chamber is going to be for chaeto someday, then a bubble trap and return pump.
IMG_5008.jpg

OP
OP
J

jjj5311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5097.jpg

Tank made it inside! aquascape is a little ***** but ill live with it! Cord management is a mess and will need to be addressed someday. I just wanted to get it all up and running. Everything seems to be working perfect.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back