75 gallon mixed reef 2 Reefled 50W too strong?

servus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I am running the title setup from the title, and not sure what to set the light output to. I had it mixed (daylight/blue), both going to about 75%, corals placed around the tank, not doing too bad. I adjusted the blue to 85% max, daylight 0-20% depending on day.
Lights about 7 inches above surface.

2. After that, had an ammonia spike, had to take all corals and fish out (corals lived with natural light for about 3 weeks). Tank cycled again, ammonia down to zero, all good, corals and fish happy.

3. Corals back in the tank, same 80% blue, 0-20% daylight, acclimatization cycle 99 days, starting at 55%.

Even if the light is less than 6-8 weeks ago, the tank seems to have too much light and some corals are behaving interesting:
- cyphastrea, electro leptoseris, lightning tip leptastrea, psammocora are getting back their color, they seem to be doing amazing
- palythoa went from dark brown/purple, 1 inch polyps (before ammonia spike) to translucent, partially closed, half inch polyps
- zoas opened up at beginning of step 3, now they are not opening up as much
- goniopora slowly coming back to life
- my duncan whisker doesn't even care, he's very good, although does not extend as much

Questions:
1. Am I misplacing my corals? SPS placed in the top third section, doing amazing. Zoas placed at the bottom, will wait. Paly/gonio/duncan/some zoas - placed mid tank.

2. Is it too much light for the paly/gonio/zoas?

3. What would you set these lights at? I don't have a PAR meter.

4. Is PAR reading proportional with % intensity? If so, is the PAR chart on their website for 100% blue + 100% white?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you can translate PAR levels with intensity levels on a chart.

Maybe show us the chart or give us a link to the website?

OP
OP
S

servus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the PAR chart for the 90W and the 50W.

Based on that, running at max 85%, with acclimatization at 65%, that should mean a composite of 55% of the total output on the blue light and approx 15% of the total output for white. That means out of 50W, I am running at around 25W. Does that mean the PAR is about half at any point in the tank?

Based on the math above, it means at the bottom I should have about 50 PAR wherever the zoas/gonio/paly are, and about 150-200 for these: cyphastrea, electro leptoseris, lightning tip leptastrea, psammocora.

Does this sound right?

1608573005745.png

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back