75 Gallon redo that became a 220

ochriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we have had a 75 gallon for almost 20 years, started FOWLR then became mixed reef you guys know how it goes from there. We started with BS bio ball sump with hang on overflow box. A couple years into our tank we came to know a local shop owner who was not a fan of that type set up so we made some changes. we did not want a sump so switched to a lot of live rock and a CPR HOB skimmer a few power heads with pretty good success. We have had all types of lighting from VHO's, Halides, and Then finally t5's. our custom made stand and canopy doesn't allow for excessive heat exchange so a chiller has always been needed. as many of you know during the life span it is very easy to fall out of the love affair that is reef keeping so it has had its up and downs.
With the age of our tank I was growing wary of the tanks integrity no signs of problems but was have thoughts of coming home to 75 gallon shallow carpet reef. Late last year I ran across a deal for a couple mp40's and 2 radions and so the redo began. picked up a reef octopus HOB skimmer and at Christmas got a new 75 gal marineland tank from a local shop.

Plan was to salvage as much as possible from display put in a holding tank while anticipating some sort of a small cycle. Our tank had a terrible Mojano problem so several things had been killed off and would not be making the transition. the more we planned we came to the conclusion that the live rock would not be making the change given its age and the amount of mojano felt like not a good way to restart.

we ordered some new live rock from aquarium arts in California scheduled delivery for a Friday in January and the redo began. we started by removing all the still living livestock and corals and moved to temporary housing. got everything set up and off we went.

Unfortunately we had a Mexican turbo about the size of a racquet ball die over a weekend that we were away and lost pretty much everything in temporary housing:(.

I will post some pics of the process soon.

Fast forward. My wife is all in just like most things we do and after a few trips to Orlando in may and the availability on FB and online our new 75 is no longer big enough. We picked up a 220 in wall aquarium from a couple about 45 minutes away from our home. Medical conditions had made it almost impossible for them to care for the tank so they were stepping away from the hobby and we picked up the whole set up.

the set up came with a few canister filters and hob fuge/skimmer and lighting that we will not be using going forward but we feel like we got a good deal for the 200+ pounds of live rock and the tank.

OP
OP
ochriso

ochriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a pic of the 220 we picked up
220.jpg

OP
OP
ochriso

ochriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we have cats so we will have a canopy as well. sorry don't have any concept pictures.
the top portion is removable so can get into the house
IMG_20160718_092527812.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is going to be a nice upgrade. I like the idea of the metal canopy.

OP
OP
ochriso

ochriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we own a countertop fabrication shop so the covering is going to be corian type material which is all acrylic so no concerns of water damage over time. had frame powder coated and panels will be held on with magnets. also building a sump out of same type material.

OP
OP
ochriso

ochriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank was originally going where or 75 was sitting on the wall to the right which backs up to the laundry room which currently has water station and newly installed apex. we drained about 20 gallons out of the 75 and used plastic furniture movers to slide 75 to the other side of the room for now. we put the stand in place and wife is concerned too big for that wall so going to put on another wall in front of window. luckily the window is shielded by our back porch so don't get any real natural light to speak of . I think my wife has out smarted me on this one because for new tank to go in going to replace carpet with new tile and she is in the process of removing wall paper and getting walls ready to paint.
IMG_20160803_214210920_TOP.jpg

OP
OP
ochriso

ochriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 220 has dual overflows in the back which I planned to remove the overflow covers and make returns but I didn't quite leave enough room for the bulkheads on the bottom to clear the steel frame so decided to seal off the holes and drill returns into the back of the tank instead. ordered a synergy reef 20'' overflow to install in the back super excited about it its an awesome piece.

OP
OP
ochriso

ochriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
made some progress got the floor down in the dining room area where the tank is going and my wife got the wall paper removed and wall painted. Last night got the stand moved into place as well. Removed the dual overflows from the tank and I will cover the holes in the bottom with some glass I picked up at a local glass shop. Drilled the holes for the new synergy reef overflow and new return lines.
IMG_20160822_055406069.jpg

cat approves of the new tile

OP
OP
ochriso

ochriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20160821_210354885.jpg

Made a drilling template for the holes with a watering channel so I could clamp it in place to use as a guide. used a garden sprayer to feed water into the channel. worked very well with minimal chipping on the exit side.

OP
OP
ochriso

ochriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is sitting on frame with the back side out so I can attach the new overflow and plumb the returns.
Also picked up some black sticker vinyl to apply to back of tank instead of painting. cost about $40 for a piece large enough for the back of the tank.

OP
OP
ochriso

ochriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
things have been crazy at work so not much happening on the tank right now. got the material ordered for making the sump and outside finishing materials. Wanted to take a minute and show a few pics from the 75 redo in January
IMG_20151212_103804641.jpg

before

tank drained with canopy removed
IMG_20160115_234147392.jpg

tank removed. the laundry room backs up to the wall so plumbing for chiller and top came through wall
IMG_20160116_010422041_HDR.jpg

new tank in place scaped and adding water
IMG_20160117_042150350.jpg

OP
OP
ochriso

ochriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made some progress on the sump over the weekend. Making it from 1/2'' thick Livingstone acrylic solid surface material we use to make countertops. the color is a white base with metallic particulate.
IMG_20160905_082321902.jpg

using cnc router to cut out
IMG_20160904_125710769.jpg

rough assembly pics
IMG_20160904_160034176_TOP.jpg
IMG_20160904_160128773_TOP.jpg
IMG_20160904_173100655.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice DIY. Are you going to use clear acrylic for the front of the sump. Also that is a heavy duty sump.

OP
OP
ochriso

ochriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice DIY. Are you going to use clear acrylic for the front of the sump. Also that is a heavy duty sump.

Thanks ! yes going to use 1/4'' thick clear acrylic on the front. yeah gonna HD but only because that's what I have haha

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back