75 gallon reef build

james2662

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2 weeks ago I upgraded my 29 to a 75 and figured I would start a tread to track it.
Equipment:
DeepBlue 75RR
20L sump
ASM G2 skimmer
generic 250w MH with 4 T5HO (UVL Actinic White, ATI True Actinic, ATI Coral+, ATI Blue+) I plan on upgrading this next.
4 Koralias for flow
A phosban 150 for gfo
a few generic pumps for return and reactor.
Hydor Smart Water Level Controller
ReefKeeper Lite controller

Current Fish:
2 Osc Clowns
1 Bi-Color Foxface ( when gets too big already have a new home arranged)
Several Snails

Corals:
2 different frogspawn
2 monti's ( one purple, one Green with white polyps)
1 red planet frag ( the small encrusted plug with a little tip)
1 pink birdsnest
1 Blue Ridge Colony
1 small bit of xena on a rock by itself.

The brown on the sand is currently the only real issue I am having. I know before I can put more coral anywhere else I need to upgrade lights but those that I have now are growing quite well.
Params:
Dkh 10
Salinity 35ppt
Calcium 440-460ppm
Nitrate .5ppm
Phosphate .02ppm

I don't have a mag test yet(one of my next purchases) but I do a weekly 5 gallon water change with RC and also top off with Kalk(Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime).
The basket in the top has Macro(penny macro with CUC) in it because I haven't decided how I want to put a light in the new stand for the sump section it used to grow in before the upgrade.
I hope i didn't miss anything. Any suggestions are welcome. I have been in the hobby for about 2 years now and the clowns and biggest frogspawn have made it from the start. Slow and steady is the goal.
The attached pic is of the old setup with the sump sitting out front and an overflow box. Wife didn't like that too much so it was her idea to upgrade and build new stand.:bigsmile:

build1.jpg
fts3.jpg
fts2.jpg
fts1.jpg
corals2.jpg
coral 1.jpg
build3.jpg
build2.jpg
start1.jpg

build1.jpg

build2.jpg

build3.jpg

coral 1.jpg

corals2.jpg

fts1.jpg

fts2.jpg

fts3.jpg

old1.jpg

start1.jpg

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a great build thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
james2662

james2662

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170213_171658.jpg
20170210_223540.jpg

Just remembered this thread today. Been a busy couple years. Just did the sump and skimmer upgrade. That is a recent fts. That is the same blue ridge from the first set of photos.

OP
OP
james2662

james2662

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well an update sooner than the last. From Xena take over, to removal of most of it a few weeks ago and some FHC frags. Along with a few new dc pumps.
Xena almost did the monti in but its coming back pretty fierce now that it has room . Now this dino bloom, you can see it starting in a few of these.
20180929_090121.jpg

20180929_090056.jpg

Before xena removal below. After above :)
20180914_201341.jpg

20180929_090117.jpg

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking very impressive, great build!!:)

OP
OP
james2662

james2662

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above about the dinos it seems I have gotten ahead of them with bringing my Nitrates up to detectable levels and a 48 hr black out so that they where encouraged to stop photosynthesis. Will see if it stays that way.

I guess I should update my equipment list as well.
Cant seem to find the strike through so bold is new since the first list, not necessarily recent.

Equipment:
DeepBlue 75RR
Skimz UP39 Sumpro sump
Vertex Omega 130 Skimmer
Two Galaxyhydro blackbox LEDs
1 Koralia in refugium
1 Koralia for flow behind rock work
2 Skimz SS9.0 Supersilent wavemaker
Return pump: Skimz

QUIETPRO 6.0 DC CONTROLLABLE WATER PUMP
Skimz
MONZTER ZM120 EXTERNAL ZEOLITH REACTOR (ran internally off return line)

A phosban 150 with carbon with a maxijet pushing it
ReefKeeper SL2 module with float switches for auto top off with AquaLifter

ReefKeeper Lite controller - Seems like ill be either doing my own Raspberry Pi controller soon or getting an Apex since they have gotten out of the controller business.
I do also use filter socks that I clean/switch out twice a week or so.

Current Fish:
2 Osc Clowns
1 Bi-Color Foxface ( when gets too big already have a new home arranged)
1 Copperband Butterfly
Several Snails
3 Hermits

Corals:
Reef Farm frogspawn has fragged itself when moved recently into 3 pieces with many heads
Reef Farm Green Monti

Reef Farm Blue Ridge Colony
Too much xena. (Now might qualify as pest lol)
Reef Farm Green Pocci

Recently added Frags

FHC Generac
FHC Ice Crusher
ORA Green Planet
FHC 420 Special
FHC Rad Berry
FHC Rotten Rose Mille
Jason Fox Razmataz
Tyree Blue Tip Stag
Reef Pets Blue Tip Green Slimer
FHC Purple Bonsai
ORA Green Slimer
FHC Electrolight
FHC Blue Rocket

OP
OP
james2662

james2662

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can i ask why you chose 4 kora instead of say 2 gyre 250 or a ice 3k?

Well the gyre wasn't out at the the time I got them. Also I bought most of them used locally, they are reliable and could do the job I was needing. The recent upgrade to two of the Skimz SS9.0 wave makers, was for the smaller footprint they have, higher flow, they are DC, and controllable.
I still have one Koralia in the display, though it isn't really needed but I have it going on/off with the lights just testing it being there. I did have it going across the back of the tank but have found it wasn't needed there either.

OP
OP
james2662

james2662

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them. They move a lot of water and the controller works like it says. The only thing I can say is the sticky pads they come with need a really good surface. One stuck good the other didn't, but cant complain too much didn't have that one on the best surface. Night mode works and I leave it on the tidal setting.

gt44ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them. They move a lot of water and the controller works like it says. The only thing I can say is the sticky pads they come with need a really good surface. One stuck good the other didn't, but cant complain too much didn't have that one on the best surface. Night mode works and I leave it on the tidal setting.
Kinda resurrecting here, but I'm looking for some info on the Skimz powerheads too and there's just not a lot out there.
My question is, what's the flow pattern like on these? Wide cone? Narrow stream? Comparisons to other powerheads (MP-40s, Tunzes, Koralias, etc) are welcome.
I need to send water a long way without stirring up my fine sand bed.
Thanks!

OP
OP
james2662

james2662

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used MP-XX's or Tunzes, but compared to a Koralia it is a little bit of a broader stream, and it is pretty strong at about the three and a half foot mark (starts hitting the other ones flow due to the angles) I had to take out the Koralia I had in there still (housing cracked) and Marine One pellet food still makes about 2 circles around the tank before settling. I also have some fine sand on one side and since one hits the front glass it did stir some up at first and has moved the top sand back a couple inches but isn't causing the fine sand to get into the water column anymore. Hope that helps.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back