75g makeover

Jenksreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a 75g tank on Facebook marketplace for 50$ so obviously I had to purchase it. It had been used to house fish, reptiles, the works. Therefore, the glass has some minor scratches, some silicone damage, and typical wear of a 50$ 75g tank. I don't mind the work of renovating a tank and kind of enjoy the project. With that being said, my plans for the tank include, stripping black paint off back glass, going rimless, buffing the scratches out of the glass, bracing the tank, drilling the tank, and installing an internal overflow.

So far I have stripped the back of the tank of the black paint that was on it. I have also removed the black trim on the top of the tank. I am still debating whether or not to remove the bottom of the trim. I am also in debate about how to brace the aquarium, I have researched a couple different options. Those options include laying a 3" wide piece across the middle and edges of the tank. The other option would be to euro brace the tank. What do you guys think?

For buffing the tank I am planning on using cerium oxide and water component on the scratches. I'll start on the front of the tank and see how it goes. I'll have an updated post about that in the future. If anybody knows another way or has used a different method successfully, feel free to share.

Drilling the tank will be the last thing I do. I will be drilling the tank to the size of the overflow I purchase. I am currently deciding which overflow to use. Ones that stuck out to me are the Eclipse S Overflow Box (600 GPH) or the Eclipse M Overflow (800) GPH. My main questions are, would this be enough turnover for a 75 gallon reef or should I go with something bigger. Another question, how big should my return hole be? Should I drill it the same size as the intake? Smaller? Bigger? Let me know.

Here is the tank when I first purchased it:
75g initial picture.jpg

OP
OP
Jenksreef

Jenksreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the tank rimless and stripped of silicone. I removed the paint from the glass with a razor blade and removed the trim on the top with a heat gun, chisel, and rubber mallet. The next thing on my to do list is buff the tank. I am currently waiting on some cerium oxide to come in the mail. It's supposed to be here September 19-2, hopefully it arrives on time.
75g picture 2.jpg

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build...Following. You can use the S but I would go with the M or L for a 75g. I currently have the S on my 40g that is only a foot less than the 75g. The return I have a 3/4 hole and is good enough but you can go for an inch.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back