29g BioCube

Jenksreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I have never posted on the site before so we will see how this goes. I have started a 29g BioCube saltwater tank. I had two 55g saltwater tanks in high school and have since then talked myself into starting another tank in college. I chose a 29g BioCube because I can move it locations if need be. Last week I purchased two bangaii cardinal fish as the first fish in the tank. They are both doing well in my opinion, they are recognizing feeding times and scavenging everything they can. As well as the fish are doing, the tank seems to enjoy growing brown algae on the sand bed and rocks. I am awaiting a call from my local fish store in hopes of some clownfish being back in stock. A cleanup crew will probably be next on the list. Here is my tank, feel free to let me know if you guys have any ideas on clean up crew, stocking preferences, or anything of the sorts. Enjoy.

29g BioCube Bangaii Cardinals.JPG 29g BioCube.jpeg

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the Biocube, I was trying to access the pictures but for some reason they wouldn’t open! For my 13.5 gallon tank we have 10 tiny hermits, 2-5 snails (they get eaten by my elegance coral pretty regularly so it fluctuates lol), an emerald crab, and a pistol/goby pair. I was given the advice to start slow with CUC and only add what you need.

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few tanks, the jbj 29 gal nano still one of my favorites, good choice for a tank that can still be moved without to much difficulty, also a very fun one to aqua scape in my opion.
Oh, and welcome to r2r.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those interested and those that care. Since August 8, I have added a couple things including a rose bubble tip anemone, 2 clownfish, 2 snails (I'm unaware what kind), and 2 emerald crabs. Here is a little picture to show the update.
29g BioCube September 2019.jpeg
It’s looking really nice! I have a 29 bio cube as well. What if anything have you done in the back filtration or lighting? Or is everything stock as it comes?

OP
OP
Jenksreef

Jenksreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, the lighting is stock. I have considered getting a kessil LED light but we will see. I don't have a huge need for upgraded lighting as there are no coral in it, just an anemone. Therefore, the lighting will probably stay as is for a while. In the back filtration I purchased a ceramic biomedia plate (8"x8"x1") and cut it in half to fit both sides completely underwater in the sump compartment. I cut the plate easily with a utility knife. I can't say I know how much help the media plate is offering but I like knowing that its back there. I didn't care to try the bioballs since I've read some mixed reviews about them. I am also attempting this tank without a protein skimmer. My local fish store doesn't run a skimmer on any of their salt tanks so I'm convinced that 10% weekly water changes will be enough.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, the lighting is stock. I have considered getting a kessil LED light but we will see. I don't have a huge need for upgraded lighting as there are no coral in it, just an anemone. Therefore, the lighting will probably stay as is for a while. In the back filtration I purchased a ceramic biomedia plate (8"x8"x1") and cut it in half to fit both sides completely underwater in the sump compartment. I cut the plate easily with a utility knife. I can't say I know how much help the media plate is offering but I like knowing that its back there. I didn't care to try the bioballs since I've read some mixed reviews about them. I am also attempting this tank without a protein skimmer. My local fish store doesn't run a skimmer on any of their salt tanks so I'm convinced that 10% weekly water changes will be enough.
I got a build thread on R2R I started in 2014 on my 29 bio cube. You can look it over, lots of upgrades I did, including the lighting without taking off the hood. Don’t know if you got a newer 29BC which includes the LED lighting. Mine came with 2 power compacts that would produce a lot of heat, so I retrofitted the hood with RapidLED kit. I went from the small wood stone, oceanic skimmer to and aquatic life 115 skimmer in chamber 1. The center large chamber in the middle has a media basket and a refugium basket lit from behind the tank. Check it out! Let me know if you have questions? Tank is still running good!

Lazydayz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank! I have a 29 bio cube hqi I love it! I dont run a skimmer either nothing but headaches when I did. I do the 10% water changes weekly and everything is stable and healthy. You can check my build thread as well. For CUC I have a few snails, hermits, a Halloween hermit and a diamond goby. The diamond goby is by far my favorite he has a great personality and keeps the sand spotless!!

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks awesome! I started with 29 gallon reef tank. It’s a great option! I have to replace my CUC fairly regularly - I like to throw in a handful ever few months so they’re constantly replenished. Now I just say, can you give me an assortment of snails? I consider it part of the cost of keeping an aquarium, just like food. Plus, they’re pretty cheap.

I also have a cleaner shrimp and an emerald crab in the tank.

Lazydayz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’d love to get a diamond Goby. Any ideas how long I should wait to buy one. The tank is roughly 2 months old.
I'm by no means an expert but I'd say wait to make sure your levels are stable since you just added 2 clowns, snails, rbta and 2 emerald crabs because you dont want to overload your bio filter too quickly.

OP
OP
Jenksreef

Jenksreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a build thread on R2R I started in 2014 on my 29 bio cube. You can look it over, lots of upgrades I did, including the lighting without taking off the hood. Don’t know if you got a newer 29BC which includes the LED lighting. Mine came with 2 power compacts that would produce a lot of heat, so I retrofitted the hood with RapidLED kit. I went from the small wood stone, oceanic skimmer to and aquatic life 115 skimmer in chamber 1. The center large chamber in the middle has a media basket and a refugium basket lit from behind the tank. Check it out! Let me know if you have questions? Tank is still running good!
can you send the link to your build thread so I can check it. I'm sure others would appreciate it also!! Thanks!

OP
OP
Jenksreef

Jenksreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank! I have a 29 bio cube hqi I love it! I dont run a skimmer either nothing but headaches when I did. I do the 10% water changes weekly and everything is stable and healthy. You can check my build thread as well. For CUC I have a few snails, hermits, a Halloween hermit and a diamond goby. The diamond goby is by far my favorite he has a great personality and keeps the sand spotless!!
If there is any way you could share a link to your thread I would love to check it out! Thanks!!

Lazydayz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is any way you could share a link to your thread I would love to check it out! Thanks!!
Sure you can actually click on the banner that says "build thread contributor" under everyone's username it will take you right to their build thread.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’d love to get a diamond Goby. Any ideas how long I should wait to buy one. The tank is roughly 2 months old.

Bioload is important. But after that it depends. Some gobys will eat mysis. Mine does. I also make sure to seed the tank with copepods once a month to give him some extra goodies. They clean the sand in a 29 gallon pretty quickly. So you probably won’t Ever have a self sustaining population without regular seeding.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back