75g Wrasse Stocking

Griffin Bentley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a running 75 gallon display going right now with 7 Banggai Cardinalfish, which will eventually be 2 when they pair up, and a Brazilian Royal Gramma. No coral yet. I plan on also adding a Yellow Eye White Tail Bristletooth (Ctenochaetus Flavicauda) down the line.
I enjoy the Halichoeres genus of wrasse and was hoping to put some of them in as well. Some that I already like are the Chrysus, Melanurus, and radiant (Iridis).
Assuming filtration is adequate, I was wondering how many Halichoeres Wrasses people would recommend for this setup, and if there are any other Halichoeres that people would recommend.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a running 75 gallon display going right now with 7 Banggai Cardinalfish, which will eventually be 2 when they pair up, and a Brazilian Royal Gramma. No coral yet. I plan on also adding a Yellow Eye White Tail Bristletooth (Ctenochaetus Flavicauda) down the line.
I enjoy the Halichoeres genus of wrasse and was hoping to put some of them in as well. Some that I already like are the Chrysus, Melanurus, and radiant (Iridis).
Assuming filtration is adequate, I was wondering how many Halichoeres Wrasses people would recommend for this setup, and if there are any other Halichoeres that people would recommend.
I’d go for 2-3 of the smaller species personally, however I’d have maybe 5-6 wrasses total.

But this is also coming from someone with a 4’ tank that has these fish;
IMG_7469.jpeg

So yes, I do seem to ‘overstock’ my tanks but it works for me.

In terms of what species I’d go for, I would have to put a Radiant in there, but I am slightly biased as I have a ‘pair’. Along with the iridis I think a flash of yellow from a Leucoxanthus would work (I prefer the yellow and white over the solid yellow of a Chrysus). I’d then also go for a species of Cirrhilabrus for the flare of colour. I love my 4 Cirrhilabrus species (I also have 2 Paracheilinus species but I wouldn’t recommend them unless your tank is 4’ or longer).

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go for 2-3 of the smaller species personally, however I’d have maybe 5-6 wrasses total.

IMG_7469.jpeg

In terms of what species I’d go for, I would have to put a Radiant in there, but I am slightly biased as I have a ‘pair’. Along with the iridis I think a flash of yellow from a Leucoxanthus would work (I prefer the yellow and white over the solid yellow of a Chrysus). I’d then also go for a species of Cirrhilabrus for the flare of colour. I love my 4 Cirrhilabrus species (I also have 2 Paracheilinus species but I wouldn’t recommend them unless your tank is 4’ or longer).
What kind of filtration do you have? Is that tank a 75 gallon or a 90? Do you have any aggression with all those angels or any coral nipping problems?

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Griffin Bentley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_7469.jpeg

I hadn't considered a Leucoxanthus, and they're definitely more unique than the Chrysus. I'm going for a more under stocked tank, so I'll probably stick with 2-3 Halichoeres for help with parasites.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back