3 azure damsel???
2 bangii cardinal
1 exquisite firefish
1 royal gramma
2 captive bred spotted mandarin
2 neon goby
2 skunk cleaner shrimp
I may want to keep clams eventually

I'm not sure about the wrasses and the coral beauty and the clam(s)

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have enough experience to offer individual recommendations on your fish list, but I am researching and planning a 90-gallon reef right now that will have a 75-gallon sump and a 75-gallon mangrove tank tied together in a system. Based on my stocking plans, your list seems like an overload for a 75-gallon system.

Do you have a sump or additional system volume like a refugium? Based on my research for a system with a lot more total volume than a 75-gallon, your list seems to include quite a lot of fish and seems like it will be too many for a 75-gallon system. Do you have a plan to deal with heavy bio-load? What sort of filtration will you be using? You will probably need a very efficient foam fractionator/protein skimmer as well as a sump with a lot of porous rock or other porous media to build up the necessary bacteria to handle heavy bio-load.

You also might hear a lot of advice not to put your "other tang" in a 75-gallon tank. My research seems to indicate that a bristletooth (genus Ctenochaetus) is acceptable, but many of the other tangs grow too large for a 75-gallon. I think that some of the other types may be borderline-acceptable (such as a yellow tang (Zebrasoma flavescens), but will need plenty of open swimming space and may get aggressive with limited space or competition for food.

Will there be enough room in a 75-gallon for all of those fish? I think many of them overlap in the areas of the tank that they occupy and you may run into a lot of aggression issues if you stock that heavily.

My experience is fairly limited, since I am pretty new to this hobby, so hopefully others with more experience can give advice.

OP
OP
Lemon

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 35 gallon sump with a marine pure 8x4 brick and 4oish pounds of rock i plan to add more
i also plan to get a over sized algae scrubber
i don't have a skimmer but i will get one if needed after the scrubber
okay this is just a ruff draft

2 O.clownfish
1 captive bred rainford goby
1 diamond goby
1 or 2 yasha/yellow watchman goby with some type of pistol shrimp
1 white tail bristle tooth tang
1 starry/and or tailspot blenny
1 blue flasher wrasse
1 possum wrasse
1 Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
1 Naoko fairy wrasse
2 yellow/green clown goby
1 coral beauty angelfish
2 bangii cardinal
1 royal gramma
2 neon goby
2 skunk cleaner shrimp

I'm not sure about the wrasses and the coral beauty and the clam(s)
i removed the tang, damsels, and the mcoskers flasher wrasse do you think that would be ok

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 35 gallon sump with a marine pure 8x4 brick and 4oish pounds of rock i plan to add more
i also plan to get a over sized algae scrubber
i don't have a skimmer but i will get one if needed after the scrubber

i removed the tang, damsels, and the mcoskers flasher wrasse do you think that would be ok
Sorry, my experience is too limited to give specific advice on items on your list.
My guess is that removing fish from the list is the right direction to be heading, but I cannot give advice on exactly which fish or how many you should keep on the list.

What I do know is that I am planning for a heavy bio-load due to my preference for fish, my system will have 150-180 gallons of total volume, and my fish list is not as large as even your modified list (though a few fish on my list are larger, and most of your choices seem to be smaller fish).

Also, you will need to watch out for possible aggression between similar fish. I have not checked your specified wrasses or gobies, but it may be a bad idea to include so many multiples of either category. They may be different enough to not generally be aggressive, but they may become aggressive in more limited space, especially if they compete for the same food. A 75-gallon tank is fairly large for the average reef, but not truly a large system with plenty of space when considering heavy stocking.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you should add the fish slowly over time (definitely not all at once) and the order you add them may have significant impact on aggression. The recommendations I have read in research indicate that the best way to determine your stock limits is to keep watching water parameters and fish condition/aggression as you slowly add your fish. You will know you have reached the limit when water parameters cannot be maintained, aggression increases, or fish start to get sick. What you do not want to do is reach a limit that stresses all of the fish and brings on disease that kills many or all of the fish. Be careful you do not introduce disease with each fish you add.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...and recommendations seem to indicate that you should wait for the mandarins until the tank is established (1 year or more) and has a healthy population of copepods for food (probably aided by the inclusion of a refugium for copepod production).

OP
OP
Lemon

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 O.clownfish
1 diamond goby
1 or 2 yellow watchman goby with some type of pistol shrimp
1 blue flasher wrasse
1 possum wrasse
1 Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
1 Naoko fairy wrasse
1 coral beauty angelfish
1 royal gramma
2 skunk cleaner shrimp

i removed the neon gobys and the bangii pair

OP
OP
Lemon

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad what do you think

2 O.clownfish
1 diamond goby
1 blue flasher wrasse
1 possum wrasse
1 Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
1 Naoko fairy wrasse
1 coral beauty angelfish
1 royal gramma
2 skunk cleaner shrimp
maybe different types of sessile worms

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad what do you think

2 O.clownfish
1 diamond goby
1 blue flasher wrasse
1 possum wrasse
1 Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
1 Naoko fairy wrasse
1 coral beauty angelfish
1 royal gramma
2 skunk cleaner shrimp
maybe different types of sessile worms
That’s a lot of fish for 75/G. Make sure you have some good nutrient export methods. Good skimmer, ATS, water change regimen, refugium, etc...

Best of luck!

OP
OP
Lemon

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay thanks would i need a good skimmer if i had a clam "garden"
That’s a lot of fish for 75/G. Make sure you have some good nutrient export methods. Good skimmer, ATS, water change regimen, refugium, etc...

Best of luck!
also i don't really care to much about there being some algae or keeping sps

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Clams uptake a lot of nutrients and calcium, but I’d still run good nutrient export methods until you feel like you may not need them.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just be careful because once algae takes hold...most of the time it’s very difficult to eradicate. However, we do have Fluconazole now, but using natural methods is always recommended. Fluconazole can struggle with algae that’s under the rocks out of the light source. Sometimes multiple treatments are needed to completely rid it from a system. Lastly, Fluconazole can have an impact on phosphate levels. It’s been documented a few times that STN/RTN occurred with Acro’s after the Fluconazole was added. I find this to be in mostly lower nutrient systems.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
Lemon

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be careful because once algae takes hold...most of the time it’s very difficult to eradicate. However, we do have Fluconazole now, but using natural methods is always recommended. Fluconazole can struggle with algae that’s under the rocks out of the light source. Sometimes multiple treatments are needed to completely rid it from a system. Lastly, Fluconazole can have an impact on phosphate levels. It’s been documented a few times that STN/RTN occurred with Acro’s after the Fluconazole was added. I find this to be in mostly lower nutrient systems.

Hope this helps!
I'm not worried about rtn/stn with acros because like i said i don't like sps I've seen sps tank and i was bored with the amount of fish

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not worried about rtn/stn with acros because like i said i don't like sps I've seen sps tank and i was bored with the amount of fish
You can have all the fish you like, but you just have to know how to export the excess nutrients.

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many fish for that size tank IMHO. Otherwise expect issues between the bristletooth tang and your starry/tailspot. They are direct food competitors and if they dont get along well the tang will be relentless and the blenny will end up dead. Way too many wrasses for a mandarin let alone two, only hope here would be captive raised that will survive almost entirely on prepared food, the possum wrasse will be especially hard on the pods and watch for aggression from the exquisite and possibly naoko, not completely sure on the latter but you should probably check.

OP
OP
Lemon

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many fish for that size tank IMHO. Otherwise expect issues between the bristletooth tang and your starry/tailspot. They are direct food competitors and if they dont get along well the tang will be relentless and the blenny will end up dead. Way too many wrasses for a mandarin let alone two, only hope here would be captive raised that will survive almost entirely on prepared food, the possum wrasse will be especially hard on the pods and watch for aggression from the exquisite and possibly naoko, not completely sure on the latter but you should probably check.
ok i will drop the exquisite wrasse, do you have a recommendation for a tang replacement? my understanding is the only wrasse on the list that will compete with the mandarin is the possum wrasse also I'm setting up my system with the weird stuff in mind like pods worms and non harmful hitchhikers so basically large refugium and smaller mechanic filters.

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check on the Naoko as well, it is my understanding they can be quite aggressive so just make an informed decision based on your own research. As for the tang probably a yellow tang or other smallish zebrasoma. Most people will disagree with this but I feel it will be fine. You will likely ditch the mechanical filtration as it is not pod friendly.

OP
OP
Lemon

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check on the Naoko as well, it is my understanding they can be quite aggressive so just make an informed decision based on your own research. As for the tang probably a yellow tang or other smallish zebrasoma. Most people will disagree with this but I feel it will be fine. You will likely ditch the mechanical filtration as it is not pod friendly.
do you mean the naoko will be aggressive with everything or just the wrasses? okay so I've seen yellow tangs and they are kinda big so not sure about maybe i just won't get a tang.

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other wrasses and some similar fish as well. this would possibly include the Rainfords goby and Royal Gramma. In extreme cases with everything. One thing with fish is there is no hard and fast rule, just like people they have different temperaments and can be quite different from what is expected. I'm not trying to steer you away, just to be well advised and above all be ready to remove the offender if there is a problem with aggression.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 159 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.2%
Back