8 months in

I'm salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, super excited about reef2reef so much good info and so little time lol. I've got a 75 gallon aquarium with a 20 gallon sump. Been in the hobby about 9 months, I've got some zoa's a torch some hammers a bubble coral and some mushrooms. How long have you all been in the hobby what's the one thing you know now that you wish you knew when you're still under a year in

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, super excited about reef2reef so much good info and so little time lol. I've got a 75 gallon aquarium with a 20 gallon sump. Been in the hobby about 9 months, I've got some zoa's a torch some hammers a bubble coral and some mushrooms. How long have you all been in the hobby what's the one thing you know now that you wish you knew when you're still under a year in

Welcome! Took a 15 year break, and back for 1 and a half years. I now know patience and doing it right the first time really does pay off.

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

SeriousBothBronco-size_restricted.gif

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Reef. I'm similar to you a little over a year and still learning a ton. I think the biggest thing I've learned is when dealing with a something you need to fix the issue not to symptoms. For example with algae. There are ways to get rid of algae, but if you don't fix what is causing the algae in the first place it will keep coming back.

I also learned this meme is accurate.
889c83acd56e96f8cc8f5d697a3e7c96.jpg

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

giphy.gif

Welcome to R2R! I'm still on my first reef tank which has been running for a little over 18 months now so I'm still learning everyday, but if there's one piece of advice I could give you it's don't overreact. I tended to freak out about any slight change in my corals' appearance for the first 6 to 8 months. If a zoa or acan was closed up, I'd immediately assume the worst and starting thinking I needed to do something. However, I soon learned that (at least in my tank) corals go through phases and will have days where they don't look as happy as normal. After a few days to a week they would go back to normal and look happy and healthy again. The only time you really should worry and take action is if all of your corals look unhappy and closed up. Usually that is an indicator of poor water quality or a pollutant in the tank and you should take action. (As a side piece of advice, I recommend keeping extra carbon, polyfilter and fresh saltwater on hand for these cases. Then you can do an emergency water change, add fresh carbon and a polyfilter which should remove most contaminants from your tank.)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back