80/20 As a Tank Stand?

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever use 80/20 as an aquarium stand? Im looking for an easy way to build an aquarium stand that I can take apart and put back together repeatedly and easily yet will hold a 45 gal tank.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a ton on here; just search by "80/20" and you can see some of the builds...

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't know why not. I would make it 2 to 3 inches wider and longer than the length and width of the tank, that way it has a slightly wider base than the tank for stability. A piece of 3/4 inch marine grade plywood on top could be easily mounted with counter sunk bolts to the aluminum frame.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only drawback I've seen is cost. For that size tank you could inexpensively build a wood stand that can be disassembled & re-assembled easily enough.

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only drawback I've seen is cost. For that size tank you could inexpensively build a wood stand that can be disassembled & re-assembled easily enough.
I'm talking like taken apart and set back up like a lot. Wood would ware out at the screw holes.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its great stuff I really looked into it. but in the end it was out of my price range. but man its nice stuff the possibilities are endless.
post pics when you do it.

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah im currently finding out that its quite a lot to do a stand out of this stuff, gonna look into other options

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a 3 ft stand build with the assumption that you can rebuild it to a larger design in the future helps offset cost

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into 8020 for my light mount but decided to go with Tnutz instead because it was too difficult to deal with the 8020 as a company and their distributors. As a side benefit, it turned out to be a lot cheaper so that may be an option for you.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just buy all my 80/20 parts off Amazon they have a store there. Just make up a parts list and get next day air shipping.:)

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80/20 maintains a site on Ebay with all their over-runs, cancelled orders, odd size pieces: http://stores.ebay.com/8020-Inc-Garage-Sale

It's a very good source to pick up material at a reasonable price. Use the category sorting on the left side to make it easier to find what you want.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not if you drill holes in the wood and use bolts, washers and screws instead of wood screws directly into the wood.

Exactly what I was going to come back and suggest! Through bolts, washers & nuts. You could at least get it down to legless platforms easily enough.

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my with 15 series aluminum t slot from TNUTZ. It was a bit intimidating to order each part and fastener and I actually had to purchase all the parts over four online purchases because it’s hard for me to visualize every piece I’ll need- considering I had Add ons like a Refugium stand and light mount and a custom hatch for a water mixing station all made out of aluminum t slot extrusions. All documented in my build thread.

Last edited:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back