80% of Marine Fish die in transport??

TJ Merrells

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we had multiple sources, some came from California, some were very close in the same state, and most others came from Florida.
That's just from coming from the distributor. Think about how many die on the way to California from places like Fiji, Indonesia or Australia

OP
OP
dyno

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a scary thought. It al depends though.

Yesterday I went to my local store and they had gotten an huge amount of fish in. All pristine looking and eating including all butterflies and anthias. I mean it seems like the chain of custody from collecting to all the middle men knew how to bring in a healthy batch. However, many may still perish due to new hobbyists not understanding care and how to deal with disease.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want less death... this means better care and shipping in more water probably which increases expense...to the end user.. and people are cheap. $100 coral nub is fine but gosh no.. that fish cost more?!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really think about it, Atleast we arent “heartlessly” going around and collecting all these fish just to kill them off and eat them. Most of our issue with the oceans isn’t the hobby but instead the food industry.
I mean, sure we have our fair share of deaths in the hobby but much of that is natural. Yes stress isn’t great and can cause something that leads to death but if you think about it, more often than not the fishes death isn’t due to stress but a disease brought on by a weakened fish. I just lost a Pink Streak Wrasse after keeping it alive for a year and one month, am I bad? No, I kept it alive a year longer than someone in the food industry would have. Remember:
We aren’t killing these fish on purpose in fact it’s more than likely that more fish survive in the hobby then they would out in the wild. Bangaii cardinals for example, they thrive in captivity with captive breeding but in the wild their numbers are diminishing due to over fishing and being caught in fishing nets.

I hope this helps someone’s argument as I haven’t really read the whole thread and just skipped most of the wordy arguments (As you do)

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work around the fishing industry in Alaska. If you saw the amount of bycatch from one dragger on one trip you would be in shock. Tens of thousands of pounds of bottom fish, salmon, sharks etc all separated out and taken offshore to dump. All so we can drive through McDonalds and have a fish fillet!

Also, more red king crab is caught by the dragging fleet than is allotted for the king crab fleet. All of this crab is crushed under the hundreds of thousands of pounds of cod/polluck so it is discarded.

If you go to Hawaii there are brute cans full of Achilles tangs for consumption yet I can’t get one for my aquarium…

TimTom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All so we can drive through McDonalds and have a fish fillet!
Or a McPlant. ;-)

I used to keep tropical fish (and went coarse fishing a few times) as a lad but I wouldn't keep them or do that now.

It's just been shown we have lost 70% of species and many could be needed to maintain the balance that has been in place for millions of years before we came along.

Many fish stocks are already depleted / finished and it's suggested we take ~3 Trillion creatures out of the seas every year to eat. This isn't sustainable. ;-(

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extinctions have been a natural part of the planet’s evolutionary history. 99% of the four billion species that have evolved on Earth are now gone. Most species have gone extinct. This is natural and inevitable. There has never been a balance that lasted millions of years. The system is complex and dynamic with constant tradeoffs. This has been going on for some time (even before Man, unless you're a creationist), since the dawn of life on this planet, and is as NATURAL as any process on the planet. It is only Man that is worried about this because mankind views itself as outside of nature. It is not. Nature will always find a new equilibrium, with or without certain species, be it us, or your beloved McPlant sandwich.

Only Man is arrogant enough to view him/herself to be outside of this system believing that we are in control of how this plays out. So keep eating your McPlant and see how that works out for us as a species and the planet as a whole if it makes you feel empowered. In the end, nothing is sustainable due to the third law of thermal dynamics. You can keep things going a little longer, a little farther, but this will ultimately require more energy and more resources from within this closed system, only accelerating its own demise. So make sure you allocate those scarce resources properly and make sure that you are omnipotent and have perfect information. Hopefully without starving a quarter or more of the population of the earth in the process in the name of sustainability.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back