OP
Goodair

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Panther, Volitan and Fox died, not far after the tusk dying. Fox broke out in ich, I slowly dropped the salinity and it went away. He got an infection after and died. Infection spread to the other two. I tried to treat them but was probally a bad idea. Marine beta looked unaffected the whole time, still seems fine. Would of figured he would be the least hardy of them all.

It's been a bummer and can only guess what was the cause. Might of been a mix of causes. Keeping a close eye on the beta and setting up tank for a hatian anemone. Thinking of adding a snowflake eel and then just waiting some months before adding anything else.

OP
OP
Goodair

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was a month ago, just kinda lost motivation. I feel like if I took the fox out, and left the other 2 in the tank and did a bunch of water changes, they might of been fine. Honestly not so upset about the fox, he hid 24/7 but the lion had a dog like personality. More bummed about him.

I still find it so weird how the beta seems totally fine! He is actually more active now that the panther isnt there to bully the tank lol.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Fox is my least favorite fish— although he is a nice size. Like you said, hides mostly all of the time. But worse than that, he has lost all his nice bright yellow; very muted and drab. Depressing, actually, compared with all the other colorful fish (including a Banner Fish whose yellow is vivid).

OP
OP
Goodair

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JumboShrimp
Went to a lfs and saw 5 small foxefaces, none were hiding. I'm not sure what causes them to be so skittish when they go into our tanks. There are decorations for them to hide behind and a whole mess of other fish with them.

Not sure if I want to do a fox again, I need a grazer but has to be one that can go in with aggressive fish.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched an R2R video of someone's 6 year old tank-- his mature Foxface was beautifully swimming all around, with a gorgeous yellow color that mine hasn't had since month-one. My must definitely have a chronic illness... just not enough to kill him or make any tankmates sick. :confused:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goodair

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hatian Anemone, traded all the excess chaeto I been pulling out for it. Aclimated real fast!

20191011_163353.jpg

OP
OP
Goodair

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to update, got a snowflake eel and a kenya tree few weeks ago and doing good so far.
Since the kenya was doing good, figured the tank was ready for other rypes of corals. Picked up some corals from another tank Saturday. Alot of pests came out during the dips so they will end up in the qt longer than expected.
20191020_155816.jpg

Screenshot_20191023-235834.png

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build, sorry to hear about all the losses. I know how that feels. What’s the betta like personality wise?

OP
OP
Goodair

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We would stare at eachother, and then he would swim backwards towards me when I try to get closer. Believe its a defense behavior to trick other fish that it is white mouth moray. Gorgeous fish and glad he lived lol.

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We would stare at eachother, and then he would swim backwards towards me when I try to get closer. Believe its a defense behavior to trick other fish that it is white mouth moray. Gorgeous fish and glad he lived lol.

I was looking to buy one but got this guy instead. Same family as the marine betta but for some reason not as common in the aquarium trade as the marine betta. Definitely a hardy fish, he’s been through a lot. Are you still looking for a radiata?

80E8E7B0-97C8-4C65-811E-C2EC50B1B3A8.jpeg

OP
OP
Goodair

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read an article that betas are found with antenata lions and pygmy angles. Hopefully I can find a anteneta but an angle will have to be passed since I got corals now.

OP
OP
Goodair

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking to buy one but got this guy instead. Same family as the marine betta but for some reason not as common in the aquarium trade as the marine betta. Definitely a hardy fish, he’s been through a lot. Are you still looking for a radiata?

80E8E7B0-97C8-4C65-811E-C2EC50B1B3A8.jpeg

I remember your post about your grouper getting stung and then looking him up, finding little info on it. Really is a nice fish!

Had 3 shops looking for one since February and no luck for a radiata. I prefer to buy in person and inspect the fish, and since radiatas seem to have such a rough servival rate, it never happened. I do want an anteneta since they are found with betas and see how they behave.

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read an article that betas are found with antenata lions and pygmy angles. Hopefully I can find a anteneta but an angle will have to be passed since I got corals now.

I see you’re in jersey, if you’re up for a ride and looking for an antennata or radiata there’s a store in connecticut that can get them for you. They usually have antennatas in stock but can order radiatas. I know finding them online can be tricky.

OP
OP
Goodair

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you’re in jersey, if you’re up for a ride and looking for an antennata or radiata there’s a store in connecticut that can get them for you. They usually have antennatas in stock but can order radiatas. I know finding them online can be tricky.
Ha maybe one day, I go up north for snowboarding sometimes and could always stop by on the way back.

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha maybe one day, I go up north for snowboarding sometimes and could always stop by on the way back.

Well let me know if you’re interested. They are very expensive though. At least double online :/ I don’t really mind though since I’ve always gotten really healthy fish from them

OP
OP
Goodair

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well let me know if you’re interested. They are very expensive though. At least double online :/ I don’t really mind though since I’ve always gotten really healthy fish from them
Could imagine it's a risk for them to keep, so the turnaround needs to be worthwhile. Do you know if they treat the lions while at the store?

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could imagine it's a risk for them to keep, so the turnaround needs to be worthwhile. Do you know if they treat the lions while at the store?

I know they run copper through their fish system. Lionfish don’t do well with copper though so I wouldn’t buy a lion that’s been there over a week unless it was in the invert system, if that makes sense

OP
OP
Goodair

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchin I had a while back started to grow its spines back, the pattern on them is really interesting too! This started once corals got added and i been keeping the paramaters higher than I did when it was FOWLR.
20200106_155346.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.6%

Back