90 gallon FOWLR stocking evaluation.

Zenny

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 8, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
4
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a complete beginner to saltwater, but do have some freshwater experience. I'm currently planning a 90 gallon FOWLR setup with the following stocking. All fish will be Biota or ORA captive bred (with the exception of the zebra barred dartfish):

2 pink skunk clowns
1 watchman goby w/ pistol shrimp
1 matted filefish
4 pajama cardinals
1 coral beauty angelfish
1 mandarin dragonette

I plan on introducing some copepods because I've heard that's good for the mandarin, even if it was raised on prepared/frozen foods. I'm also using a thick sand layer to give the watchman and shrimp plenty of burrowing room. Does my list sound reasonable? Anything else I should know about these species?
 
Last edited:
Ignore the part about the dartfish. That was a mistake I forgot to edit out.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
coral beauty angelfish
Coral beauties can be a little aggressive, if you are going stay with a FOWLR this one is a keeper
Mandarins do better in a more established tank, your on track with coper pods. There are a couple of articles here about building feeders for Mandarins.
 
Upvote 0
Mandarins need a well established, mature tank with a lot of rocks to hunt.
Adding copepods on a monthly or even every two weeks will be a necessity to sustain Mandarins long term, even if they eat prepared foods.
Mandarins are very slow eaters and may not get enough prepared foods with fast moving fish in the tank.
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 1 2.1%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new