90 Gallon Phoenix Build

ParadiseReefMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree. happened to me on the previous attempt at this and made a no brainer for the detection system. Have an apex overflow detector for the bottom of the stand. Built in a little lip to the front edge of the stand and will be adding a rubber gasket to it to help as well. I have the luxury of working from home 90% of the time so when the alarm from the apex goes off I should be able to get to it fairly quickly. When traveling out of town I have friends and family on stand by to keep an eye on things.
To add to this, I work in HVAC, and deal with overflow switches a lot. We use them in places where condensation could potentially overflow from an air conditioner or high efficiency furnace and damage home/office space. Most are 24 volt and I imagine could be wiring into some leg of the automation? We typically wore them to the R leg (power) to create a loop and when triggered they kill power to whatever they are wired into- think auto top off, return pump, etc. Just a thought, I’m totally new to all this but low voltage wiring is my jam.

OP
OP
Stlrfan88

Stlrfan88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick weekly update...

Test results this week:
Salinity: 1.025 - No change
Temp: 77.0
PH: 8.05 - Got my apex probe calibrated and running this past week
NH3: 0 - Drop from .2
NO2: .1-Increase from .05
NO3: 10-Increase from 0

I am going to let it run 1 more week (3rd week), test, and then water change to drop NO3. I assume the cycle is about done or at least moving in the right direction.

any thoughts / comments on where I am at are more then appreciated.
Thanks as always

OP
OP
Stlrfan88

Stlrfan88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one other note---I have not done any more ghost feeding since the first week to kick off the cycle. once I had an ammonia reading I stopped feeding. not sure if I should have kept feeding or not.

OP
OP
Stlrfan88

Stlrfan88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Sunday everyone. Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy in these odd times.

Here is the weekly update on my tank:
Week 4
Sal 1.026
Temp 78.8
PH: 8.16
NH3: -0- 2nd week in a row
NO2: -0- 1st week - Last week was .2
NO3: 5 - Last week was 10 - did 10% water change

Still no fish in the tank as of today

So I am going to assume the cycle is complete and on to the next phase -

Next step:
Add 2 Clown Fish + Mr Tims - Hopefully in the next couple days
Bring Skimmer online - Will wait a couple days after adding the Mr Tims
Insert Filter Sock - Will wait a couple days after adding the Mr Tims

I have to say to anyone out there that doesnt follow patience I am living proof.
First tank i didnt do any of this...water, rock, fish, coral all with in 2 months and it was an absolute complete DISASTER and i chased parameters with chemicals and tank tear downs an never felt like i ever got ahead. Not to mention killing everything including my checkbook.

Now, yes it has taken 4 weeks to get through the cycle but everything i have been told here on R2R and some other research via BRS TV has happened EXACTLY as I was told. If it took 8 weeks I would follow it.

Hope this saves the next in-patient reefer.

As always comments and advice welcome.

THANK YOU R2R COMMUNITY

OP
OP
Stlrfan88

Stlrfan88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also been trying to let you know products and equipment I am using as I bring it online.

I got my RODI Booster Pump installed and running this past week.
It is the Aquatech CDP8800

Water pressure prior to install was 37 psi on a good day
Water pressure after install with no adjustments to the pump was 89 psi is right at the outer limit of potential seal issues.

I let it run a few minute to see and I did start to have a drip from the 1st chamber of the RODI unit. Running the BRS 4 stage RODI system.

I did just change all the filters so that could be on me but just to be safe I did dial the pump back to 80 psi and no drip. Looks like I get a drip at 83 psi. will make sure I sealed the cartridge tight after running this batch of RODI.

It does have a fair amount of vibration so you definitely want to mount it to the wall.

Booster Pump runs like an absolute champ so thumbs from me.

There is a BRS TV quick 2 minute video on how to install and adjust the pressure. The only thing I found different was the comment in the video was that you can only adjust the psi down with the allen screw on the top of the pump. by turning the screw to the right you can adjust the psi UP and turning the screw to the left will lower the psi. Maybe I have a newer model then what is in the video put just wanted you to know that the booster pump I have is adjustable BOTH up and down.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back