911!!! SOS!!!

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stuff looks pretty frothy. Start making some new water now the fish are in a safe place and if you have a siphon I would definitely siphon the sand and you might just want to use a cup to scoop all the foam on the top. Don't forget to scrape your glass. Hopefully changing out some water should help a lot. Definitely clean the cannister filter out really well. Not sure what kind of bloom that is.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re my babies I’m having an anxiety attack right now
Just do what you can do for them now and don't worry about it till its a real problem. That means it comes back or something. I bet you'll be able to get everything clean and it will work out fine.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like mulm. Some say " MULM??- What is mulm" ?
It is a bacterial slime which coats the sand bed and other surface areas. Mulm is also a combination of algae, sponges, bacteria, pods, worms, detritus, poop and any thing else that can be propagated or grown in darker or dead zone areas. I realize most people would immediately get out the sponge, razor blade or grenade to remove it but there is a word I like to use to describe those people. . . . slow down !. Mulm is a natural product that you will find in the sea all over the world. Our tanks run on bacteria, algae and a food chain. Bacteria and a food chain are dependent on having a place to reproduce. Mulm is the perfect place. Rocks and glass are flat surfaces that are only two dimensional. Mulm makes these places three dimensional allowing much more space for bacteria and microscopic organisms to grow. It looks aweful but is also harmless because the beneficial bacteria love all of the organic wastes that have accumulated on the concentrated substance.
Admittingly, I remove it as I see it, but there is no great panic. Would I clean some of it up- Yes, and increase water flow to reduce the buildup if desired

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
did you happen to clean the sponge filter?? this is second time this has happened in month or so??

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like mulm. Some say " MULM??- What is mulm" ?
It is a bacterial slime which coats the sand bed and other surface areas. Mulm is also a combination of algae, sponges, bacteria, pods, worms, detritus, poop and any thing else that can be propagated or grown in darker or dead zone areas. I realize most people would immediately get out the sponge, razor blade or grenade to remove it but there is a word I like to use to describe those people. . . . slow down !. Mulm is a natural product that you will find in the sea all over the world. Our tanks run on bacteria, algae and a food chain. Bacteria and a food chain are dependent on having a place to reproduce. Mulm is the perfect place. Rocks and glass are flat surfaces that are only two dimensional. Mulm makes these places three dimensional allowing much more space for bacteria and microscopic organisms to grow. It looks aweful but is also harmless because the beneficial bacteria love all of the organic wastes that have accumulated on the concentrated substance.
Admittingly, I remove it as I see it, but there is no great panic. Would I clean some of it up- Yes, and increase water flow to reduce the buildup if desired

1616951474184.png

I was more concerned about the water than the mulm?

1616951525209.png

It became as green as powerade....

and he said his ammonia and nitrates spiked to high heaven....

Definitely some kind of bacterial bloom. Only reason I said to rehouse the horses for now.

That water seems far from safe.....

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1616951474184.png

1616951525209.png

Definitely some kind of bacterial bloom. Only reason I said to rehouse the horses for now.

Bacterial bloom may very well be. Im reading and typing while at work for a mechanical issue, , , LOL.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1616951474184.png

1616951525209.png

Still related with organics and often begins with the filter(s). I agree with filters , points to the water thereafter.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Also known as bacterial blossom, bacterial bloom is a condition in which a sudden increase in the number of bacterial colonies occurs, specifically bacteria that are suspended in the water column. The bacteria grows so rapidly that collectively they become visible to the naked eye, causing the water to become milky/cloudy/hazy in appearance. This condition most often is seen in a newly started aquarium, but can also occur in a tank in which there is has been an increase in the nutrients in the water, particularly nitrates and phosphates. Excessive feeding of fish without cleaning the debris can also cause a sharp increase in nutrients that results in these blooms .
There are two types of bacteria at work in aquariums:
  • Autotrophic Bacteria: Bacteria capable of synthesizing its own food from inorganic substances, using light or chemical energy. The beneficial bacterias are autotrophs.
  • Heterotrophic Bacteria: Bacteria that cannot synthesize its own food and is dependent on complex organic substances for nutrition. The heterotrophs in the aquariums mineralize the organic waste (break down the uneaten food, fish waste, dead plant matter, etc. into ammonia).​

It is more common that the heterotrophs are seen in bacterial blooms, not the trusted autotroph nitrifiers. It is the heterotrophs which are primarily responsible for creating the "bio-film" (slimy residue found on the tank walls and rocks. As the ammonia production increases due to the increased mineralization, the nitrifiers are slow to catch up and an ammonia spike occurs until the autotrophs reproduce enough to take care of it. Contrary to popular belief, bacterial blooms cause an ammonia spike, not the other way around.
It is unclear whether the autotrophic nitrifiers ever bloom into the water column or if they simply multiply too slowly to cause this effect.
Water changes will play a role as well as filter maintenance.

WHAT FILTER(S) ARE YOU USING ?

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi good to hear still ok, you are running 2 filters now correct,canister and sponge?
replace sponge ,leave can in 10 days clean can ,not both at same time.
do not try to clean sponge filter ,you seen what happened last time..just replace

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're so tough they're hanging in there...should I replace a the filter media?? What about all the good bacteria won't the tank have to cycle all oved??
Fishguy has more experience than I do, I would take his word for it. If you have liverock I think you will be ok

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back