93 Cube for under a grand. It can be done... I think. UPDATED GRAND TOTAL! :)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know me, always learning new stuff.

If I can sneak in the cost of a new powder gun before the wedding without the Sheriff knowing...

:)

Perfecto! (That's some other language for great or somethin'!)

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered a mix of 30 snails from Aquarium Depot.

Always good stuff from them.

This should knock out the diatoms really quickly.

I also added GSP to the order since they had it for $1.99 again.

I usually miss it when it's on sale.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should knock out the diatoms really quickly.
Why are you trying to knock them out? I'm of the philosophy that I want the extra silicates that drive diatom growth to be consumed as quickly as possible. Get the bloom over quick instead of having it dragged out.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the way I have always done.

It has served me well and it always seems like the coralline kicks in faster on the rocks this way.

Plus, I don't use a huge CUC. I believe in a balance to keep it alive over the long term. (well snails don't live a long time to begin with)

I notice a lot of folks will get a very large population of cleaners and they die off from starvation.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the way I have always done.

It has served me well and it always seems like the coralline kicks in faster on the rocks this way.

Plus, I don't use a huge CUC. I believe in a balance to keep it alive over the long term. (well snails don't live a long time to begin with)

I notice a lot of folks will get a very large population of cleaners and they die off from starvation.
I think I always do the opposite, two small of one afraid to add too many. I’ve got maybe 8 turbos, 4 asteria (spelled wrong I’m sure), and maybe 4 hermits, oh and a sea cucumber.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In non-reef related news (but still fish) I am rescuing a few butterfly koi today. Been missing having them. I have a couple koi in my pond and some fancy goldfish but, I have been missing butterfly's. So beautiful!

butterflyKoi.jpg

That's a poster I downloaded just to show you what they look like.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap! I just looked at the countdown timer. 51 days until the wedding!

I have to cook enough food for 90 people, finish building the food trays and cake stand (rustic barnwood) and build the wedding arch. I also have to finish setting up the photo booth software and laptop for it.

The boys and I have to get shoes (gray Chucks) and ties and new dress shirts. (we already took care of suit pants and suspenders)

OK, I think I need a valium. LOL!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In non-reef related news (but still fish) I am rescuing a few butterfly koi today. Been missing having them. I have a couple koi in my pond and some fancy goldfish but, I have been missing butterfly's. So beautiful!

butterflyKoi.jpg

That's a poster I downloaded just to show you what they look like.

Did you say, "Butterfly?"

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have to cook enough food for 90 people, finish building the food trays and cake stand (rustic barnwood) and build the wedding arch. I also have to finish setting up the photo booth software and laptop for it.

The boys and I have to get shoes (gray Chucks) and ties and new dress shirts. (we already took care of suit pants and suspenders)

If I lived closer, I'd be giving you a hand. Really, I would.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I do product testing when I get offers to do so.

In return I work out the kinks in the manuals (if it even has one) and write my recommendation/review of the equipment.

Here is the review of a water change/ATO unit that I just worked on. (This one wasn't an official one. They couldn't figure out how to use it and offered it to me to figure out. The manual was less than useless)

This consists of two micro pumps (70gph), a sensor/control panel (the dang bezel was upside down! I think this led to not being able to figure it out.) and a remote optical sensor for low water shutoff, hose for input and output and hose clamps to attach to the rim of the sump or aquarium.

So I got it working.

It's ok. As an ATO it works very well. It tops off about 6oz. at a time on my system. So it should keep salinity rock solid. (My DIY unit does about 8oz at a time)

As a water changer, meh. It's manual. You have to stand right there with it basically and still tote buckets. The one cool thing it does is shut off the ATO while you are doing the water change. Basically, you hit a button, it shuts off the ATO and then it pumps out water to the low sensor, then pumps new water back in to the full sensor and then turns the ATO back on. This whole process takes about 8 minutes or so. In my tank the most I could get it to change was about 3 gallons because you have to have it in your return chamber for it to work correctly. If you had a larger return section, then this would be fine. I have contemplated combining my fuge and return section via drilling holes since I don't use the fuge section for anything right now. It would almost double the water change volume if I did.

I could see where this would be useful if you had a nano tank and a drain handy so you only had to tote one bucket.

The problem with leaving it hooked up is, you can't just use it as an ATO. if you unplug the second pump, an alarm goes off. I guess you could just leave the pump hooked up and hide it because it doesn't run unless you tell it to.

I think this product has it's uses but, for me, I wouldn't carry it, it's a very niche product.

The company who made this does have an automatic version of it that I would very much like to try. Until then, my search for cool new gadgets continues...

I will take pics if anyone is interested but, I wonder if this thing will ever even hit the market. It's not even available on Alibaba. And, you can get everything on Alibaba. LOL!

If you all want to see something tested or are having trouble figuring out a new product, drop me a line. I will try to get a manufacturer to send me one for testing/review.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I lived closer, I'd be giving you a hand. Really, I would.

I know bud. I will get it done. Just freaking out for a second. I am nearly 51 and getting married... AGAIN!

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Much respect for chucks at a wedding, I like it. I cooked at our wedding as well, but backyard bbq style. Borrowed a big trailer mounted pit, and fired it up just before the ceremony. Afterward just went got to cooking, it was a lot of fun. I'm with @crusso1993, If I wasn't a 12 hour drive away I'd come lend a hand.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much respect for chucks at a wedding, I like it. I cooked at our wedding as well, but backyard bbq style. Borrowed a big trailer mounted pit, and fired it up just before the ceremony. Afterward just went got to cooking, it was a lot of fun. I'm with @crusso1993, If I wasn't a 12 hour drive away I'd come lend a hand.

If you did come you would have to bring brisket. LOL!

We are doing spring food. Chicken and pasta salad, fruit and veggie trays and relish trays. So not a ton of cooking but any cooking for 90 is a bunch. The original plan was for prime rib but we ruled it out after the stroke. I cold still do it but something about me taking it easy and not being a spring chicken, blah, blah, blah.... ;)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You're 12 hours West and I'm 12 hours North. I guess together we're Northwest...

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clean up crew and parts for my acrylic topoff are out for delivery!

Gonna be a busy fish weekend.

I have to acclimate the CUC, build the reservoir, rescue the rest of the koi and finish of 12gallonsofhex retro light retrofit.

I also have to squeeze in some wedding woodworking in between rain drops.

I would love to be able to paint the canopy and doors but the humidity would just kill it.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clean up crew and parts for my acrylic topoff are out for delivery!

Gonna be a busy fish weekend.

I have to acclimate the CUC, build the reservoir, rescue the rest of the koi and finish of 12gallonsofhex retro light retrofit.

I also have to squeeze in some wedding woodworking in between rain drops.

I would love to be able to paint the canopy and doors but the humidity would just kill it.

Sounds like a fun-packed weekend!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a fun-packed weekend!

You are invited down to join in the fun.

It's only 11 hours start driving now and I will have a late dinner ready for you.

I am SURE Sherry won't mind if you just showed up.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are invited down to join in the fun.

It's only 11 hours start driving now and I will have a late dinner ready for you.

I am SURE Sherry won't mind if you just showed up.

Dude... I would possibly take you up on that offer. However, I am sure Katherine would mind if I left while she's still sick. I could offer to bring her with but, well, pneumonia is a little serious. Plus she cancelled her patients for today and I'm playing doctor! ;)

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back