OP
OP
BPiers

BPiers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! Its starting to have a bit of a hair algae bloom so I dropped in 30 hermits and a small Tomini Tang.
I started moving some livestock from the 200g over... mainly chalices and a few SPS: birdsnest, acroporas, montiporas. Everything doing great!

WIN_20160124_165323.JPG

OP
OP
BPiers

BPiers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up two IP Cameras that are fed into Apex Fusion. With this, I'm able to monitor the tank and the skimmer while away! Love it!
Things are dialed in now, skimmer performs great, CaRx has constant pH and drip rate, and I'm starting to see specks of coralline on the rocks and glass

Richard Schmidt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size CO2 tank is that?
I bought a (marineland) 93 cube with their stand, and am going to have to modify the stand for the CO2 tank that feeds my calcium reactor.
Just wondering how much height you added to the stand.
I'm going to build a custom stand but wondered how much taller I should make the stand to hold the smallest commercially available CO2 tank.
Just wondering.
Rick

OP
OP
BPiers

BPiers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 5 pound cylinder.
Here was my process since I've owned two marineland tanks with these stands. The first one I raised up on a pedestal. This was great for viewing, but did nothing for the interior dimensions of the stand. Lesson learned.
This tank, I used a router with a plunge bit and basically removed 95% of the top part of the stand. Then I added hardwood 2x2's all the way around, glued and clamped 3 high. Finally I added another piece of 3/4 hardwood plywood back on top (to replace what I cut out earlier), added some chair rail and baseboard trim to cover the 2x2's and painted the stand with my compressor and some oil rubbed bronze paint. Couldn't be happier.
The tank is high enough now, and I have lots of room in the stand!

OP
OP
BPiers

BPiers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, so just for clarification....the 5 pounder fits with tons of room without any stand mods. Even the 180i skimmer fits...but the added room I made was worth it!

NY_Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOOKS GREAT! how do you like that calcium reactor. thinking of trying one out of for the first time and have my eyes set on that one.. Also i need to know your tricks to keeping that PBT healthy!

OP
OP
BPiers

BPiers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Calcium reactor was a good purchase for me..I'm very happy with it so far. Easy to set up, and I got a good deal on it on Black Friday :)
I've used a dosing pump before for 3 part, but the SPS and tank size that was on was a real chore keeping up with the chemicals.
With this, its set and forget. I have it fed off my main pump with a gate valve with a push to connect fitting and the needle valve it comes with is great.
I'm a big believer in picking a brand and sticking with it.

Richard Schmidt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't no anything about their 180i skimmer (will investigate now).
How much height does it need to remove the skimmer cup for cleaning? Your cup seems to be very close to the top of underside of the stand.
Planning on buying their Ca reactor, just wondered about hassles of getting their skimmer cup out for cleaning.
Thanks for all the input.
Rick

Last edited:
OP
OP
BPiers

BPiers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It barely fits without modifications to the stand, as I've outlined.
I think the removal of the skimmer cup is more of a function of the height of your sump. On my other tank that I didn't modify the internal dimensions of the stand on, the sump didn't allow removal of the skimmer cup...a real pain!
This time around, I made sure everything worked!

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean install! I wasn't going to say anything, but then I saw you added the cabinet for all of the controller equipment. I like that much better! My 27 gallon cube is my first go around on the reef so, with the lack of space I sure am looking forward to a larger build one day with more space! You've used your space wisely!

marissas47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the powder blue in there? I'm downsizing and was planning on getting rid of my tangs but my powder brown is the smallest of 3 and if it's possible to keep him in the 93 I'm setting up this weekend for a while I'd love to hang onto him

OP
OP
BPiers

BPiers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@marissas47 my Powder Blue is pretty big...4.5"+ and happy!! She was in my 200g DD tank and I was concerned when I moved her into a smaller tank but she hasn't shown any issues and eats like a pig!!
Thanks for the kind words on the cabinet idea I had! Looking back at my original idea ....sheesh, what was I thinking LOL :)

OP
OP
BPiers

BPiers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to add a new FTS, but as an update the tank is running ON POINT!!!! Growth is very predictable and very steady! No losses since I set the tank up.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back