OP
OP
noahreefer

noahreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank dimensions! You mention going to get water for it.... if that is the case you are far better off buying an rodi set up as you will use it for years to come and is VERY important to use as top off water. My 150gal needs about a gallon a day and in winter 1.5gallons a day. For such a long tank you may want to look into the xf280 gyres .. a lot of money but you need something strong to reach that long of a tank

Yeah we’re definitely going to need to start making our own water within the coming months. For now I think we’re just gonna get the tank filled with water and aquascape it and then plan out which rodi setup to get. Doesn’t BRS have a good one?

OP
OP
noahreefer

noahreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. it makes the freshwater. Mix in a good salt mix to make the aquarium water. This is most likely done for you at the lfs if you get saltwater there

Ok that makes sense thanks. I’ve never researched/attempted to make my own water.

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the 150 GPD RODI from BRS. You’ll need to make your own water for water changes and it will save you the cash in the long run.

I am looking to get a tank just like yours!!! Take it slow but post pics every step of the way!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

First off congrats on this simply stunning and amazing accomplishment. I have some concerns if your tank is 84x24x24, it’s longer than most 210,220, and my 240. I also noticed that you only have one corner over flow. I’m not sure if I’m not seeing the other one, but if you only have one, you will need a pretty good sized return pump. Not to mention you will need a lot more power heads on the side that doesn’t have an overflow to keep your flow going. I’m super proud of you for this huge accomplishment, but I would really plan this before you fill it with water. Larger tanks take some time to actually plan, and like others it’s much more expensive. Another concern is the length of your tank is 84 inches long. This means you will need more lights because you will have shadowing do to the length. There is no way three ai primes can handle an 8 foot tank. You would need min four ai hydra 5200 or 8 hydra 26, or 16 ai primes.

In addition before you fill this with water I wouldn’t use salt water to start out with. I would at least leak test it first, I’d hate for you to lose all that money in salt water. Generally it’s s 1 pound of rock or sand per gallon, which means your water volume displacement will change.

I have no doubt in your motivation and skills, but when I went from a 125 to a 240 it was overwhelming. I had been already in this hobby for 2 years, and it was crazy on how much research I ended up doing. Going from a 50 to a 210 gallons which is what it comes out to be with your numbers, is three times the size.

As you know nothing happens fast in this hobby, I would take your time and really figure out what you want. You don’t want to just fill it with water and hope it works. From your posts it says you want an sps dominant tank. These tanks need extreme amounts of flow. For an example my tank is a 240, I have four current 2100 gph wave makers and two 3100 gph current dc return pumps. I still don’t really have enough flow for a pure sps dominant tank. Your tank is not much smaller than mine gallon size, but it’s 2 feet longer than mine. You will have figure out the best way to achieve your optimal flow.

Please feel free to ask me any questions, and of course any of us. I highly suggest you tap the breaks a tad on this, only because my new tank is barely 7 months old. I planned for almost 7 months lol (yes I was slow I will agree), but even now, I am finding things that well, were not such a great idea. Do you know the history of this tank, since it was used? I would hate for you to accidentally flood your house, like I almost did.

But for the most part lol congrats, truly amazing what you have accomplished. Your parents should be very proud of you:)

Sincerely
Sarah

OP
OP
noahreefer

noahreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

First off congrats on this simply stunning and amazing accomplishment. I have some concerns if your tank is 84x24x24, it’s longer than most 210,220, and my 240. I also noticed that you only have one corner over flow. I’m not sure if I’m not seeing the other one, but if you only have one, you will need a pretty good sized return pump. Not to mention you will need a lot more power heads on the side that doesn’t have an overflow to keep your flow going. I’m super proud of you for this huge accomplishment, but I would really plan this before you fill it with water. Larger tanks take some time to actually plan, and like others it’s much more expensive. Another concern is the length of your tank is 84 inches long. This means you will need more lights because you will have shadowing do to the length. There is no way three ai primes can handle an 8 foot tank. You would need min four ai hydra 5200 or 8 hydra 26, or 16 ai primes.

In addition before you fill this with water I wouldn’t use salt water to start out with. I would at least leak test it first, I’d hate for you to lose all that money in salt water. Generally it’s s 1 pound of rock or sand per gallon, which means your water volume displacement will change.

I have no doubt in your motivation and skills, but when I went from a 125 to a 240 it was overwhelming. I had been already in this hobby for 2 years, and it was crazy on how much research I ended up doing. Going from a 50 to a 210 gallons which is what it comes out to be with your numbers, is three times the size.

As you know nothing happens fast in this hobby, I would take your time and really figure out what you want. You don’t want to just fill it with water and hope it works. From your posts it says you want an sps dominant tank. These tanks need extreme amounts of flow. For an example my tank is a 240, I have four current 2100 gph wave makers and two 3100 gph current dc return pumps. I still don’t really have enough flow for a pure sps dominant tank. Your tank is not much smaller than mine gallon size, but it’s 2 feet longer than mine. You will have figure out the best way to achieve your optimal flow.

Please feel free to ask me any questions, and of course any of us. I highly suggest you tap the breaks a tad on this, only because my new tank is barely 7 months old. I planned for almost 7 months lol (yes I was slow I will agree), but even now, I am finding things that well, were not such a great idea. Do you know the history of this tank, since it was used? I would hate for you to accidentally flood your house, like I almost did.

But for the most part lol congrats, truly amazing what you have accomplished. Your parents should be very proud of you:)

Sincerely
Sarah

Thanks it means a lot!

Yes I have severely underestimated some aspects of the lighting and flow requirements. I didnt think this tank would require this much much lighting as I have only been dealing with tank under 100 gallons. The tank is still sitting with nothing in it currently. The tank is brand new and yes the tank only has one corner overflow but I plan to get a big return pump. Even though I have been in the hobby for four years but just starting to dwell in the large tank category I’m still scratching my head thinking: dang that really costs that much?? Lol

OP
OP
noahreefer

noahreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have considered my options and I wanted to know if this would work. My aquascape would be something along the lines of having to big formations on either side of the tank leaving a space in the middle. As I do not have the full amount of money needed to purchase everything my plan for the lights is to start with two ai hydra TwentySix’s and one ai hydra in the middle. This would be just a starter light combo until I get enough money to add more. Would this be fine for now if I only have a few montis, some birdsnest and some softies(shrooms and MAYBE some euphillias) that will be going in the tank that will occupy the lower part of the tank

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 210/220 72"x24"x30". I read and planned the build for a year then took 6 months to set it up before ever putting water in it. As everyone else has said its awesome that someone your age is taking on a task this large and committed to the hobby. But also as most have said you will be much better off slowing down and taking a step back. Just because the tank is new doesn't mean you dont have to water test it. That's always good practice, better to find out now rather than later.

Plan out your equipment, plumbing, scaping and flow now before there's water in it. Changing things up in a month or two will be a lot harder once its filled with saltwater. And yes, one corner flow is going to need a lot of flow not only in the whole tank but pointed at it to be able to filter well. There's just not a lot of surface area for the water to drain down. So everything has to stay in suspension to go down to the sump or it will settle on the bottom and rot. Which in turn means more work to vacuum more frequently. You may want to think about putting in a large ghost style overflow and use the holes in the corner to run return lines.

Plan your work and work your plan. Getting this stuff done now will save you headaches and heartaches later. Another thing to do is seek out help from local reefers with large systems. Most of us with larger systems are happy to share advice on what works, what doesn't and what we've learned along the way. I'm sure that holds true for most in this hobby too.

Wanna know the very 1st thing I bought when picking my equipment? A good RODI unit. It all starts with good water. We don't keep fish, coral, shrimp, or whatever else is alive in our systems. We keep water, in a very specific range of parameters. Everything thing else lives in that water. Also, if you try and fill that tank with water from a lfs it going to take 45 or so 5 gallon jugs when you include the sump and plumbing. How many trips back and forth is that, moving them at 45 pounds a piece?

I'm not trying to discourage you but hoping to help you understand the magnitude of the project. There's plenty of used equipment out there too. That can help save a good deal. Hell I have an RODI unit I could sell you for a good deal. It'd at least help get you started on that front.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions I'm more than happy to help.

OP
OP
noahreefer

noahreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 210/220 72"x24"x30". I read and planned the build for a year then took 6 months to set it up before ever putting water in it. As everyone else has said its awesome that someone your age is taking on a task this large and committed to the hobby. But also as most have said you will be much better off slowing down and taking a step back. Just because the tank is new doesn't mean you dont have to water test it. That's always good practice, better to find out now rather than later.

Plan out your equipment, plumbing, scaping and flow now before there's water in it. Changing things up in a month or two will be a lot harder once its filled with saltwater. And yes, one corner flow is going to need a lot of flow not only in the whole tank but pointed at it to be able to filter well. There's just not a lot of surface area for the water to drain down. So everything has to stay in suspension to go down to the sump or it will settle on the bottom and rot. Which in turn means more work to vacuum more frequently. You may want to think about putting in a large ghost style overflow and use the holes in the corner to run return lines.

Plan your work and work your plan. Getting this stuff done now will save you headaches and heartaches later. Another thing to do is seek out help from local reefers with large systems. Most of us with larger systems are happy to share advice on what works, what doesn't and what we've learned along the way. I'm sure that holds true for most in this hobby too.

Wanna know the very 1st thing I bought when picking my equipment? A good RODI unit. It all starts with good water. We don't keep fish, coral, shrimp, or whatever else is alive in our systems. We keep water, in a very specific range of parameters. Everything thing else lives in that water. Also, if you try and fill that tank with water from a lfs it going to take 45 or so 5 gallon jugs when you include the sump and plumbing. How many trips back and forth is that, moving them at 45 pounds a piece?

I'm not trying to discourage you but hoping to help you understand the magnitude of the project. There's plenty of used equipment out there too. That can help save a good deal. Hell I have an RODI unit I could sell you for a good deal. It'd at least help get you started on that front.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions I'm more than happy to help.

Your right I need to slow down. I’m just WAY to excited and I know I need to chill. A ghost overflow sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the insight. I might hit you up on that rodi system because I have been looking out for some deals.

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your right I need to slow down. I’m just WAY to excited and I know I need to chill. A ghost overflow sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the insight. I might hit you up on that rodi system because I have been looking out for some deals.
I know how it is. When I was your age I'd have been chomping at the bit to get things going yesterday. That's just not how this hobby works. R/C hobbies is another story. Especially now a days where you can buy a drone and be flying an hour or two after getting it. With aquatics going fast means killing the things you're trying to keep and spending more money than you need or want to. Many of the fish you can keep live more years than you're age. Think about that for a second. What is a few more months now doing it right compared to many years of keeping a prized fish? Doing it wrong and that same fish will be lucky to make it the few extra months you can take now.

Oh, another thing. With big systems QT'ing is even more important. One for fish and one for coral. Read up on how long a tank has to be fallow (no fish in it) with velvet or ich. Or how AEFW can wipe out those beautiful acros you want to keep. The best advice I've got is to read, read, read. Then read some more.

OP
OP
noahreefer

noahreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how it is. When I was your age I'd have been chomping at the bit to get things going yesterday. That's just not how this hobby works. R/C hobbies is another story. Especially now a days where you can buy a drone and be flying an hour or two after getting it. With aquatics going fast means killing the things you're trying to keep and spending more money than you need or want to. Many of the fish you can keep live more years than you're age. Think about that for a second. What is a few more months now doing it right compared to many years of keeping a prized fish? Doing it wrong and that same fish will be lucky to make it the few extra months you can take now.

Oh, another thing. With big systems QT'ing is even more important. One for fish and one for coral. Read up on how long a tank has to be fallow (no fish in it) with velvet or ich. Or how AEFW can wipe out those beautiful acros you want to keep. The best advice I've got is to read, read, read. Then read some more.

Yep completely agree. Do u think my light plan would be a viable option?

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Honestly, to be fair, I don’t think your light plan is even close. I run current orbit marine pros on my tank, (not the ic loop ones). Now I know what most will say you need ai or Ecotech. You can get a lot further, if you do research on your lights then just thinking they are good. What lights do you have now for example.

For example what you will pay for these ai lights, you can get other lights that work equal to or better. Here are some pics or my 240 with current orbit marine pros. These have 60 degree lens so I had to find the sin/cos and also the FWHM. I attached the equation below just in case.

Before I bought anything I did tons of research and beta tested a lot of products by volunteering at my local aquarium.

55D86DCE-B655-4E0C-8FB7-172BD886E552.jpeg

042921E3-A350-48E0-B5E7-25E70E1150AE.jpeg

15BA9792-992A-4A49-9CB1-8C09C78EFED6.jpeg

1240D528-71AA-4B11-A294-9AFF1844981C.jpeg

BA16A72E-9F95-4071-9FA2-0320FD45D94F.jpeg

6DAF7475-BF04-4E86-B6BD-CCCAE210208E.jpeg

2D9A07BB-1397-4C84-B840-0BA61E590F3B.png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back