A BAT died and decomposed in my tank for 4 days

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kid you not, can't make this stuff up. Had a 2 bat fiasco in my house 4 days ago. Got the first one to fly out the front door but after hours of searching couldn't find the second.. until just now. It was floating in a back chamber of my 50 gal Waterbox AIO. Which means it died and decomposed for 4 entire days in my water. It smelled rancid but appeared to still be intact for the most part. Coincidentally I just setup a small UV sterilizer in that very same chamber earlier today. What do I even do? A huge water change? Do I need to worry about rabies virus in the water? Has anyone ever seen a clownfish with rabies??
I think they all do

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kid you not, can't make this stuff up. Had a 2 bat fiasco in my house 4 days ago. Got the first one to fly out the front door but after hours of searching couldn't find the second.. until just now. It was floating in a back chamber of my 50 gal Waterbox AIO. Which means it died and decomposed for 4 entire days in my water. It smelled rancid but appeared to still be intact for the most part. Coincidentally I just setup a small UV sterilizer in that very same chamber earlier today. What do I even do? A huge water change? Do I need to worry about rabies virus in the water? Has anyone ever seen a clownfish with rabies??
Rabies only effects animals that nurse from their mothers, have hair, you know mammals. Having bats in the home is a risk. I would find out how they got into your home in the first place and make sure it does not happen again. The next bat you find might be in your bed.

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now for your water fear. Here are the real facts, " It is destroyed within a few minutes at temperatures greater than 122°F, and survives no more than a few hours at room temperature."

Driftdiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it makes you feel any better….[This occurred when I was 9.]

For a few days I had been unable to find a large newt in my bedroom tank. Since the tank contained known jumpers, as well as the newt, I had the system locked down with the only opening being where the return passed through the shielding. The tank being locked down plus the amount of hiding spots where the newt could be hiding had me less concerned about its health.

As I sat reading across from my tank, I thought I saw my newt up near the back wall. I happily yelled for my mom to come in, so I could prove the newt had not died or escaped, but my joy turned to horror as I lifted the lid. What I thought was the newt from across the room turned out to be my parakeet floating lifeless in the tank.

From what we could determine, my parakeet landed on the shielding next to the opening for the return. We think he was trying to get a drink from the tank but he managed to somehow fall through the opening and drowned. Still not sure how he got out of his cage but he clearly had been dead for a while.

I would have preferred it be a bat.

56longroof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I grew up in a old farm house in the middle of no where. We've had them get in our house before. Alot of excitement for sure but,less than 1% of bats carry rabies so I wouldn't worry about that. What to do about your tank has been covered so I think your golden.

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once found a little bat at the end of my bed. I wrapped him up in a towel and took him outside. He got in through the fireplace and the flue wasn’t shut.

I don’t think it’s related, but I hate being in the sun and I haven’t aged since. Although, I do seem to have fewer and fewer friends…

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back