A BAT died and decomposed in my tank for 4 days

Renmarie93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kid you not, can't make this stuff up. Had a 2 bat fiasco in my house 4 days ago. Got the first one to fly out the front door but after hours of searching couldn't find the second.. until just now. It was floating in a back chamber of my 50 gal Waterbox AIO. Which means it died and decomposed for 4 entire days in my water. It smelled rancid but appeared to still be intact for the most part. Coincidentally I just setup a small UV sterilizer in that very same chamber earlier today. What do I even do? A huge water change? Do I need to worry about rabies virus in the water? Has anyone ever seen a clownfish with rabies??

Last edited by a moderator:

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great-outdoors-cover-face.gif

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kid you not, can't make this stuff up. Had a 2 bat fiasco in my house 4 days ago. Got the first one to fly out the front door but after hours of searching couldn't find the second.. until just now. It was floating in a back chamber of my 50 gal Waterbox AIO. Which means it died and decomposed for 4 entire days in my water. It smelled rancid but appeared to still be intact for the most part. Coincidentally I just setup a small UV sterilizer in that very same chamber earlier today. What do I even do? A huge water change? Do I need to worry about rabies virus in the water? Has anyone ever seen a clownfish with rabies??

Maybe a healthy water change, but I wouldn't worry too much. Fish die in tanks all the time and sometimes, those fish are not retrievable. The nitrifying bacteria colony will take care of that. And rabies won't be an issue.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve heard of batfish before but never….

Ps. Some great info already given in the thread about maybe running some carbon and a water change.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard of batfish before but never….

Ps. Some great info already given in the thread about maybe running some carbon and a water change.
And maybe find how these bats are getting in, and stopping that, because prevention is the best step.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 81 75.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 14 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back